Cruising out of Galveston, need suggestions hotel and transportation

Hiya

We will be going on our very first cruise on Jan 1st on Carnival Breeze. We will be arriving at IAH on Dec 31st as only way to assure we make to the port on time.

I am trying to figure what hotel would be good for 2 adults and a 14yr old son. Decided I can try to use my credit card points for booking the hotel so cost in that sense may not be an issue as long as under $400 for the night (of course prefer not that high in cost).

Wondering if we should book a Galveston hotel and use a shuttle or limo service from the airport to hotel and then taxi to the port the next day?

OR

Book a hotel off the island that would have airport shuttle service and use a shuttle or limo service from the hotel to the cruise port?

Also I have prebooked the carnival airport transfer for after the cruise, is that reasonable?

Would it be safe having a flight leaving IAH at 1:55pm? We are from the West Coast of Canada so will need to be at the airport at least 2hrs prior so how much time should I give to get off the ship? Should we aim to be very first passengers off once the ship ports? How would we assure we can get off quickly and onto the carnival shuttle to the airport?

I have read decent reviews of the Galveston Express which would be charging $30pp one way so would that be reasonable or should I spend a little extra and use a towncar/limo company? If so what are suggestions?

Sorry for long-winded post just trying to make sure I add everything I think required in this post...lol

Edited by WanttoCruise2015

New Year's Eve hotels will probably be $$$ on the island and I wouldn't be surprised if most will require a 2 night stay. The area by IAH isn't the best but does have many moderate priced hotels/motels with airport shuttles. You could stay at one of those, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and use the Carnival shuttle to Galveston.

There is a Marriott Hotel that is connected to the airport. You get there via a free underground tram/train. I have stayed single nights there a few times and it is extremely convenient, as you don't have to really leave the airport. The restaurant is decent or you can go back to the airport for food. You could stay the night there, then catch Carnival's transport down to Galveston at the airport in the morning or Galveston Express. Don't know what the cost would be for New Years Eve, but normally its around $170 a night.

• 5 months later...

We are in a similar situation albeit sailing on rccl liberty of the seas in feb 2017...I say similar because we live in Burnaby! We are flying air canada direct to iah the day before. Staying at the Hilton Galveston on points. Return flights were tricky as the direct flight was super expensive and the other options were short layovers (less than 1 hr) in various US hubs where you just know that you might miss your connection (and luggage surely to miss the connection!). I felt anything before 2 pm was pushing it as its 3 hr checkin for international flights (not 2 hr) and I hate to be rushed and stressed on the last day of vacation! From what I gather it's a 2 hr drive, plus 1-2 hr to get off and thru customs. In the end we booked IAH to YVR via Seattle ( 2.5 hr layover) leaving at 5:45 from Houston.

2 pm flight...arrive IAH no layer than 12...in shuttle no later than 10...I feel you need to be up and among the first off the ship.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Just got in to Galveston for our Carnival Freedom cruise. Found a local taxi driver recommendation here on Cruise Critic. Contacted him before arrival and gave us great info about the Island. When we needed a ride, I called him and we were his next customer. When we wanted to get back to our hotel, called him and we were his next customer. PLEASE give him your business when on the Island. Who is he? Galvestonn Taxi Kent. His number: 409. 497. 5117.

I'll be using him to get us to the port as well. Can't give you any stronger recommendation than this.

We also used Galveston Limo to get from IAH to our Galveston hotel. No problems with that either.