Bathroom and cleaning products be careful

ARI421

From a biochemist:

There is NO need to line the toilet seat before going. You aren't going to catch anything from sitting on the seat. Total urban legend. A quick Google search will show you that based on numerous tests over many years the toilet seat is actually one of the cleaner objects we come into contact with in public spaces. It has lower incidence of harmful microbes than doorknobs, public phones(when they were a thing) remote controls, and your OWN cell phone in most cases. The part of your body that touches the seat stays covered and protected from microbes. So if you don't put on a glove or use a tissue to open doors, use utensils at a buffet, or touch surfaces like bars and handrails, you don't need to line the seat either. you really aren't doing anything, it's just perception.

Thanks for sharing. If you hadn't I may also get a sad rash on my butt :(. Butts everywhere are thanking you.

As for sitting on a toilet seat uncovered- I don't line it because it's a ton of TP and it always moves off the seat in the split second that I turn my back and put my butt down. Also, it is 1 ply and not actually a barrier for anything

Also true that the toilet seats are actually pretty clean. Pee is sterile :D. And purse bottoms and door handles are far more responsible for disease and icky things

I have also heard that toilet seats are actually pretty clean compared to many other things.

*Occasionally* I will encounter a toilet seat that is just too grody for me to want to sit on. And maybe no seat covers available. If I choose to hover, I PUT THE SEAT UP. Then it doesn't get peed on. You can use a piece of toilet paper in your hand to raise and lower the seat so you don't have to touch it. (Or even use your foot.)

I once read, "If you can't be a lady and sit down, be a gentleman and put the seat up!" Makes sense to me!

Sorry about O/P's experience and thank you for passing along the info.

From a biochemist:

There is NO need to line the toilet seat before going. You aren't going to catch anything from sitting on the seat. Total urban legend. A quick Google search will show you that based on numerous tests over many years the toilet seat is actually one of the cleaner objects we come into contact with in public spaces. It has lower incidence of harmful microbes than doorknobs, public phones(when they were a thing) remote controls, and your OWN cell phone in most cases. The part of your body that touches the seat stays covered and protected from microbes. So if you don't put on a glove or use a tissue to open doors, use utensils at a buffet, or touch surfaces like bars and handrails, you don't need to line the seat either. you really aren't doing anything, it's just perception.

Perfectly stated!

To the OP, sorry for your discomfort. Hope you get better soon.

I was under the impression that most women "hover" if they are just making a liquid deposit. My wife does this and I am pretty sure she has taught my 7 year old girl to do the same at school, since the school has shorter toilets. I am not sure if they lift the seat first or not, I didn't get into the details.

I thought this was commonplace. My workplace is small and we have a single stall toilet that is used by everyone. The cleaning lady put up a sign that says "Gentlemen, please stand closer, it's shorter than you think. Ladies, please stay seated for the entire performance."

It's not often talked about, but I know men and women who also hover while dropping off the kids. I guess that's one way to build your calf muscles!

Thanks for sharing. If you hadn't I may also get a sad rash on my butt :(. Butts everywhere are thanking you.

As for sitting on a toilet seat uncovered- I don't line it because it's a ton of TP and it always moves off the seat in the split second that I turn my back and put my butt down. Also, it is 1 ply and not actually a barrier for anything

Also true that the toilet seats are actually pretty clean. Pee is sterile :D. And purse bottoms and door handles are far more responsible for disease and icky things

Well now, if you saw the critters I've seen under the scope you wouldn't say urine is sterile. Perhaps from a healthy individual with no UTI or STD...

But even a healthy person is not producing a clean catch in a public bathroom as it is picking up bacteria on its way out.

As for lining the seat, that's for my comfort. Granted the paper can fly off while you're sitting but if you've wiped the seat it's not going to kill you.

And trust me, you DO need to wipe the seat because of "hoverers" lol.

Some people hover for ALL situations and miss, JS, ;)

Edited by Medtech2