Handicap Accessibility on Miracle and Mayan ruins & cave-tubing

rojova

My wife and I are on the Dec 25 Miracle cruise. She has CP, but walks well with a cane. We also will have a wheelchair for convenience for longer distances.

I assume the ship should not be much of an issue.

We would like to get to one Mayan ruins and the cave-tubing. We would appreciate any information regarding a better ruins to see relative to the use of the wheelchair/cane.

She would have no problem with the tubing, but we do wonder about getting from the vehicle to the caves and back.

Any feedback is appreciated.

rojova - did you book a Handicapped Accessible cabin? I hope you did, as the wider doorways will accomodate a wheelchair, and it should have a roll-in shower. If you are talking about an excursion to the Mayan ruins at Tulum, please post. I've been there a few times, and can tell you that walking might be difficult, as well as using a wheelchair. The ground is "bumpy", and there are no smoothly paved paths. You also have to take a "bus-train" to get there from the main parking area. This is an 800-year old Mayan port city that involves quite a bit of walking/stopping, walking/stopping, etc. It's a mixture of grass/dirt/cobblestones. Thanks!

Are you talking about cave tubing in Belize? If so, I don't think it would be a good idea. It's a LONG walk from the parking lot to the spot where you get into the river - 2 miles maybe??? It's very rough ground with some hills. The tubing itself would probably be okay.

I have two children with CP - one moderate and one very mild. My daughter uses no assistive devices but I don't think she could've done that hike.

HTH -

the ruins in Belize will be easier for your person then in Cozumel. Cozumel-its a 4 hour travel time. Belize is also tons cheaper.

http://community.webshots.com/album/281692440wjZLtD

we used: http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/AltunHa.htm

cost is 35.00

also another good company is http://www.coralbreezelimited.com

they charge 39.00

My mom and her traveling companion, both in their 80's and using wheeled walkers, took this excursion. The guide for their group called over another guide who sat the two of them down on some rocks near the access road (in the shade) and gave them a nice talk about Tulum. The site was too hilly/rocky/slippery when wet for them to navigate, so they just got the point and talk version of the Tulum tour. Probably not worth the travel time or the expense, but if you want to try it, take your binoculars, because you will be some distance from the ruins.

I do not think that cave tuibing is pratical for you because you have to walk through the rain forest from the base point to where you enter the river. It is about a 30 minute walk over rough terrain. You also have to ford the river.

On the other hand, the ruins are possible. My husband uses a wheelchair and we enjoyed our visit to Altun Ha. The parking lot and trails around the ruins are made of paked dirt, but I had little difficulty except getting his manual chair over rocky areas or ones with tree roots. And then our guide assisted me.

We have not been there, but I recently read that the Xanantunich are also reasonably accessible. I also researched the Lamanai Mayan ruins, I was told that there are steps near where the boat docks which made it impractical for us.

In Belize it is about a 1 hour bus ride down a main road then a 20 minute ride on rocks. It is a 45 minute hike to the cave. She might have a hard time with the walk due to it being muddy, wet and rocks in some spots. You also have to cross the river at one point. She also has to be able grab a rope to get off the tube.

The Mayan ruins are BORING and that is my opinion.

Archived