Taxi Cab or independent tours to El Yunque

queenL

Will there be any taxi cab/independent tours waiting for us when we dock in San Juan. We're thinking we might go El Yunque but I'd prefer to go with a non-ship tour.

You'll have to book with a tour operator since taxis don't usually go up the El Yunque. At least not the National Parks-controlled areas. They might take you to the outlying (no less beautiful) parts of the forrest. If you want to go to the most visited parts take a tour operator. You can find some online or you might get one at the pier if you debark early. Take into consideration the time of year you're going to be visiting (lots of locals on summer) and if there are other ships at port. The more or bigger the ships (Oasis, Allure, Quantum and Anthem OTS all make port calls on different parts of the year) the more likely it is that you'll find the place packed if your tour doesn't leave before the others.

Do you have a name of a reputable taxi for a transfer to the St. Regis Bahia Beach hotel? I'm renting a car for only a few days when I'm on the property, but I still need to get to/from the hotel on my arrival/departure dates…TIA

You are looking at a taxi ride well in excess of $50 one way. The taxis in the airport/cruise docks areas are run by multiple companies under the "Taxi Turistico" (tourist taxi) moniker so it's hard to distinguish one company from the other. Either way you will be best served renting a car at the airport (maybe taxi from the docks to SJU to rent?), driving to Bahia (pretty easy to get there) and driving back to SJU and dropping the car off on your way to the plane.

You are looking at a taxi ride well in excess of $50 one way. The taxis in the airport/cruise docks areas are run by multiple companies under the "Taxi Turistico" (tourist taxi) moniker so it's hard to distinguish one company from the other. Either way you will be best served renting a car at the airport (maybe taxi from the docks to SJU to rent?), driving to Bahia (pretty easy to get there) and driving back to SJU and dropping the car off on your way to the plane.

Thank you for the valuable input. I won't need a car everyday at Bahia, and they charge $22/night for car parking. Just trying to see the difference between a taxi to/from at maybe $150+ total or renting a car and getting charged $160 (or so) plus $110 for parking…

My stay at Bahia - I'm only paying for resort fees & incidentals - the room is taken care of by my company!

While I'm picking your local brain ;) - IF I kept the car, any good, inexpensive places to eat around Rio Grande? I've already been up the coast a little in the past to Luquillo and the food kiosks, but any thing closer? I'm sure I'll get bored of the food options (I don't eat red meat) and tired of the high prices at the resort...

Will we have enough time? We arrive at 3pm and the park closes at 6. If we have to take a cab to the airport, we will certainly lose time. How far away is the airport from the pier where RCL docks? El Yunque says they close at 6. Does that mean they will kick us out at 6pm or we just have to be inside the park by 6pm?