Sushi on 5

russg140

Sad to hear Bo5 is gone as on our prior three cruises that was our embarkation day go to lunch. On our last cruise the menu had changed a bit with better specials and we had three lunches there. I loved the steak salad!

I am a sushi fan but wife maybe not so much (although she took me to my first sushi restaurant, go figure!). I am sure we will will hit regardless on our embarkation day on Solstice in July as we are not buffet people, especially her! I'll hold my further opinions till then!

We've just been on Solstice and really enjoyed Sushi on 5, we went there three times for lunch.

They were offering a flat all-you-can-eat rate as well as the a la carte pricing. However if you're only want ing a light meal it's best to do the math.

The sashimi was great the first two times but a bit watery on the last time we went.

We loved most of the appetisers we tried: the gyoza were excellent, the truffled albacore tuna was amazing, and the spicy tuna ahi was also very good. The wontons weren't really wontons and were disappointing.

We tried the pork ramen, the lobster ramen and the shrimp udon and really liked all of them.

We tried one of the sushi rolls but were very disappointed. The rice was overcooked and too warm, and the roll was way too thick and just fell apart when you tried to eat it. Also the sushi serves were too big overall - eight slices per serve. We didn't get around to trying the nigiri sushi.

The Yuzo sorbet was a lovely finish to the meal.

We'd tried Bistro on 5 on an earlier cruise, on embarkation day, but found it far too heavy so we are happy with the change to Sushi on 5.

We went to So5 last week on Reflection. My wife loves sushi and she really enjoyed it. I had a very nice Japanese Red Ale that I really liked ;) So5 was very busy every time we walked by, much more so than Bo5 ever was. Personally I would love to see something else, the Deli idea was good one. But from our limited experience, So5 is here to stay.

After having sushi in the Oceanview 'free' for a few cruises (and noticing its increasing popularity each time), I was very disappointed to see they removed this from the Oceanview and started charging a la carte in So5.

As one of earlier posters mentioned, the quality and selection in So5 was better, although I have to admit I never tried it: (i) I didn't want to pay extra for something I was accustomed to having as part of a normal dining experience on X, and (ii) we never made it a 'complete' meal, just a few sides.... If the selections are different, it would be nice if they still offered a very basic free selection in Oceanview.

On Equinox holiday 2016 sailing, I never saw one person in So5. It will be interesting to see if it stays.

I'm disappointed that Oceanview Cafe will not be serving Sushi in the afternoon any longer. Most days, my husband and I would stop in and take a plate of Sushi and a glass of wine back to our room. It was an afternoon ritual to sit on our balcony and have a little quiet time before we started getting ready for dinner. We are really going to miss that special part of our day!

It appeared during our Silhouette cruise last week the place is not very busy. Pricing is a-la-carte which can add up quickly. Business must have been down as the last 2 days they were coming around with a flat $25 all-you-can-eat plan.

So5 on our December Reflection cruise was my favorite dining venue. Most days I enjoyed a mid-afternoon visit for a steaming bowl of edamame and a 5 piece serving of nicely prepared and delicious shashimi. If you have a beverage package, there is also a nice selection of sake available.

After a few visits, I was then offered an off-menu complimentary dish of wonderful shasimi in a light truffle oil - delicious. The charge was modest and I thought So5 was a terrific value; for me, considerably more enjoyable than Bo5.

We were on the Reflection in late January, early February for two weeks. We typically don't go to the specialty restaurants. Sushi on Five was an exception. We wanted to try a couple of dishes so decided to go for lunch on a sea day. We had the beverage package so our wine was covered. We spent $30 total (plus tip) for the two of us and we left full. It was the best sushi meal we'd ever had. And the service was outstanding. We liked it so much we went a second time the next week. There hours are a bit wonky - different on port days versus sea days but it would be a wonderful place to go for an appetizer late in the afternoon. One tray provides 10-12 pieces and would be all you would need to share between two. Cost - $12. The draw for us is that you cannot get sushi anywhere else on the ship and this was a delicious treat. We observed it was quite busy at peak times and we will definitely go again on a future cruise.

SOF is a huge improvement over the old Bistro. We had great meals there and look forward to stopping by many times on our next cruise. Tastes change and I'm glad to see more positive comments over the usual kvetches. The California Rolls at Oceanview were nothing to write home about. Big improvement and a sign of more culinary diversity to come. Love to see a specialty Indian restaurant next.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...