Cutbacks and Steward barging in unannounced!

Just a few things..

First of all, I wish I could "like" posts, especially the one about standing there naked ! Trust me, I am no spring chicken ! I was cruising with my 8 year old grand daughter & we would hear the little ding-dongs when they were making announcements and she would open the door so we could hear what they were saying, then let it close. For the most part I was able to use the dead bolt; but I agree it is all my fault that I didn't lock the dead bolt each and every time the door opened. I didn't even think about using door sign, again, all my fault. Platinum line ? Silly me I completely forgot I could do that ! Yes I just did make platinum.. I was more excited about the laundry than anything else. Yes it is all my fault and also shame on me for commenting about noticing tablecloths were no longer used in the dining room. My fault again. How could I be so silly to even think I could actually put an observation on a message board, that was not complimenting Carnival.. again, MY BAD ! I hope all of you Carnival Cheerleaders can please find it in your hearts to forgive me. I am so sorry I posted something about Carnival when actually everything is all my fault, I did not mean to create so much negativity nor hostility.

Apology accepted!:D It is something, isn't it?

Just a few things..

First of all, I wish I could "like" posts, especially the one about standing there naked ! Trust me, I am no spring chicken ! I was cruising with my 8 year old grand daughter & we would hear the little ding-dongs when they were making announcements and she would open the door so we could hear what they were saying, then let it close. For the most part I was able to use the dead bolt; but I agree it is all my fault that I didn't lock the dead bolt each and every time the door opened. I didn't even think about using door sign, again, all my fault. Platinum line ? Silly me I completely forgot I could do that ! Yes I just did make platinum.. I was more excited about the laundry than anything else. Yes it is all my fault and also shame on me for commenting about noticing tablecloths were no longer used in the dining room. My fault again. How could I be so silly to even think I could actually put an observation on a message board, that was not complimenting Carnival.. again, MY BAD ! I hope all of you Carnival Cheerleaders can please find it in your hearts to forgive me. I am so sorry I posted something about Carnival when actually everything is all my fault, I did not mean to create so much negativity nor hostility.

LOVE this!:D Right on!:cool:

Thank you, OP, for the tips. We have a cruise coming up. So we will bring coasters (I don't like condensation, not even at home) & triple remind each other to deadbolt the door. Also, one has to be aware when in port workers can appear on the other side of your window/balcony door -- out of the blue -- on the OUTSIDE of the ship. We keep our balcony door locked and the drapes closed if we are getting dressed.

And our tips are prepaid. We intend to leave them in place.

Edited by clearwaters

Please don't apologize op as you have nothing to apologize for. I am platinum and ready to take my business elsewhere. I used to be carnival cheerleader but now I don't get that much bang for my buck. Prices are higher and they have cut back. No lobster on shorter cruises, not thrilled with the new menus and I feel much more important on other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From experience, the dead bolt lock doesn't always work. It's second nature for me to lock doors as I shut them so I do it every time and I know for a fact that sometimes they don't work on cruises I have been on.

Well if mine didn't work, I wouldn't rest until it was fixed. I am very proactive (or paranoid if you want to call it that) when I travel. There is no way I would be able to sleep knowing that someone could come into my room at any time. Are the chances slim that anyone would? Probably. I guess if there's no way they could fix it then I would be forced to put a chair in front of it or construct some type of barricade, but I would not consider that acceptable.

I ALWAYS lock the deadbolt. Being claustrophobic, I can't even shower with the bathroom door shut all the way or I start to panic. So for me, a deadbolt not working is not an option. I also like my naps during the day and if someone barged in on me then, there would be heck to pay. I need my beauty sleep!

Please don't apologize op as you have nothing to apologize for. I am platinum and ready to take my business elsewhere. I used to be carnival cheerleader but now I don't get that much bang for my buck. Prices are higher and they have cut back. No lobster on shorter cruises, not thrilled with the new menus and I feel much more important on other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read (and cheered) a healthy dose of sarcasm in CruisinHelloKitty's apologies. Maybe I read it wrong?:o

Well if mine didn't work, I wouldn't rest until it was fixed. I am very proactive (or paranoid if you want to call it that) when I travel. There is no way I would be able to sleep knowing that someone could come into my room at any time. Are the chances slim that anyone would? Probably. I guess if there's no way they could fix it then I would be forced to put a chair in front of it or construct some type of barricade, but I would not consider that acceptable.

I ALWAYS lock the deadbolt. Being claustrophobic, I can't even shower with the bathroom door shut all the way or I start to panic. So for me, a deadbolt not working is not an option. I also like my naps during the day and if someone barged in on me then, there would be heck to pay. I need my beauty sleep!

"Like" and concur.

I agree with you, except if it happened ONCE with me, I would have put the deadbolt on every time after that. It would never gotten to the point of being "continual".

Exactly. I am not "blaming" the OP, it is awful that this happened. But even if I forgot to put the deadbolt on after that and it happened again after telling him to knock, how could you not report it to his supervisor or even higher? What happened is NOT ok and there are no consequences?

As for tablecloths, I can see how people would miss them and that they do dress up the tables. But, I can't imagine how much waste water and chemicals this saves from going into the ocean. Well worth it. Save the whales and all. :D

Table cloths are hygienic they get washed. The wood table gets a wipe from the same dirty water for the other 300 tables.

Princess has tablecloths in the dining rooms. Princess has more Norovirus outbreaks than Carnival. Some other cruise line, too. I'm good with no tablecloths.

Just a few things..

First off, love this! LMAO! Second, disregard the cheerleaders and the blame they like to push onto the OPs here. I agree, this is suppose to be a forum to post your thoughts, observations and opinions. Those of us that accept that everyone has flaws including Carnival will continue to support each other.

I have still yet to understand why tablecloths are such a big deal.

Tablecloths are not just decorative. They soak up condensation and spills preventing transfers to clothing, keep things in place, and reduce noise levels.

First off, love this! LMAO! Second, disregard the cheerleaders and the blame they like to push onto the OPs here. I agree, this is suppose to be a forum to post your thoughts, observations and opinions. Those of us that accept that everyone has flaws including Carnival will continue to support each other.

Agreed! OP, I also enjoyed the sarcasm in your apologies. The dead bolt & the do not disturb sign can be brought up as a suggestion for future reference, but it shouldn't be used as a way of blaming you for what happened. That's just rude. Although, in an open public forum like this, people have equal right to be rude & mean. It just doesn't reflect very well on Carnival passengers in general. Most Carnival passengers are not like that, but onlookers & prospects might think that we are, causing them to feel that they should never take a Carnival cruise. I often wonder if those that are referred to as Carnival cheerleaders are actually trying to hurt Carnival.

I hope that people can understand that a "mile long" line at customer service is obviously an exaggeration. At least, it should be obvious. I know that some people dislike exaggerations, but pretending to take it literally doesn't accomplish anything. Also, I also wasn't aware that platinum had their own special line at customer service until I was told about it.

Edited by k2excursion

I agree with you, and I understand how the OP felt. I'm a young adult (although I'll need to lose that "young" before too long), and I really didn't think that something like a tablecloth would matter, and I never thought much about it until it started to get taken away. The absence of a tablecloth does make it feel more like a Chilis, casual dining. like t-shirt, shorts, & flip flops casual, which isn't a horrible thing. The tablecloth does have a way of making the dining experience feel more special. It sets the tone better. Although, this is the direction Carnival has been going, more & more casual. I'm not into the whole dressing up super fancy thing, but I like going one step above casual. The lack of a tablecloth is something that we, including the OP, can certainly deal with just fine. "First world problems." It doesn't destroy the cruise. The dining just isn't quite as special.

That steward issue seems a bit creepy. My parents will be on the Magic next week. Hopefully, they won't have that same steward.

Agreed..thanks for your sweet comments, maybe some mid-range lines will keep a table clothed dinning room and yes "def first world probs as they say!!''... Is so weird being middle aged..it sneaks up on you, but one has to remember they are always young in a way...in this one short life until next step...(way I try to be lol)... my dad at 81 and 3/4 did a windy major heights involved narrow Phantom trail Mule ride the 8th and 9th of this month in Grand Canyon and true to his predictions, "I will always be like I am now"..said at 40..not quite but in ego for sure...lol)..he is not a work out type but so cowboy like acting and active that he stays amazing. We say he is always "fiddle farting" around. And while mom passed too young...76...I know many have them when close much shorter time and I am still lucky and both grand moms lived to 97.5. I think of all the back and forth; in and out of style and everything else in rules and back again they saw.

Well tell folks to lock that bolt and there is always one or two weirdos in any situation..just be aware and they will be fine.

Your sweet words cheered up this 56 year old before bed. I guess another thought I have is glad they do it 2 nights. Ok less fancy but the cruise elegant at least brings that sit down together with more respect feel. I had so much fun helping my sis set the table for Christmas..we folded simple no iron napkins into trees for the silverware...it is fun to share that special feeling...it does not have to be overboard to be special...:). Hope Carnival keeps a little. For the families and couples etc..and friends together having special meals.

Edited by sjn911

Truth be told, there is a bit of sarcasm but also I do see how it would appear I have my share of blame, from the perspective of others.. it is what it is !

You've got a great attitude!:) Thanks for sharing your experiences. And FWIW, I'm yet another one who is not at all pleased with the lack of tablecloths. And I agree that the American Table is fugly.;):p

Table clothes are a sign of "cleanliness" and "class". Remove them, and you imply that your company does not care enough to supply them both.

Carnival provides people with budget vacation, and skips on items that many feel is appropriate, but let's face it, with everyone not caring, they will continue to push service to an all time low. Each year, they find a new way to cut service lower.

For example, I see no reason for the buffet. Just put out hamburgers and hot dogs on the pool deck. Why have a sit down dinner? The space would make a nice self serve buffet. They can also encourage people to buss their own tables. Just put out signs to bring your plates to the dirty dish station.

Chuckling reading through thread, great comments.....one day this casual may be true for Carnival...if it keeps moving in this direction.....hope not....bands coming back on some ships reviews is a good sign...

Edited by sjn911

We had one cabin steward that did snoop, and he admitted it. He claimed he was looking for the room service cards. He said he left one a day in the room but it wasn't sitting out on the desk. I told him we did not want the room service cards and not to leave them, but he left them and we threw them away. I went to customer service and asked to speak to his supervisor. I told her he went through our belongings and he admitted it. I did remove his tip, DH left his on. The steward could always be found sitting in the emergency stairwell talking on his cell phone. He was by far the worse steward we've ever had.:mad:

That is really too bad...good for people to know about the cons..things are usually great..but the 'bad' things scream out more...to be aware of and protect against.

Truth be told, there is a bit of sarcasm but also I do see how it would appear I have my share of blame, from the perspective of others.. it is what it is !

You have been so cool....most of us are ok...we just get weird as a collective on an issue here....great comments..LOL..and thanks for thread, your opinions matter..and remember it just gets weird on the boards....like telephone string game almost...

Thanks for the warnings on steward and please keep cruising and enjoy....so cool you went with your grand daughter...Maybe for carnival regular nights we can bring a favorite cloth tablecloth...LOL..I kid..but would work, have not had the sliding glass yet...

I have that taking a child on order maybe with a willing grand niece or nephew....

Edited by sjn911

For example, I see no reason for the buffet. Just put out hamburgers and hot dogs on the pool deck. Why have a sit down dinner? The space would make a nice self serve buffet. They can also encourage people to buss their own tables. Just put out signs to bring your plates to the dirty dish station.

I see you're still having fun. :)

Nice pic ! That's how it looks now they use those square ceramic things as if that's gonna compensate.. Just ADMIT it, that is FUGLY!

Just to note, pretty sure those "square ceramic things" are bread plates. To be honest, we enjoyed those as well seeing which plate showed what. We had the American Table with no tablecloths on our last cruise and I actually preferred it. I did not see a problem with condensation as the stemmed glasses helped that. The tables were nice and I didn't feel that we were downgraded without tablecloths. I actually felt the table was cleaner without the tablecloths.