Oslo Tours

There aren't a lot of private tours in Oslo, because of the high labor costs. However, it's a very easy city to get around on your own. If you figure out what you want to do/see, we can certainly help you figure out how to do it!

If you really want a tour, HMK offers a few bus tours of the city:

http://sightseeingoslo.com/

And Tours by Locals is kind of like AirBnB for tours and offers a few that are run by individuals:

https://www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour

There aren't a lot of private tours in Oslo, because of the high labor costs. However, it's a very easy city to get around on your own. If you figure out what you want to do/see, we can certainly help you figure out how to do it!

And Tours by Locals is kind of like AirBnB for tours and offers a few that are run by individuals:

Thank you. This is helpful. I have not been to Oslo although I have taken the 12 night RT Hurtigruten Norway Coastal Voyage out of Bergen which I loved. I went 3 years ago this month.

Since I've just booked this cruise and since I've never been to Oslo, I'm only now beginning my research. I'd welcome some ideas of what you consider the best things to see and/or do there.

Edited by ILoveScotland

My personal favorites in Oslo are: Akerhus, Viking Ship Museum, and the Norwegian Folk Village (living history).

Trip Advisor will have web site links and reviews and is a good place to start your research. Oslo is easily walkable. There is an easy water taxi/ferry to the Viking Ship Museum and Norwegian Folk Village. We visited Oslo as land-based tourists and easily toured on foot/no car/no taxis. If you choose to explore the surrounding countryside the trains are efficient, comfortable, and very much "on time."

My personal favorites in Oslo are: Akerhus, Viking Ship Museum, and the Norwegian Folk Village (living history).

Trip Advisor will have web site links and reviews and is a good place to start your research. Oslo is easily walkable. There is an easy water taxi/ferry to the Viking Ship Museum and Norwegian Folk Village. We visited Oslo as land-based tourists and easily toured on foot/no car/no taxis. If you choose to explore the surrounding countryside the trains are efficient, comfortable, and very much "on time."

Great info. I'm in charge of finding a tour or something for members of our roll call. I may simply offer suggestions of things to see and do and ask if people would like to go to some of the places as an informal group from the ship.

My choice for must-sees would be Vigelands Sculpture Park and the Viking burial ships, because they're both very unique to Oslo.

The Folk Museum is also quite nice, but it has a lot of similarities to Skansen in Stockholm, if you're going there. It has an example of an iconic Norwegian stave church, which is quite nice.

I also really like the Fram polar expedition museum, which covers a lot of history and background behind the north and south polar exploration and houses the Fram polar ship for visitors to explore.

Depending on interests, there are othet places I'd recommend:

National Gallery for art (includes Munch's famous The Scream)

Akershus fortress for nice views of the port area (and onto ship's balcony cabins if you dock alongside it)

Resistance Museum for WWII history

The roof of the opera house for contemporary architecture and more views of the Oslofjord harbor

Holmenkollen ski jump for views of the city from above

Nobel Peace Center for people interested in human rights and for the cool high-tech displays

Emanuel Vigeland's mausoleum if you're there on a Sunday and want to see a very creepy art installation

My choice for must-sees would be Vigelands Sculpture Park and the Viking burial ships, because they're both very unique to Oslo.

The Folk Museum is also quite nice, but it has a lot of similarities to Skansen in Stockholm, if you're going there. It has an example of an iconic Norwegian stave church, which is quite nice.

I also really like the Fram polar expedition museum, which covers a lot of history and background behind the north and south polar exploration and houses the Fram polar ship for visitors to explore.

Depending on interests, there are othet places I'd recommend:

National Gallery for art (includes Munch's famous The Scream)

Akershus fortress for nice views of the port area (and onto ship's balcony cabins if you dock alongside it)

Resistance Museum for WWII history

The roof of the opera house for contemporary architecture and more views of the Oslofjord harbor

Holmenkollen ski jump for views of the city from above

Nobel Peace Center for people interested in human rights and for the cool high-tech displays

Emanuel Vigeland's mausoleum if you're there on a Sunday and want to see a very creepy art installation

Thanks for posting these suggestions. I'll be in Oslo mid December, and I'm going to try and guide my own solo tour. Cheers.

We will be in Oslo in May docked at the cruise terminal. What is the easiest and least expensive way to get to the Viking Ship museum? I see bus 30 goes near there but I am not sure how easy or far it is to catch bus 30. We also just want to see some of the old town tourist shopping area. Where is that located?

Thank you for your advice.

I found we will be docking at the Revierkaia berth. That changed the bus/tram options. Since my wife cannot walk long distances, I was thinking of using the bus 60 stop at Vippetangen and then catching the 30 at Jernbanetorgetv. I don't believe there are any ticket machines at Vippentangen.

Can I purchase a 24 hour pass from the bus driver? In not and I purchase a single ticket from the driver to go to the Viking Museum, do I have to purchase another ticket when I transfer to the 30 bus?

Thank you for your help.

Alan.

I found we will be docking at the Revierkaia berth. That changed the bus/tram options. Since my wife cannot walk long distances, I was thinking of using the bus 60 stop at Vippetangen and then catching the 30 at Jernbanetorgetv. I don't believe there are any ticket machines at Vippentangen.

Can I purchase a 24 hour pass from the bus driver? In not and I purchase a single ticket from the driver to go to the Viking Museum, do I have to purchase another ticket when I transfer to the 30 bus?

Thank you for your help.

Alan.

I'm not certain, but I believe the exit from the Revierkaia pier area is towards the northern end. That means it's about a 7-minute walk south to the Vippetangen stop, compared to a 9-minute walk north to Jernabanetorget (in front of the central station), where you can catch the #30 Bus directly.

You can only purchase single tickets from the bus driver, and they cost 18 NOK extra (cash only, and no notes larger than 200 NOK). Single tickets are essentially "1-hour passes" starting from their first use and include unlimited transfers.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a convenience store (7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Lucas, etc) in the area where you could purchase a ticket ahead of time, and I don't think there is a ticket machine at the Vippetangen bus stop.

At Jernbanetorget, there is a Narvesen right next to the #30 bus stop (it departs from stop A) or a ticket machine right inside the Ruter transit office across the street.

We also just want to see some of the old town tourist shopping area. Where is that located?

There isn't really an old-town tourist district in Oslo the way there is in Stockholm or Tallinn. The main central street is Karl Johans gate, which stretches from the central station to the royal palace and passes the cathedral, parliament, Oslo University, and National Theatre. However, it's more like high-street shopping, with only a few tourist shops (Google Street View gives a pretty accurate impression). It still a nice street for a stroll, though.

I am thinking of either visiting Oslomarka for some hiking or taking the ferry to some of the smaller islands for a picnic.

I have visited the top sites on a previous visit and am interested in something different. Any thoughts?

I am thinking of either visiting Oslomarka for some hiking or taking the ferry to some of the smaller islands for a picnic.

I have visited the top sites on a previous visit and am interested in something different. Any thoughts?

If you only have a day (and the weather is nice), I would lean towards the islands, since it's more convenient to downtown. It's easy to take the ferry out, and I'm always astonished how remote it feels even though it's so close to the city. Hovedøya is a good choice, because even though it's small, there are a few different areas of the island to explore. And the monastery ruins add some character.

For hiking, the most popular short hikes are to take the T-bane to Sognsvann and either walk around the lake or up to Ullevålseter and back. Both are very easy hikes on wide gravel paths. You'll have more impressive scenery if you take the T-bane up to Frognerseteren and explore that area.

Or you can actually stay in the city itself and walk the path up the Akerselva river all the way from the city center to Maridalsvannet. It's a much more urban experience, but the riverbank is park area all the way, and it passes the waterfall and historic mill buildings from the city's early industrial history.

Edited by kaisatsu

I am leaning towards the ferry and exploring the islands. Sounds wonderful.

Do you know if Gressholmen still has rabbits? I read that they exterminated them. I was thinking of visiting this island because my kids love rabbits, but now am not sure. Hovedøya sounds fantastic.

Where can we purchase and catch the ferry in relation to the cruise port?

Thanks so much for your help.

Edited by brazilgirl

I am leaning towards the ferry and exploring the islands. Sounds wonderful.

Do you know if Gressholmen still has rabbits? I read that they exterminated them. I was thinking of visiting this island because my kids love rabbits, but now am not sure. Hovedøya sounds fantastic.

Where can we purchase and catch the ferry in relation to the cruise port?

Thanks so much for your help.

Gressholmen no longer has its rabbits. :( I'm disappointed that I never made it there before they disappeared.

The ferries leave from right in front of the Rådhus (city hall), so if you're docked alongside Akershus Fortress, it's right in front of the pier (near the boat to the Bygdøy museums). The island ferry schedule hasn't come out yet, since it's a seasonal service that starts mid-May, but you can find some information on the tourist info website:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181566

Gressholmen no longer has its rabbits. :( I'm disappointed that I never made it there before they disappeared.

The ferries leave from right in front of the Rådhus (city hall), so if you're docked alongside Akershus Fortress, it's right in front of the pier (near the boat to the Bygdøy museums). The island ferry schedule hasn't come out yet, since it's a seasonal service that starts mid-May, but you can find some information on the tourist info website:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181566

Thank you so much for your help!

I have located the cruise term. and the Historical Museum on my map. Where is the Viking Ship Museum in relation to those two? Are taxis available? What are the costs? Many thanks. Julia

You need to take the ferry to Bygdøy. The Viking Museum ( as well as other great museums such as the Folk Museum) are located there . It is very easy.

Last trip we bought the Oslo Pass which included the transport and entrance to these museums.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/boroughs/bygdoy/

You need to take the ferry to Bygdøy. The Viking Museum ( as well as other great museums such as the Folk Museum) are located there . It is very easy.

Last trip we bought the Oslo Pass which included the transport and entrance to these museums.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/boroughs/bygdoy/

Brazilgirl, I am wondering what your experience was in purchasing the Oslo pass. Our ship docks early and the visitor centre doesn't open until 9am (I think). I am curious as to how quick the purchase process is, and if there is likely to be a rush of people wanting to buy the pass as soon as the centre opens, line-ups etc. I see that some of the hotels near the pier also offer the pass for sale, but not sure if they sell the one-day full pass including transportation and attractions or whether I would need to go to the visitor centre for that. Any advice welcome.

Brazilgirl, I am wondering what your experience was in purchasing the Oslo pass. Our ship docks early and the visitor centre doesn't open until 9am (I think). I am curious as to how quick the purchase process is, and if there is likely to be a rush of people wanting to buy the pass as soon as the centre opens, line-ups etc. I see that some of the hotels near the pier also offer the pass for sale, but not sure if they sell the one-day full pass including transportation and attractions or whether I would need to go to the visitor centre for that. Any advice welcome.

I purchased the Oslo Pass beforehand online and picked it up at the visitor center. There was no line to pick it up and it was extremely easy. I don't remember what time we arrived ( we were on the Eurodam) but having bought the pass ahead of time facilitated things and gave us a discount.

We really enjoyed the experience with the Oslo pass. We visited the Nobel Center, the City Hall, the Viking Museum, the Folk Museum, took the ferry and rode the tram to Vigeland Park.

We had a really nice day and did not feel rushed at all . I felt the Oslo Pass was very worthwhile.

I purchased the Oslo Pass beforehand online and picked it up at the visitor center. There was no line to pick it up and it was extremely easy. I don't remember what time we arrived ( we were on the Eurodam) but having bought the pass ahead of time facilitated things and gave us a discount.

We really enjoyed the experience with the Oslo pass. We visited the Nobel Center, the City Hall, the Viking Museum, the Folk Museum, took the ferry and rode the tram to Vigeland Park.

We had a really nice day and did not feel rushed at all . I felt the Oslo Pass was very worthwhile.

This is good information. I'm going to share it with the Roll Call for my Serenade OTS cruise.

Thanks very much for the info. I am glad to hear that the process works smoothly. Looking forward to our day in Oslo - we won't be there until 2017 but I like to plan ahead. We will probably do Vigeland Park, quick visit to the folk park, then the Viking ships and the Kon-Tiki Museum. Hoping for sunshine!

I want to take the public transportation to and from Vigeland park ( tram) and the ferry to the island ( island hopping).

Is it best to buy single ticket or the 24 hour ticket?

A single ticket is currently 32 NOK when purchased in advance (It's 50 NOK if you buy it from a bus driver, but tram drivers have stopped selling tickets). The 24-hour pass is 90 NOK.

Since you'll need a minimum of three trips, even if you go straight from Vigelandsparken to the islands, and since you would have to buy the tram ticket before boarding anyway, you're better off just buying the 24-hour pass. You can buy it most convenience stores. If you're docking near the fortress, there's a 7-11 behind the city hall.