Has anyone been on the biobay tour within the last few months

queenL

We did the Biobay boat tour about 3 weeks ago. It was great! They have tarps on the sides of the boats that they deploy. That way it is pitch black so you can see the biolights. The boat ride on was great too. There is a lot to see on the way to the bay and it was great in the boat (versus having to paddle in the pitch black night).

We did the Biobay boat tour about 3 weeks ago. It was great! They have tarps on the sides of the boats that they deploy. That way it is pitch black so you can see the biolights. The boat ride on was great too. There is a lot to see on the way to the bay and it was great in the boat (versus having to paddle in the pitch black night).

Any concern about the Zika virus ?

Not at all. We applied bug spray with deets and didn't have any issues. Unless you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnancy in the next few years, then the risk of Zika is no higher than being bite by other bad things in the Caribbean.

I am mildly concerned about Zika but we were planning to go the insect repellant route also. I've heard that insect repellant damages the biolife. Did they say anything about that during the tour? As well, there have been good studies about the use of Vitamin B1 to deter insects. I don't want to kayak though. It must be a boat. I've kayaked 2 times in my life and it was 2 times too many. :) Kayaking in pitch darkness is a no go. Did you go on your own? If so, how did you get to the boat? I was trying to see if it would be worth the trouble to arrange this independently.

Edited by queenL

What boat tour did you take?

What boat tour did you take?

We did our tour through Bio Island. http://Www.Bioislandpr.com

Great crew and equipment! We booked and paid for it online as some of the time slots were selling out. His website is very informative and there are good pics on TripAdvisor and youtube. There are a bunch of companies that do different types of boat and kayak tours and a lot of the sames are similar so look for the logos etc on his sight. You will see what I mean when you pull into the bay in Fajardo![emoji2]

I am mildly concerned about Zika but we were planning to go the insect repellant route also. I've heard that insect repellant damages the biolife. Did they say anything about that during the tour? As well, there have been good studies about the use of Vitamin B1 to deter insects. I don't want to kayak though. It must be a boat. I've kayaked 2 times in my life and it was 2 times too many. :) Kayaking in pitch darkness is a no go. Did you go on your own? If so, how did you get to the boat? I was trying to see if it would be worth the trouble to arrange this independently.

They did not say anything about the bug spray and I am sure everyone was wearing it but you only put your hands and a little bit of your arm actually in the water. The boat is driven by a few tour guys. They have spot lights that they will turn in and show you all kinds of wildlife in the mangrove trees as you travel toward the bay. All you have to do it sit back and relax!![emoji2]

Did this last month.....the conditions due to swells had not been great but it was our only chance and while we were not overwhelmed we enjoyed the boat ride and saw a lot of miserable kyakers.......the boat was way better....a naturalist pointing stuff out in the mangroves on the way out......got a few jelly fish to light up.....no bugs at all....no spray offered or used.....used bioisland.....tours with ellis picked us up at 10am.....we did a lot of stuff..,ellis drove us to the dock area and picked us up .....finally back at the hotel at 10pm....an awesome day and night...