Drink suggestions with low sugar or no sugar

Toya1228

Hi!

I am going on the BA soon with my husband and 2 kids and I am so glad that my parents will be able to join me. Believe it or not but my parents have never really been on a nice vacation. They work so hard and deserve a break so I am dragging them along with me. My question is about the alcoholic drinks. Are there any drink suggestion that have either a sugar free option or a low sugar option. I know the basic Rum and diet coke but since my mom is diabetic I wanted to be able to help her pick something at the bar other than that. Has anyone ordered a "sugar-free" version of some drinks?? I want her to be able to relax with a slushy drink in her hand. Thanks for any suggestions.

They can mix the slushy ice with pretty much anything. I'd go with either a plain or citrus vodka, some fresh squeezed lemon juice, and the shaved ice. Simple and refreshing with none of the sugary mixes. Low calorie too!

Edited by lbrandon

I'd figure out what they like, then google the amounts of fructose in those brands. The best bets are going to be clear liquids, such as vodka and gin, mixed with soda water and fresh lemon and lime. I'd give up the idea of a slushy drink, because all those mixers are going to be loaded with sugar.

Edited by LrgPizza

Flavored vodka and soda is a good choice. Dirty martini also works well. Gin and soda with lots of lime is good if you like gin. I am a low carb person so I've been dealing with this for a while and those are my go to drinks. Blood Mary has sugar in it even though it doesn't seem like it. The mix typically has lots of carbs from added sugar and the tomato juice has natural sugar. If you're going the diet coke route, vanilla vodka with diet coke is a nice change from rum. It's too bad you can't find diet tonic anywhere other than the grocery store. That's one of my go to drink mixers.

Cheers!

I found 6skinny girl pineapple coconut water enhancer (liquid) and order vodka soda and squirt my own stuff in! I prefer it over a pina colada any day! My sister skips the club soda for just plain water and vodka. Lemonade flavor or any other flavor works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I found 6skinny girl pineapple coconut water enhancer (liquid) and order vodka soda and squirt my own stuff in! I prefer it over a pina colada any day! My sister skips the club soda for just plain water and vodka. Lemonade flavor or any other flavor works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where did u find the skinny girl mix stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider this another recommendation for flavored vodka over soda water. This is my go to low sugar/low carb drink. Mandarin/orange vodka and soda is particularly good.

I imagine a cucumber gin (if you like gin) or vodka plus soda water would be nice as well.

Stupid question, but I thought you weren't supposed to drink alcohol if you are a diabetic?

Alcohol is not a carbohydrate, so shouldn't really have an effect on blood sugar. If a person is diabetic and takes insulin or other medications they should check with their doctor or pharmacist to see if drinking alcohol is contradicted. Persons on a low carbohydrate diet for diabetes or otherwise do need to consider that beer is high in carbs, and wines may or may not be, depending on the variety. Most unflavored hard alcohol is low in carbs/sugars.

100% agave tequila. It is the perfect hard alcohol for diabetics if you don't have it with pop (diet or regular as they are both VERY bad for you), margarita mix, ect. Google the health benefits of it. On the rocks or straight up if possible. Tequila has been given a bad reputation from the garbage Jose Cuervo Gold and other US tequila bottlers. In the US, in order for it to be called tequila it only needs to be 51% tequila (sad isn't it). Tequila that says "gold" is another term for "mixto" which is tequila ruined with other garbage i.e. sugar.

Edited by kdzkatz

100% agave tequila. It is the perfect hard alcohol for diabetics if you don't have it with pop (diet or regular as they are both VERY bad for you), margarita mix, ect. Google the health benefits of it. On the rocks or straight up if possible. Tequila has been given a bad reputation from the garbage Jose Cuervo Gold and other US tequila bottlers. In the US, in order for it to be called tequila it only needs to be 51% tequila (sad isn't it). Tequila that says "gold" is another term for "mixto" which is tequila ruined with other garbage i.e. sugar.

Agave is extremely high levels of fructose. Anything ending in "ose" is a sugar. The OP is looking for low sugar.

I thought I remember seeing that they have the skinny mixers for margaritas and mojitos but it has been awhile since I looked.

That would be great if they have skinny mixers on board. I am sure my dad and husband will be off at the bars so all these suggestions will be great to have while my mom and I are walking around with the kids and I can help pick some stuff out for her. She has never really been a drinker so something light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alcohol is not a carbohydrate, so shouldn't really have an effect on blood sugar. If a person is diabetic and takes insulin or other medications they should check with their doctor or pharmacist to see if drinking alcohol is contradicted. Persons on a low carbohydrate diet for diabetes or otherwise do need to consider that beer is high in carbs, and wines may or may not be, depending on the variety. Most unflavored hard alcohol is low in carbs/sugars.

While alcohol is generally 'low carb', it very much does have an effect on blood sugar. As a Type 1 diabetic (previously called juvenile onset, the one where we have to take insulin), I have to be very careful about eating while drinking, otherwise I will end up with a dangerously low blood sugar the morning after. I'm assuming she's more likely a Type 2, but the affects still stand.

On this point, I actually try to drink things that do have a little (little. not regular soda, no straight juice, but a little) bit of sugar in them to help counteract the low blood sugar inducement of alcohol.

Edited by m32446