Bottled Water as Checked Baggage

Curious as to if anyone has ever checked a case of bottled water as a piece of checked luggage at the port on embarkation. I'm cruising on Indy next month and would rather do that than lug it around until the rooms are ready.

I have done it in the past but that was a few years ago and not sure if I was lucky or if policy has changed or not.

Thanks!

-Kyle

We just got off the Indy this am. We carried a 6 pack of Evian (big bottles) and a bottle of wine on with us when we boarded and had no problem. They did inspect it but it was fine. It was inconvenient for about 30 min...we had lunch then dropped it in our cabin.

Out of FLL - just throw a luggage tag on a case of water and send it with checked luggage - IF it doesn't show up - I'll just have to suffer through with the desalinated water onboard.

It's just to difficult to try and take another entire piece of luggage to wheel it onboard with us ya know.

:eek:

Thanks Hugger,

Have you tried it?

we will be back on the April 9th. If you help me to remember (as we'll have company that will return with me for a few days so I don't want to forget) I will report back.

THANKS ALL:)

That'd be great. We're cruising April 18th.

Please post a question to this board on the week of the 10th of April - so it will pop up in my email

truly please remind me though - as I am going on this trip with my brother and niece whom will be staying on with us for a few days. And, I may forget to get back on in time. And, I want to answer any questions that I can help you with being your going out that next week in time to help you.

We are going to try both bottled water and soda

We always tip the porter's decent so that it's not a problem with them.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Edited by hugger

So bottom line is it's against the rules. They know what it is so no matter you try and package it doesn't matter. They might not allow it through. Whatever success people are reporting is not going to be consistent.

Since ship's water is already as good or better than the bottled stuff, many pax don't bother with bottles. Alternatively there are portable Brita filters that are easier to transport.

And, have never used it - the only reason I even bother with trying to take bottled water is that it is my drink of choice. And, the desalinated water does make me retain water. Believe me I HATE trying to lug around a case of bottled water. I was one of those people who never understood WHY anyone would ever bother to bring bottled water with them.

Now that I am older I GET IT - was much easier when I didn't need to worry about it.

I wonder if the Brita goes bad after a while as I've had it for a few year's and never used it?

Thanks for jogging my memory on that

• 3 weeks later...

NWAFLYGUY - I remembered to post before your departure - hope you see this

We always check some diet Coke and some bottled water when cruising out of Ft Lauderdale. We just stick a luggage tag on it and send it with the porter. It shows up in our cabin.

However, we were told we wouldn't be able to do this out of Tampa. And, in fact, most likely wouldn't be able to take it onboard at all.

When we were dropped off the porter did say they weren't allowed to take it. But, that we could hand carry it on with us. And, we did! We walked on with a 24 bottle case of water, and 2-12 paks of Diet Coke. No one said a word - in fact, they even helped us with our carry on - letting us stow it up front by the check in counter while we waited in line - checked in and picked it all up again to walk on the ship.

AND, it was at their suggestion that we stow it up front. The kind man from port of Tampa even watched over our stuff for us while we waiting in line and then checked in.

No question's asked :)

Edited by hugger

Anyone recently have luck with bringing a case of water or soda onboard in Port Everglades? Is it best to just slap a luggage tag on it or does it need to be placed in some type of carry-on? I will be on the Serenade of the Seas this coming Monday...and was thinking of picking some up before boarding.

Anyone recently have luck with bringing a case of water or soda onboard in Port Everglades? Is it best to just slap a luggage tag on it or does it need to be placed in some type of carry-on? I will be on the Serenade of the Seas this coming Monday...and was thinking of picking some up before boarding.

If you don't want to carry it, put it in a piece of luggage.