Free UBP promo charging me $29/day service charge?

A cruise I'm considering has the free Ultimate Beverage package for any category but I noticed a bit of fine print..."Service charges are not included on beverage or dining package offers." So I did a mock booking and it wants to add $29/day for the service charge, that's got to be an error right!?

I got a free package on my cruise last year and they certainly did not charge me anything. I could see a dollar a drink or something but $29/day for drink tips? That seems crazy; the service charge on a free package is more than I would normally spend on drinks.

A cruise I'm considering has the free Ultimate Beverage package for any category but I noticed a bit of fine print..."Service charges are not included on beverage or dining package offers." So I did a mock booking and it wants to add $29/day for the service charge, that's got to be an error right!?

I got a free package on my cruise last year and they certainly did not charge me anything. I could see a dollar a drink or something but $29/day for drink tips? That seems crazy; the service charge on a free package is more than I would normally spend on drinks.

That's no error. They give you the beverage package for "free" but charge the gratuity now. If you drink about 3 drinks per day you are basically paying for your own drinks with the "free" drink package.

That's why they keep raising the price of the drink package every couple of months. It is now at $79pp per day if you purchase it separately.

Bill

You won't be charged $29/day, or is this for two people?

The charge is the service charge for beverage package, 18% of $79/day/pp - about $14/day - price of a couple of drinks. So if you'd buy more than that it's a good deal.

T&C for current promotions:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-deals/choice

You'll find most other mass market lines charge a similar amount.

Edited by pspercy

pretty sure it's for 2. That's the only way the $29 figure works out. $28.44 per day gratuity.

We had the UBP last month but we aren't big drinkers. We started out gangbusters but by around Wednesday I was drank out and probably only had 1 or 2 a day.

Bill

The gratuity will be $14.22 per person, per day (although it is never written or charged like that.)

$79 x 7 days = $553

18% of $553 = $98.54. This is the amount charged per person for gratuities on the UBP on a 7 night sailing.

OP, you are correct that there was a time when no gratuities were charged on the packages. Those days are gone. Now you'd need to drink about 1.3 alcohol drinks per day to break even. Or 1 alcohol drink and one soda per day.

Edited by LrgPizza

We reserved 3 cabins for 4/17 and after that our TA said for another $500 we could get the drink package for free($200 per cabin for 2 cabins and $100 for the other). Then they said each cabin would lose the $100 OBC. So now it cost $800 for the free package plus the $98x6 people for gratuity. I hope we all drink at least 2-3 drinks a day! Not free by any means. I guess the old saying "spend to save" fits this situation.

First time on NCL and between this and "freestyle" dining which sounds like we will be waiting a lot I think I still like Celebrity.

This is why we took the wifi package plus an obc from our Ta

Done with the specialty places as they just aren't what they used to be

Drink package is a joke and would never in a million years drink that much....calories alone are disgusting

Shore excursions. Really? All that does is guarantee Ncl full excursions and I watch excursion prices and it's quite apparent they have raised them significantly...of course the local tour guy is still getting the same $$ I'm sure. Lol. And who in their right mind cant just take a taxi to a gorgeous beach in the Carib? In most if not all Carib ports regulated taxis are well run and dependable. It's your choice if you choose to use some non regulated one to save $5.

Also it's only $50 per port per cabin ...um...so a family of 4 must book Ncl excursions at Ncl prices? Really....I have a bridge for sale btw

It should be noted that I have booked Ncl excursions in the past when the prices were lower and I felt it important to be with Ncl...as in our 5 hour call in Tortola at 7 am. The smart money booked the baths excursion thru the ship if you wanted to go there. Primarily for return to ship timing. If had a full day DIY would be ok but not for our call.

I would take the free dsc if offered but it isn't right now

Every single one of the perks is designed to fund Ncl in one way or another. I'm sure the wifi will be slow but I also set up my iPhone thru Verizon for their $40 package as well. I'm not penny wise and pound foolish. I always have a plan b/c/d at the ready

Regarding the drink package...well since it costs Ncl pennies per pour....they are nt giving away much. If it COSTs them $10 per day per pax in alcohol cost plus overhead...that's a lot

You can't think retail drink prices when analyzing the package from Ncls standpoint...you must think cost. So the 18% they charge you covers their cost....unless you are naive enough to this the bartenders get it....

The bartenders get a salary plus the cash you throw at them because you feel guilty they work so hard ....it's their choice remember

Also IMHO. Ncl who we know reads these boards is thrilled we all think the dsc does NOT get to the crew....they and the crew know that means we will

Pay the dsc plus tip in cash

I dont remove the dsc and only tip $30 to the steward per cabin. He deserves it.

Edited by luvtheships

EU travel agent or NCL EU phone/website? I booked a cruise through scanner last year, a german company, saved me loads.

Does not matter as long as the cruise reservation is made to NCL's EU office, the promo contents and terms in Europe are different from the ones in US. (But then again, there are also other different terms for example regarding cancellation, deposits, etc.)

It is more or less discounting the drinks for me at $80.63 promo service charges- I'll likely only do 2 or 3 a day so it will come out to perhaps a little under $4 a drink for me- not bad.

Also, I think the rising fare prices are subsidizing some of the alcohol charges.

It is more or less discounting the drinks for me at $80.63 promo service charges- I'll likely only do 2 or 3 a day so it will come out to perhaps a little under $4 a drink for me- not bad.

Also, I think the rising fare prices are subsidizing some of the alcohol charges.

That's a perfect analysis IMHO

The "free" drink package is little a deep drink discount to the moderate or low end drinker

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Drink package is a joke and would never in a million years drink that much....calories alone are disgusting

This is ridiculous, it would only take 2 drinks in a day to break even, and it would be a couple hundred calories depending on the drink.

Anything advertised is "FREE" never really is...the cost will come from somewhere.

Prices elsewhere will be raised, or a "service charge" will be added somewhere. I would much rather just know my cost going in, I hate to feel tricked.

The German-speaking market now has different terms from the rest of Europe, with enhanced UBP and stateroom gratuities included in the cruise fare. So the fares are also different (higher, but not necessarily that much higher).

Yes, Also Lavazza in restaurants and bottled water..... all inclusive now... just booked it... great!

This is ridiculous, it would only take 2 drinks in a day to break even, and it would be a couple hundred calories depending on the drink.

Your logic is also ridiculous ---- You have bought in to NCL's idea that a drink should cost $15 when you could pour it yourself for pennies.

Your logic is also ridiculous ---- You have bought in to NCL's idea that a drink should cost $15 when you could pour it yourself for pennies.

Not at all, YOUR logic is simply crazy. You couldn't pour a vast majority of drinks for pennies even at home. Also, it's not NCL's idea, it's every single Cruise line, Bar, and restaurant pretty much everywhere.

It's definitely subsidizing their promos and I'm sure it's profitable for them.

But there are lines like Celebrity, where when they say it's included, it's included and there is no extra service charge out of pocket. The recommended daily tips are dispersed to the staff, bartenders included so there is no valid reason for an additional percentage.

I'm giving NCL a try in November, probably against my better judgement but paying the daily dsc in advance, and another 18% for the drinks and another 18% for dining.......I doubt I'm giving another dollar in tips to anyone and I'm a solid 20% tipper, sometimes more. But I have never been on another line that charges like this crowd does. With their required DSC's, I'm already at about 23% of the fare I'm paying and I haven't left my living room.

This is why we took the wifi package plus an obc from our Ta

Done with the specialty places as they just aren't what they used to be

Bacardi and Diet Whatever or Michelob Ultra.

80 calories each.

I'll probably have one or both in my hands as I walk forward to aft, aft to forward 10 times a day working it off.

But there are lines like Celebrity, where when they say it's included, it's included and there is no extra service charge out of pocket. The recommended daily tips are dispersed to the staff, bartenders included so there is no valid reason for an additional percentage.

Celebrity's recommended daily tips are "shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience". Not bartenders. Bar orders and beverage package purchases have 18% added to them, just like on NCL.
I doubt I'm giving another dollar in tips to anyone and I'm a solid 20% tipper, sometimes more. But I have never been on another line that charges like this crowd does. With their required DSC's, I'm already at about 23% of the fare I'm paying and I haven't left my living room.
There is no reason for you tip any more, that is the whole point of the automatic tips. If you want to pat yourself on the back for tipping 23%, go right ahead, but tips are not calculated based on the cruise fare. Someone in the cheapest inside pays the same amount in tips as someone in the highest mini-suite category, whether this corresponds to 5% or 50% of their cruise fare.

I don't drink even 2 drinks a day. Maybe 5 over the entire week

It's not for us. Others like it. Good for them

2 drinks at retail but it only costs pennies a pour for ncl plus minimal fixed costs ...per drink

I can't imagine how many they pour per minute. Lol

Face it the drink package in reality only costs pennies to give away. The extra 18% is most,y profit to ncl. Because they pay the bartenders a salary!!! Regardless of the 18%. The only extra they are getting is the cash pax feel they must leave them because they get salary anyway

So do the stewards....and waiters....you can remove dsc if you want but crew is still getting salary