Deluxe Owner's Suite Breakaway or Getaway Balcony Door

davis9267

I'm planning on sailing in the Haven for the first time and was looking into the DOS category on the breakaway ships, but I had heard that they now have a door on the balcony blocking access to the side of the balcony. Has anyone heard about this so called door and can it be opened at all? If so, can it be opened by me and my suitemates or would I have to call on the butler every time to open it? I imaging it would flop like a sail if opened while the ship is under way. Thanks in advance!

We are just off the Breakaway this morning and had DOS 16102. The door opens easily to the side balcony, but all the furniture is in the front. Keep in mind the balcony is super windy when sailing. We didn't get much use out of it. The aft haven suites are so much better if you plan to use the balcony a lot. But the suite itself is awesome :-)

There is some discussion about this door in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2010343

It was added on the BA between the March 2, 2014 sailing and March 23, 2014 sailing. IMO it was a big PITA. If it would catch even a little wind it would either flop one way or the other - it was actually a safety hazard and you needed two hands to even attempt to safety operate it even in Nassau when we were docked. They may have modified it since then. Butler or steward even gave us some warning about it.

One other thing about the room some folks encounter depending on how noisy your neighbors are. The wall between the DOS and OS is a movable wall and the corner where it could get stored leaks noise to the point that we could easily hear every word when they had their family over at night and sitting on the couch trying to watch tv you had to crank the tv to a very high level.

You can open it yourself. I was in a DOS on breakaway last month. Wasn't a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are just off the Breakaway this morning and had DOS 16102. The door opens easily to the side balcony, but all the furniture is in the front. Keep in mind the balcony is super windy when sailing. We didn't get much use out of it. The aft haven suites are so much better if you plan to use the balcony a lot. But the suite itself is awesome :-)

Thanks for the information! Did the door require a key to open or is it something we can open ourselves?

Also, did any of you all experience the problem in the last post regarding noise bleed from the other room? I had read about the removable wall, which is a downer since the room looks amazing. Thanks again

Thanks for the information! Did the door require a key to open or is it something we can open ourselves?

Also, did any of you all experience the problem in the last post regarding noise bleed from the other room? I had read about the removable wall, which is a downer since the room looks amazing. Thanks again

No key required - it's got a built in turn lock but that's all. And when it was really windy, the door is hard to open. I suspect that is how it ended up shattered. The butler said it was an elderly woman, and I can picture that door just getting away from her.

We couldn't hear any voices from the owner's suite next door, but I could hear someone coughing occasionally as well as muffled tv sound. Very faint. The nice thing is the bedroom is on the outside, so you have bathroom on one side and living room on the other. You hear nothing in there :-) I wouldn't recommend the DOS for more than 2 people. I don't think l would want to be a third sleeping in the living room. There is a picket door between the 2 rooms, and each has a separate balcony door.

No key required - it's got a built in turn lock but that's all. And when it was really windy, the door is hard to open. I suspect that is how it ended up shattered. The butler said it was an elderly woman, and I can picture that door just getting away from her.

We couldn't hear any voices from the owner's suite next door, but I could hear someone coughing occasionally as well as muffled tv sound. Very faint. The nice thing is the bedroom is on the outside, so you have bathroom on one side and living room on the other. You hear nothing in there :-) I wouldn't recommend the DOS for more than 2 people. I don't think l would want to be a third sleeping in the living room. There is a picket door between the 2 rooms, and each has a separate balcony door.

Thank you! I am looking forward to my cruise. It will only be the two of us, so sounds like it will be great! :)

I'm in the middle of a review from when we sailed in 16102 last month. Still have to finish it (work keeping me way too busy) but I put a ton of pictures and a video tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321876

We were four (two adults and two kids) and had tons of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app