Internet access packages

I'm kind of new to RCCL. When I read about the internet packages available, I saw one device for $20/day, two for $30. I assumed that this involved choosing two devices for the duration of the trip. But I was reading another post, and it said that paying for two devices meant you could use any two devices at one time. So if you had three phones, and one laptop, you could switch off between them as needed - as long as only two were active together. Which is true?

I believe you are right, the system will recognise the number of devices that are logged on to their Wi-Fi. So you can switch betwen smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc as long there is only 2 logged on at any one time.

This just about sums it up.

We switched between phone, laptop and 2 Tablets on our last cruise in January.

Fwiw, I am going on Oasis in 2 weeks. About 1-2 weeks ago, I received a promo via email with a 2 for 1 pricing system. It may not be a bad idea to hold off and see if they offer deals as you approach your date.

Diamond members get one free 24 hour period or the equivalent discount on the unlimited package.

Thanks for the info. I usually don't bother but the people I'm traveling with wanted to know since I'm the highest C&A member.

Can I activate tethering in my smartphone so I can connect my tablet to it?

I'm interesseted to know that too. Does anyone know that?

There seems to be no discount for using just 1 device.

Can I activate tethering in my smartphone so I can connect my tablet to it?

I believe the smartphone would have to be getting internet via cellular (not WiFi) to allow tethering. That would be much more expensive than using the ship's WiFi.

Am I able to only buy the package for sea days?

You can buy for sea days only, but the daily price might be much higher than the daily price when purchased for the entire cruise.

I believe the smartphone would have to be getting internet via cellular (not WiFi) to allow tethering. That would be much more expensive than using the ship's WiFi.

You are correct. I forgot that little big technical detail.:p

When my daughter and I sailed on the Oasis six weeks ago, we got a discount (I think it was 10%), and we are only gold members. I believe the price for unlimited access for the whole week was lower than buying certain days by themselves. We got the single device access, and took turns using wi-fi. We just had to be sure to log off of one device before trying to log on with another. (And - you can't log in with two by accident.) Also, they were no longer offering pay-by-the-minute.

Edited by Grandma Petania

so what happened to buying the minutes in a package? I can't see that option on the website any more, this option of paying per day is much more expensive than buying a package of minutes....

Buying minutes is no longer offered. The least you can buy is one 24-hour unlimited period. Some ships offer a shorter period (30 minutes or so) on the last day to allow guests to check-in to flights.

Just off the Liberty of the Seas (3/6 Sailing) and can confirm the above.

As a Diamond member you get $40 off an internet package. You can buy access for 1 day or for the rest of the cruise. The packages of $20/day is for every day remaining in the cruis, so costs less if you wait to buy.

Also watch for specials on board. We picked up a 4 device package for $200 on the 2nd day of the cruise of 7 night cruise ($240 - $40 discount). The system has some bugs and we got different offers on multiple attempts on a 20 min window.

Speeds are not fast, but MUCH MUCH improved from my past experiences on RC internet. Handled Wifi calling (AT&T and iPhone) without a hitch. Forget any streaming. Videos will buffer, but you can get short clips to play. Connection coverage is pretty good across the ship.

On our last sailing (Vision of the Seas June 2015, Europe) I bought a single device package, but there was no actual mechanism to limit it to a single device, so we had 3 qand 4 devices logged in at the same time. On the Liberty this trip, there is definitely a control over how many devices can be logged in at one time. The number of devices is the number o devices that can use the internet at any one time. This is not tied to specific devices, just number of connections you can have to the internet. You can switch between phones, laptops. ipads, etc.

For some reason they did not provide a link to explicitly logout this trip. Just turning off wifi does not release the session very quickly. With some trial and error I found entering the following URL in a browser window will terminate your devices connectivity to the internet and free the session for another device to use:

logout.nomadix.com

Just off the Liberty of the Seas (3/6 Sailing) and can confirm the above........For some reason they did not provide a link to explicitly logout this trip. Just turning off wifi does not release the session very quickly. With some trial and error I found entering the following URL in a browser window will terminate your devices connectivity to the internet and free the session for another device to use:

logout.nomadix.com

If I remember correctly, I found that if I switched my iPad to Airplane Mode ON, it would immediately close my wifi connection. (When I wanted to log on, I had to switch the Airplane Mode OFF in order to connect.)

Just off the Liberty of the Seas (3/6 Sailing) and can confirm the above.

As a Diamond member you get $40 off an internet package. You can buy access for 1 day or for the rest of the cruise. The packages of $20/day is for every day remaining in the cruis, so costs less if you wait to buy.

Also watch for specials on board. We picked up a 4 device package for $200 on the 2nd day of the cruise of 7 night cruise ($240 - $40 discount). The system has some bugs and we got different offers on multiple attempts on a 20 min window.

Speeds are not fast, but MUCH MUCH improved from my past experiences on RC internet. Handled Wifi calling (AT&T and iPhone) without a hitch. Forget any streaming. Videos will buffer, but you can get short clips to play. Connection coverage is pretty good across the ship.

On our last sailing (Vision of the Seas June 2015, Europe) I bought a single device package, but there was no actual mechanism to limit it to a single device, so we had 3 qand 4 devices logged in at the same time. On the Liberty this trip, there is definitely a control over how many devices can be logged in at one time. The number of devices is the number o devices that can use the internet at any one time. This is not tied to specific devices, just number of connections you can have to the internet. You can switch between phones, laptops. ipads, etc.

For some reason they did not provide a link to explicitly logout this trip. Just turning off wifi does not release the session very quickly. With some trial and error I found entering the following URL in a browser window will terminate your devices connectivity to the internet and free the session for another device to use:

logout.nomadix.com

If I remember correctly, I found that if I switched my iPad to Airplane Mode ON, it would immediately close my wifi connection. (When I wanted to log on, I had to switch the Airplane Mode OFF in order to connect.)

You just type logoff.com into your browser window.

We have found that if we don't logout properly, it takes about 2 hours for the session to timeout. We use logoff.com as Carol mentioned above.

Diamond members get one free 24 hour period or the equivalent discount on the unlimited package.

Or, $30 towards a package. If 2 Ds, you could work it so that if you start on the 2nd day you'll only pay $45 for the entire week. Example: 2nd day use 1 D comp, and for day 3-7 @ $15 less $30 comp (5x15-30=45).