Gold Rush experiences in Skagway

willtravel8090

There is Liarsville, which is a recreated gold camp, with a salmon bake.

If you're interested in the history, then a walk around Bennett is a great option, via the White Pass RR, BUT there was NO gold in Skagway, over 500 miles away in Dawson.

The history of the gold rush could be a better use of time with a stop at the Park service http://www.nps.gov/klgo

Edited by Budget Queen

I will be heading to Skagway in early June on the Ruby Princess. My friends was to do a Gold Rush type of experience. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The DW and I have sailed Alaska twice before and enjoyed the Best of Skagway tour. Bus trip up White Pass, train ride back to Skagway, Bus up to the overlook, and a Salmon bake lunch, show, and Gold panning exhibition at Liarsville. We had a blast on this excursion.

btw, skip Diamonds International, its a cruise line trap.

Gold was not found actually in Skagway, but Skagway was an entry point for some heading to the Klondike gold rush. But Dyea, which is now a ghost town, is easy to access from Skagway. The National Park Service has identified some of building remnants, there is a campground, and the Chilkoot Trail begins there. Very interesting to just walk about an hour or so on the Chilkoot Trail.

Mine was booked through HAL on my first trip. However, I see other cruise lines offer a similar itinerary with the same name. I recommend looking at the "Best Of.... " for port combo ideas as a "base" and consider other excursions if you see something else important to you. Yukon? Streetcar? Bennett Lake? Ziplines? Horseback? Musher's camp? Bicycle tour? Helicopter? Boat excursions?

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-230

Edited by xlxo