Newbie to HAL

Sorry folks... I have many questions...and my laptop died... So, it's hard to search. Please forgive me!

I am contemplating a cruise to Alaska on the Volendam or the Zanndam, out of Seattle. How is the ship? Any particular tips I should know?

We would be sailing in a Vista suite, any preferred location? Any perks I should not miss out on? If any...i have a lot of reading to do...

Thank you everyone! I'm usually a Princess passenger, but I'm very excited to try HAL.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

The Amsterdam is the World Cruise ship, so is generally kept up, but it is an older, smaller ship (about 1400 pax). You've sailed on big, newer ships: how do you feel about that?

Vista suites are nice, decent sized with a nice balcony. You've also cruised enough to know that midship is best if you don't do well in rough seas.

Not sure about any specific perks, but HAL is a perk in itself!

Edited by SilvertoGold

As a Princess cruiser you will automatically (well maybe not automatic, you'll probably have to request it through your TA or booking person) be a 1 Star Mariner on HAL which will get you an invite to the Mariners Champagne Brunch.

Not a perk but a unique aspect of HAL is that you can check-out an iPod from the library with a guided tour of the art on the ship, usually would take you about 45 minutes to complete.

While glacier viewing hot Dutch pea soup will be served on the outside decks, usually the bow area is open and they will be there, but might be on other deck - I hope others on the thread can clarify.

You can get wonderful room service meals, full breakfasts everyday including disembarkation day. You are not limited to what's on the room service menu, just write in what you desire during Main Dining Room hour; this includes the MDR dinner options which will be served in your room but all courses at once. Nice for a balcony meal. And the room service tray have heavy plate liners to keep the hot food hot.

Your room will be ready by 11:30am when you board and you can stay in your room on disembarkation day until you time to disembark. So no sitting around crowded lounges (where I picked up a cold on Ruby Princess).

I like Princess too but welcome to HAL. m--

Thank you Maureen! This is wonderful information and just what I was looking for.

Are the Vista suites the same as mini-suites on Princess?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by, although if I have my way, I'll be on the ship within a couple of months!

I'm especially looking forward to balcony meals..

Between the fabulous views and good food..

can't go wrong!

Sorry folks... I have many questions...and my laptop died... So, it's hard to search. Please forgive me!

I am contemplating a cruise to Alaska on the Volendam or the Zanndam, out of Seattle. How is the ship? Any particular tips I should know?

We would be sailing in a Vista suite, any preferred location? Any perks I should not miss out on? If any...i have a lot of reading to do...

Thank you everyone! I'm usually a Princess passenger, but I'm very excited to try HAL.

Windows 10? My laptop has been a useless brick for 2 weeks now. Microsoft a joke, definitely switching to Apple

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Not a perk but a unique aspect of HAL is that you can check-out an iPod from the library with a guided tour of the art on the ship, usually would take you about 45 minutes to complete.

I didn't know that. You learn such useful information on Cruise Critic. Thanks!

Windows 10? My laptop has been a useless brick for 2 weeks now. Microsoft a joke, definitely switching to Apple

You can remove windows 10. I did. "Nothing" worked! I'm going to Apple next too.

OP I suggest trying the specialty dining as well. Pinnacle was wonderful and, though I'm not a pasta lover, I enjoyed the dinner in Canaletto as well!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can remove windows 10. I did. "Nothing" worked! I'm going to Apple next too.

OP I suggest trying the specialty dining as well. Pinnacle was wonderful and, though I'm not a pasta lover, I enjoyed the dinner in Canaletto as well!

I would have to go back to 8 and that was worse. I am trying to reinstall 10 but wifi not strong enough where I am.

Windows blame Acer and vice versa that's why we will switch to Apple, they can't blame anyone. This device I have dropped in a pool and a coconut hit it from 30 feet up and still functioning!

I am really looking forward to the specialty restaurants (although don't like the sound of having to pay extra for certain dishes). Tamarind sounds right up our alley. I am holding off booking as I am hoping Hal might come up with some exciting dinner packages especially as we will be on koningsdam, what do u think?

Our X cruise had these packages and they were great

Thank you Maureen! This is wonderful information and just what I was looking for.

Are the Vista suites the same as mini-suites on Princess?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by, although if I have my way, I'll be on the ship within a couple of months!

I'm especially looking forward to balcony meals..

Between the fabulous views and good food..

can't go wrong!

We haven't been in a PC mini-suite, just regular balcony room, and one thing I really don't like about PCL is that you don't get a couch until you get up to a mini-suite. Your Amsterdam vista suite will have a couch, whether it's a full couch or a loveseat I'm not sure, others will know better. Our balcony room on Nieuw Amsterdam only had a loveseat but I think the new ships rooms are smaller than the old ship rooms.

You can go to a website for HAL facts which has photos from cruisers by ship class (check Amsterdam or the other R Class sister ships) of specific rooms, public areas, etc. Google HAL facts and it should be the first hit.

While you are in the glacier viewing areas you will want to be all over the ship, not just on your balcony, but to start the day with a room service breakfast or take a lunch break on your balcony, that would be a treat, assuming the weather is nice.

Happy planning, m--

. I am holding off booking as I am hoping Hal might come up with some exciting dinner packages especially as we will be on koningsdam, what do u think?

Our X cruise had these packages and they were great

There were restaurant packages offered with the explore4 which we took advantage of. I don't know if they do them outside of that promotion

Lunch at the Pinnacle Grill is our favorite treat.

As to cabin tips, I like the starboard side for Alaska (just personal preference, I suppose, but I think there is more to see on the starboard side), except for when in Glacier Bay -- most of the good viewing is from the port side. Regardless, if you are able to, it is best to be on the outside decks for glacier day :) When we went to Hubbard last year the ship needed to try a couple of different approaches to the glacier face, so both sides had interesting viewing much of the time.

Our two HAL cruise favorites are: (1) having a Roman Catholic priest on board with Mass offered daily (morning or afternoon depending whether at sea or in port), and (2) enjoying "An Evening at Le Cirque" dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.

NB: If the Le Cirque dinner appeals to you, be sure to make your reservations online ASAP, as the dinner generally books up quickly.

Enjoy your HAL cruise - smooth sailing!

You're such a staunch Princess cruiser, what made you switch?

I'm contemplating a HAL cruise for the first time also.

I'm definitely a Princess fan.... Never had a bad cruise with them

However, I'm willing to try new cruise lines, like HAL cruising is, unfortunately, in my blood! I'd love to go to a 60 plus day cruise!

HAL does long cruises well! Hope you find that HAL suits you and you can start planning a long one!

The extended room service! Hubby isn't well, so being able to have MDR dinners in our cabin is a big plus!

Though both DH and I are well enough to get around, one of the things we really like about HAL is being able to have a decent meal in the room if we are tired from excursions, or feel like staying in and watching a movie while we eat our meal. It's a HAL perk that we appreciate a lot. We love all of the little comforts of cruising with HAL, it really suits us. :)

We took the Amsterdam last year to Alaska and love the ship. It was our first HAL ship and we were in the Neptune suites. It wasn't easy getting food from the restaurant delivered into our room. We specifically had to request daily me use and call room service early in the dinner service to get dinning room food in our room.

However, the Amsterdam is the perfect ship for Alaska. Almost every public room has an ocean view so you can always watch the scenery and whale watch while listing to music ever or eating. That was amazing.

Have a great cruise

We took the Amsterdam last year to Alaska and love the ship. It was our first HAL ship and we were in the Neptune suites. It wasn't easy getting food from the restaurant delivered into our room. We specifically had to request daily me use and call room service early in the dinner service to get dinning room food in our room.

However, the Amsterdam is the perfect ship for Alaska. Almost every public room has an ocean view so you can always watch the scenery and whale watch while listing to music ever or eating. That was amazing.

Have a great cruise

Can you tell us about the difficulty? Did they transfer you? Put you on hold? I understand that you have to call in your request during MDR hours and for each order event. If you can explain how it was not easy we can all learn, because this is an advantage many look forward to on HAL. Thanks, m--

Yes, I'm keen to know. I only ordered room service breakfast and it was hot and accurate each time except once the eggs were hard and once they came a bit early. Otherwise, it was a great way to start the day. I wonder if dinner is more difficult?