Vintage Clothing

ClanMcLean

I can certainly recommend this dress at this price:

http://www.phase-eight.com/angele-sequin-dress//phase-eight/fcp-productdetail/202740731?locale=en

You will, however, have to pay to have the side zip taken out as it's the opposite of "concealed" and, in my opinion, spoils the finish of the dress - the "alteration" cost me £15 at my local dry cleaners. I shall be wearing mine, on a smart casual evening, in July - I always wear long on a formal night. I will admit though that the sequinned dresses are heavy so probably not so good for anyone who has to fly to/from a cruise.

My dress arrived this morning and I am really happy with it. I actually like the way the zip has been fitted, quite current, so I shan't need to do any more to it.

Thanks very much for the tip :)

Pleased you like - as you may have guessed, I'm not very trendy! In fact, I got quite a shock the other week when I saw some trendy youngsters with, clearly, dyed grey hair - on googling "grey hair trend" I was shocked to discover that I was, in fact, trendy with my natural hair colour!

Enjoy your next cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We do vintage look. Not actual vintage clothing, but new stuff that looks vintage. They hold up better, fit better and if you damage them you don't feel as bad. My wife always dresses 30's style on formal nights.

I asked her and she mentions a few websites:

simplybe

vintagedancer

gatsbylady

peterman

You can also google various art deco societies and check out their links if 30s/40s is for you.

It's a little harder for men. White dinner jackets will generate scorned from the fashion police. Same for spectator shoes or correspondent shoes if you're British. (Although I wear them on QM2.)

It making packing more interesting if you have to fly to/from the ship. Vintage clothing, together with shoes, bags, etc. take up a lot of room.

FYI: If you're ever near Los Angles in August, the Art Deco Society of LA does a great vintage weekend on the original Queen Mary now stationed in Long Beach.

We do vintage look. Not actual vintage clothing, but new stuff that looks vintage. They hold up better, fit better and if you damage them you don't feel as bad. My wife always dresses 30's style on formal nights.

I asked her and she mentions a few websites:

simplybe

vintagedancer

gatsbylady

peterman

You can also google various art deco societies and check out their links if 30s/40s is for you.

It's a little harder for men. White dinner jackets will generate scorned from the fashion police. Same for spectator shoes or correspondent shoes if you're British. (Although I wear them on QM2.)

It making packing more interesting if you have to fly to/from the ship. Vintage clothing, together with shoes, bags, etc. take up a lot of room.

FYI: If you're ever near Los Angles in August, the Art Deco Society of LA does a great vintage weekend on the original Queen Mary now stationed in Long Beach.

Thanks for website suggestions!

If you look on YouTube and search for "One Legged Jockey" vintage clothes emporium they have a video of the shop. It is at Southsea, reasonable drive from Southampton. You may establish from the name it's a bit quirky!

Regards John

Edited by john watson