First Time Cruiser - Will Be My HoneyMoon - Advice?

The only place to rent a cabana ahead of time would be on Labadee (RCI's private beach location), but they're very expensive and for some you have to be in a grand suite or above. Oasis and/or Allure don't go to Coco Cay, since they never tender. You can reserve a day pass at numerous resorts, but you have to know where you're going first. Check the ports of call board for lots of good ideas. You can also just look for ideas on trip advisor.

We're taking our 3rd cruise out of Bayonne at the end of the month. I do get seasick, but it hasn't stopped me from cruising! I take a Bonine the night before I get on the ship and every night of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How are the beaches at ports? Crowded? Can you rent cabanas or umbrellas ahead of time? How good and expensive are drinks?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Totally depends on where you're going. Some places have great all-inclusive day passes that will get you a chair and umbrella and all you can eat and drink. At some ports, it's best to do a different kind of excursion (tubing, snorkeling, etc).

Can you remind me which cruises you're thinking of and which ports they stop at? That way we can tell you what are the most popular things at each port.

Edited by bluegirlum

How are the beaches at ports?

Unfortunately, Eastern or Western itineraries aboard one of these ultra-mega ships visit ports that are frequented, not only by thousands of day cruisers, but also by land tourists staying at nearby hotels. It's not uncommon at ports like Cozumel and Nassau to be one of over 15,000 cruise passengers arriving simultaneously on various ships. The best way to avoid the crowds in general is to sail on a smaller ship on an itinerary that takes you to more "off the beaten path" destinations, like on a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

However, if you have your eyes set on one of the Oasis ships, there are still ways to get away from the crowds and enjoy a more secluded experience. First of all, get away from the immediate vicinity of port and even farther away from any cruise ship organized beach excursion. Visit the destination boards here on Cruise Critic and even better, research other travel non-cruise websites for recommendations. Not only will you stay clear of the crowds, but you may also find a secret gem.

Edited by Tapi

Unfortunately, Eastern or Western itineraries aboard one of these ultra-mega ships visit ports that are frequented, not only by thousands of day cruisers, but also by land tourists staying at nearby hotels. It's not uncommon at ports like Cozumel and Nassau to be one of over 15,000 cruise passengers arriving simultaneously on various ships. The best way to avoid the crowds in general is to sail on a smaller ship on an itinerary that takes you to more "off the beaten path" destinations, like on a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

However, if you have your eyes set on one of the Oasis ships, there are still ways to get away from the crowds and enjoy a more secluded experience. First of all, get away from the immediate vicinity of port and even farther away from any cruise ship organized beach excursion. Visit the destination boards here on Cruise Critic and even better, research other travel non-cruise websites for recommendations. Not only will you stay clear of the crowds, but you may also find a secret gem.

I've actually had my favorite excursions in Cozumel and Nassau. We just did a snorkeling excursion in Nassau where we only had 8 people on our boat, instead of the crowded boats with over 100 people where you're snorkeling on top of each other. It was amazing. We found it on trip advisor. And in Cozumel we found a private beach excursion. Even though there were 6 ships in that day, there were maybe only 30 people at the beach. We snorkeled, got massages and had unlimited food and drinks. You can find something good anywhere.

That said , as a first time cruiser I would recommend using a TA. There are questions during the booking process that a TA can answer . They can basically arrange everything including the flight to FL.

This and they could possibly even give you some on board credit or arrange some chocolate covered strawberries or something to be in your room for your honeymoon....