Questions- Crown Princess Cruise

kshelly057

Hi there. My husband and I are scheduled to go on our first ever cruise--to Alaska in late May. We have never been on a cruise before so we don't really know what to expect. I have a few questions (they may be silly) but would be great to know for packing/planning purposes. Any other feedback or suggestions would be wonderful as well!

1. Is breakfast and lunch complimentary the same as dinner? What are the places you have to pay extra for?

2. Is coffee provided for free or do we have to pay?

3. Are there hairdryers in the cabins or should I bring my own?

4. Will we receive a schedule of events happening on the ship prior or will we get that on the ship?

5. Should we book shore excursions prior or will there be cheaper options when we get to port? Thoughts on that?

I would appreciate any feedback or tips as we plan for our first cruise!

Thanks in advance :)

Katy

1. Breakfast and lunch are complimentary. There are a couple of specialty restaurants on board with a cover charge.

2. Non-brewed coffee is free but a lot of people don't like it. Specialty coffees and brewed coffee have a charge. You can buy a coffee card which gives you unlimited brewed coffee and a certain number of specialty coffees (I think 15).

3. There are hairdryers. I've always found them adequate but you can bring your own if you prefer.

4. You will receive a daily newsheet on board with details of all activities.

5. Not having been to Alaska, I don't know about the availability of excursions at the port.

Hi there. My husband and I are scheduled to go on our first ever cruise--to Alaska in late May. We have never been on a cruise before so we don't really know what to expect. I have a few questions (they may be silly) but would be great to know for packing/planning purposes. Any other feedback or suggestions would be wonderful as well!

1. Is breakfast and lunch complimentary the same as dinner? Yes. What are the places you have to pay extra for?

2. Is coffee provided for free or do we have to pay? Regular coffee is free. The special coffees are extra.

3. Are there hairdryers in the cabins Yes or should I bring my own?

4. Will we receive a schedule of events happening on the ship prior or will we get that on the ship? You will get that on the ship each evening when you go to dinner for the next day. On the day you board the Platters (the ship's newspaper) will be in your room.

5. Should we book shore excursions prior or will there be cheaper options when we get to port? Thoughts on that? I recommend that a first time cruiser book through the ship, and thus I recommend that you do so in advance. Are there cheaper options at the port? Yes. But you really need to know what you are doing and you need to do your homework before you do it. As a first time cruiser you are not going to know what to look for. So for a first timer play it safe and just book through the ship.

Katy

I was just on the Crown about one month ago. I was not in Alaska, so much of my review will not apply. However, I also took lots of pictures and do describe what a port day and what a sea day are like. That routine does not change and the pictures might be helpful. Below is a link to my review ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316257

Also, I recommend that you join the roll call for your cruise.

Edited by Cuizer2

Hi Katy - welcome to Cruise Critic.

Princess is a great cruise line for Alaska as they can sail into areas that several other cruise lines are not permitted to visit.

Good to see you found your Roll Call, as you will find a lot of information there and people are always willing to answer any and all questions you might have. (By the way - there are no silly questions when sailing.) I have had the pleasure of sailing with cruiseintoheaven (Lynn) and Kenosha Cruiser (Ken) and they are both a wealth of information as well as delightful people. I think that Lynn and her husband (Tom) will be on your cruise.

My DH (dear husband) and I will be taking a cruise to Alaska in September. While we have cruised several times, this is our first visit to Alaska. I agree with the responses that encourage you to book your excursions through the ship - or go with a group of more experienced cruisers that are part of your Roll Call. I tend to over-research everything, but below are websites that I found helpful for our planning:

What clothes to pack for Alaska

http://www.alaska.org/advice/what-to-wear-in-alaska

http://www.alaska.org/advice/alaska-packing-list

Information about ports:

http://www.alaskaportreviews.com/

I don't know where you live, but travelers are always encouraged to arrive at the departure city a day before the cruise leaves, just to be safe. Not good to start a wonderful vacation worried that a flight delay/traffic mishap will cause you to miss the ship.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience and, like so many of us, you'll book your next cruise on board. Cruising is wonderfully addictive.:D Kay

Hi Katy! Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Think most of your questions have been answered.

Just adding ... Be sure to give the IC (International Café) a try for a variety of yummy things 24 hours a day at n/c.

If you like pizza, don't miss going to the pizza station (n/c). Princess is know for having the best pizza at sea.

Crown Princess is one of our very favorite ships. Look forward to having a wonderful cruise. :D

1. Is breakfast and lunch complimentary the same as dinner? What are the places you have to pay extra for? Unless you go to the specialty restaurants you will have a hard time finding food you need to pay for. You virtually can eat 24/7 without spending a dime.

3. Are there hairdryers in the cabins or should I bring my own? Yes there is a hair dryer but I bring my own. I hate those ones that clip into the wall.

4. Will we receive a schedule of events happening on the ship prior or will we get that on the ship? On the ship and if you need extras stop by the Purser's Desk and get them.

5. Should we book shore excursions prior or will there be cheaper options when we get to port? Thoughts on that? As said above - book long before you go and research.

Katy

My thoughts. Welcome to Cruise Critic, cruising and Princess. You are going to love all three. As others have said, your questions were not silly.

We were on Crown Princess last month.

1. Is breakfast and lunch complimentary the same as dinner? What are the places you have to pay extra for?

Yes, everything in the dining room is included. I'd recommend the Crab Shack ($20pp). It was well worth it and tons of great food. You need to make a reservation. Press the dine button on your phone.

2. Is coffee provided for free or do we have to pay?

Get the coffee card if you're a Starbucks kind of person. It's $30 and gets you 15 coffee drinks (any kind). That's $2 each as opposed to $4-$5 each. We used all but one punch on the card. You can get the card the first day at the International Cafe.

3. Are there hairdryers in the cabins or should I bring my own?

They have cheesy wall mounted dryers. Bring your own small one. Also, bring a power strip. There's only one outlet at the desk. You'll need more outlets for your tech, hair dryer, etc.

4. Will we receive a schedule of events happening on the ship prior or will we get that on the ship?

You get the Princess Patter every evening. It has the next day's schedule of events. Princess also has a free on board app called Princess @sea. You can see the list of events, your cabin account and more with it. I used my iPod touch to access the site.

5. Should we book shore excursions prior or will there be cheaper options when we get to port? Thoughts on that?

Do your research. The on board xcursions have a premium price. You can do the same or better for less on your own. We've been to Alaska twice and have done our own thing each time.

You'll enjoy the Crown Princess!

Edited by tonyweir

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Princess.com sign in to cruise planner and read all the regs on what can and can't be brought aboard. Plan on dock arrival around 11 AM and get in line. When you get aboard, give the keys to the Captain, you get your picture taken, get an ID card and you go up to the Horizon Court and eat. After, they usually announce you may go to your cabin about 1PM as they like you to wait while they haul all the luggage carts up. Your luggage will be in front of your door. They will have lifeboat drills at 330 or so, Pay attention. You don't want to be in a 3 AM emergency and not know what to do. It will make you the calm person who takes over the panicky tourist. Then you Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Repeat. Your ID card is you Credit card aboard ship. Listen to tonyweir!

Edited by WupperAV

Go to Princess.com sign in to cruise planner and read all the regs on what can and can't be brought aboard. Plan on dock arrival around 11 AM and get in line. When you get aboard, give the keys to the Captain, you get your picture taken, get an ID card and you go up to the Horizon Court and eat. After, they usually announce you may go to your cabin about 1PM as they like you to wait while they haul all the luggage carts up. Your luggage will be in front of your door. They will have lifeboat drills at 330 or so, Pay attention. You don't want to be in a 3 AM emergency and not know what to do. It will make you the calm person who takes over the panicky tourist. Then you Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Eat Sleep, Repeat. Your ID card is you Credit card aboard ship. Listen to tonyweir!

With 28 Princess cruises under my belt I have never once boarded when my cabin was not ready and I like to board as soon as possible. I also never have heard any announcement stating our cabins were now ready nor seen any luggage carts in the hallway. There has always been an area where the luggage is brought to for distribution on that deck.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Lunch is available in one of the dinning rooms on the first day until about 1 p.m., check the Patter to see which one is open.

First thing go to your room and drop off carry-ons and pick up the Patter. Take the Patter with you to lunch so you can use the time waiting for food to read up on all the activities for the day. Choose to share a table at lunch, many of the people who go to the dinning room for lunch are very knowledgeable.

If for some reason your room is not available you can pick up a Patter at guest services.