Valencia

Hi all,

Is Valencia doable by ourselves?

We've 2 adults + 1 child (4y).

We want to get a glimpse of the Town and somehing more if someone recommends. We don't want to visit the Aquarium as we will already be visiting Genoa's previously on our cruise.

Thank you all!

We have done Valencia on our own (from the train station) with a lot of walking (miles). And it was a wonderful day. The Valencia Marketplace was a fun diversion which we recommend. But perhaps we are biased since DW and I love to hit the markets thoughout Europe. You learn lots about a culture in the local markets and we also find them a lot of fun.

Hank

Hi all,

Is Valencia doable by ourselves?

We've 2 adults + 1 child (4y).

We want to get a glimpse of the Town and somehing more if someone recommends. We don't want to visit the Aquarium as we will already be visiting Genoa's previously on our cruise.

Thank you all!

From cruise terminal take bus 4 to old town in 22 minutes, single fare is 1,50 € or the T1 day pass for 4,00 €.

http://www.lovevalencia.com/en/things-to-do

http://www.valencia-cityguide.com/tourist-information/city-maps/

Michael

The aquarium in Valencia is supposed to be one of the best in the world. I have visited the one in Genoa and can't say I remember anything remarkable about it.

If you go into the centre of Valencia where the market is, there is the La Bolsa which used to be the old exchange, a beautiful building inside. You can walk from there through the narrow old streets to Plaza Redonda an interesting square which has a small market and on to the cathedral which is worth a visit.

You could take a tram down to the beach front of Malvarossa and have a delicious paella for lunch.

The train station, which is near to the bull ring, has some lovely ceramics on the outside. There is a ceramics museum in the centre too You could visit the Lladro factory. There is good shopping. Visit the nature reserve at La Albufera.

The beautiful baroque buildings have been renovated in recent years making Valencia a very attractive city. The river Turia which once ran through the the city centre dried up and they have built a nice park area in the river bed.

There are lots of things to see and do on your own in Valencia

Good resource is Valencia tourism website. http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/home Major attractions are modern architecture of City of Arts and Science and nearby Oceanographic, dried Turia gardens and city center (can look for Plaza Ayuntamiento). Nearby attractions are central market, bull ring and just general architecture. For a child zoo (Biopark) may be a good option. I didn't go but its considered one of the better ones.

Public transit is cheap but need plastic 1€ card (can be bough from vending machine) to load fares. Taxis are also reasonable.

Don't miss the old railway st and the stunning tiles. Local nougat, and drink a sweet cold drink called orchata (made from a local dried fruit called chufa) and dunk fartons in it. A kind of churros (fried dough)

I think the nougat you mean is Turron , which is traditionally eaten at Christmas. These days you can buy it all year around in most supermarkets.

The Horchata is made from chufas, which in English are tiger nuts. Personally, I don't like it, but it is very typical of Valencia.

Dread to think what 'fartons' are?

Well. Like fingers sponge cakes. Turron is not sold in most Spain except at Christmas. Behind the Lonja there are some traditional shops which made them and sell it all year round as it's so traditional. Either Jijona or Alicante type it's something completely different to the industrial packs sold in the supermarkets.

Thanks for the chufa translation.

keltic

You don't get the selection of Turron all year round like at Christmas, but you can certainly find it all over Spain all year round in places like Mercadona, El Corte Ingles etc. I know because I have bought it.

In fact, you can get it in Carrefour in Cite de Europe at Calais.

Of course you can but it's not that easy. In small places like where I live it's not available even at Hipercor. It's much easier in airports and touristical places.

Can I just remind our American visitors that the city is broke, and that all the admittedly fantastic new buildings mean that local residents are unable to obtain medicines as the ayunramiento is bankrupt.

Can I just remind our American visitors that the city is broke, and that all the admittedly fantastic new buildings mean that local residents are unable to obtain medicines as the ayunramiento is bankrupt.

?????

What are you mean by "local residents are unable to obtain medicines as the Ayuntamiento is bankrupt?. Of course they have finnancial problems as many in the world but this doesn't have anything to do with medicines.

Valencia is quite a prosperous city. Medicines are provided to any one by the National Health Service. OAPs only paying simbolic amounts (8-18 euros maximum each month) and the rest of us 40% of the amount.

For special economic situations there are even further reductions. Of course many things should be fixed but we are specially proud of our almost universal health service.

Edited by keltic

Health care in Spain is very good.

keltic

In all the years I lived in Spain ( including Comunidad Valenciana) I have never seen those pastries. They look like xuxos, typical of Catalunya, but they have custard inside, so presume they are different?

Health care in Spain is very good.

keltic

In all the years I lived in Spain ( including Comunidad Valenciana) I have never seen those pastries. They look like xuxos, typical of Catalunya, but they have custard inside, so presume they are different?

We do not want to get into a political discussion regarding Spanish healthcare. But once upon a time I got very sick while on a long driving trip in France and Europe. The worst day happened in San Sebastian, Spain when I had servere GI Pain. Our hotel sent us across the street to a Spanish National Health Care Clinic and the doctor saw me immediately. After a quick exam he told me he feared I might have acute appendicitis and needed to go to a hospital. He wrote down the address of a local emergency hospital and DW and I grabbed a taxi and went to that facility. After waiting over an hour in the waiting room (typical around the world) a physician came into the waiting room and asked me out into the hall. His English was pretty good and he asked about my symptoms...and told me to go back to the waiting room. About an hour later, DW when to the ladies room (near the ER) and when she returned she said the rest room was really filthy. By that time, more then 2 hours after we had arrived, my pain had been significantly reduced and we decided not to stay in a dirty emergency hospital and actually used the local bus to get back to our hotel. My thinking was if I had another major attack we would call an ambulance and perhaps get some real care. The following day I felt a lot better and we jumped in our car and quickly drove to France where they do have really good healthcare.

Hank

P.S. Never had another attack on that trip so a week later we returned to the USA. After extensive tests it was determined that my pain was likely caused by a Kidney Stone....although there was no way to know for sure. Having spent several years, in my early years, as a Certified Paramedic, I had a lot of experience working in ERs and Emergency Care. What we experienced in San Sebastian was not even close to the modern standard of care. Perhaps the rest of Spain is better....but I hope to never find out :)

Edited by Hlitner

I respect your oppinion, and experience. False diagnostics happens everywhere as we are human beings. I wonder if this has been on an AMBULATORIO (first aid and family doctors) or a proper hospital?. Probably you found the wrong guy. I did sometimes here, abroad and on many cruise lines.

We have problems concerning waiting lists. Of course we don't have old dirty hospitals, and quality of service is as good as anywhere including the US.

Actually more than my opinion

Who (world health organzation). By countries...

5c3d3da06cc7af3d61d2daa0af0c18b7.jpg

So not talking about it. Just one thing to mention. When cruising to Spain you will have good service in our hospitals, good profesionals and the same level human errors to somewhere else. And FREE for everyone.

The message I want to give instead of alarming people coming over is to feel confident in case you feel sick in this county.

Edited by keltic

Health care in Spanish hospitals has improved drastically in the past 20 years. It is certainly as good as and sometimes better than what we have in the UK.

Hlitner may be talking about years ago during the Franco era. In those days it was bad. I'm glad I didn't have to use any of their medical services in those days. Yes, does sound like he went to an ambulatory of, which gives emergency care, but doesn't have the facilities of a hospital.