Dream cruise - Riverwalk?

tbmrt

We usually head to the ship early from FL embarkation ports and intended to do so when departing from NO. However, I've been reading that Riverwalk is a great place to hang out while waiting to board the ship since it is near the port.

Since we will be taking a shuttle to the port from our hotel, is it practical to check our luggage there while we walk around Riverwalk?

Is there anything else that you'd recommend we see for a few hours before boarding the ship?

Riverwalk is a great place to kill the morning before embarkation! We did the same thing - dropped off luggage, then left for several hours. But when the weather is hot as heck and muggy, everything seemed to be a much further walk than expected. But it's very nice and a lot of fun.

The Riverwalk is a nice outlet mall. OK food court. Close to the dock. If an outlet mall is your cup of tea than you will like it.

Personally, I would suggest going to The French Quarter. Medium walk or a cheap taxi ride away.

New Orleans is very doable on foot unless it is very hot and humid. We have opted for taxis at the height of the afternoon heat when the temperature is 100 In late July-early August. Another alternative to reduce walking is a street car which travels along the river from the Hilton Riverside / Aquarium area upriver to The French market. I would definitely do The Jackson Square/French market area over Riverwalk. On our last trips (summer 14 and 15) I was very disappointed that the Riverwalk now looks like every other commercial mall in any city -used to have a lot of local shops and restaurants - now they are generic. The only plus is the air conditioning

Even without stopping in the mall, the casual stroll along the river down towards Jackson Square is great. You'll pass through a nice park near the aquarium... Fun people watching. Relaxing just observing river traffic... Thinking about it makes me want to go back. :-)

Go online to norta.com. You will find the streetcar and bus stops there. There is a street car stop right by the terminal (ask anyone there to point you). You can take that line along the river and there are several stops in the French Quarter's southern section. Easy access to Jackson Square, Decatur Street, Cafe Du Monde, and the trail along the river. You can also connect at the Canal Street line and a little further up the St. Charles line that takes a nice ride through the Garden District. They offer a Jazzy Pass, $3.00 the last time I bought one. Unlimited rides for the day.