Missing Joe Farcus

Bearau

Oh hell no we don't miss the Farcus designs. I was so thrilled that the Breeze had a new designer. I hate those gaudy, garish, dark repetitive desigs of Farcus. We do not miss them at all. The older ships have such a dark, dismal atmosphere to them. All I can think is he was smokin wacky weed or trippin on drugs when he came up with the idea that hundreds of Grecian urns, that look like cheap plastic, was a good idea. Give me light, bright and fresh any day, after all its a cruise ship not a funeral home.

Farcus' designs were insane, but in a wonderful way that made me feel that I had left normal life and stepped into a fantastical world.

The non-Farcus Carnival ships are lovely but feel a little bit IKEA.

His designs aren't things that I'd choose for my home or office. But I kind of appreciate an outrageous and over the top visual flair when I'm on vacation.

I like IKEA. They are clean. In a Farcus design I fully expect to see grannys astimacasser draped over the sofa or piano.

I can't say I really mind the Farcus designs (except for the dining room on Miracle - ugliest dining room afloat:p). A number of them actually are done well, like Butterflies Lounge on Pride. However I don't miss them either. I thought Breeze has very nice public spaces.

I think it is a sweet thing to miss him......

You don't know what you have until it's gone...

You can never connect the dots without hindsight...Steve Jobs said that...

It was tacky to many,,,including me...and my best friend at the time selling cruises as they were coming out and hearing about inaugurals on different lines...we knew Carnival was the most budget....and had these weird designs.

Then I went on Paradise and fell in love..before the recent belt tightening we are all adjusting to. So my 2 Farcus ships so far are Paradise and Spirit. And it is fun wonderful to me...the decor on all of them...

I can't say I really mind the Farcus designs (except for the dining room on Miracle - ugliest dining room afloat:p). A number of them actually are done well, like Butterflies Lounge on Pride. However I don't miss them either. I thought Breeze has very nice public spaces.

I agree on that dining room...sis took that ship when new...lol..I wish we had a "prettier" one on west coast....I guess the grapes and wine country go together...lol.

Yep, I missed his "out there" touch on the Breeze. His style is over the top, but he kept Carnival ships from looking like mega mall food courts. That's exactly what the Lido buffet area felt like to me on the Breeze, a mega mall food court. So far, in this thread, it looks about 50% appreciate Fargus' vision and 50% hate it. That's about what I would have expected. Would I want a Fargus designed house? No. But it's fun in one week increments.

Yep, I missed his "out there" touch on the Breeze. His style is over the top, but he kept Carnival ships from looking like mega mall food courts. That's exactly what the Lido buffet area felt like to me on the Breeze, a mega mall food court. So far, in this thread, it looks about 50% appreciate Fargus' vision and 50% hate it. That's about what I would have expected. Would I want a Fargus designed house? No. But it's fun in one week increments.

Love this. I like being in a wild environment for the week. Plus it feels like being on Fremont street in Vegas to me the while week on his ships!

Does anyone else miss the crazy over the top designs of Joe Farcus.

My wife and I loved exploring Carnival ships when he was the designer as every room was unique, sometimes gaudy but always colourful and weird to some extent. Elation, Miracle, Pride etc

Nowadays every ship on most cruise lines seem to be the same carbon copy with the same colours, browns and gold's in varying shades. I for one wish they would show a little more imagination. Most feel and look like you are in a giant shopping mall. How about one every now and then that breaks the monotony. Something that takes you into another realm.Its the same on RCCL. If you have been on one Voyager class or Freedom class you have been on them all as they all look the same.

Perhaps you should take a look at NCL ...

9586pan.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

9500Pan2.jpg

9504Pan1.jpg

DSC_2987.jpg

D500.jpg

After we went on our first cruise on the Elation I thought I wanted something more classy. I chose The Sapphire Princess next and was disappointed. It was beautiful and classy. But, was way too beige for me. I missed the vibrancy of carnival. I would probably prefer somewhere in between

We have Spirit & Legend sailing down under, both Joe Farcus ships. A bit dark and OTT for me, though when you get to the finer details it does provide much amusement!

I would prefer something a little more modern and streamlined. I agree with whoever said it might have cost them a lot of money, but it's kind of cheap looking. Definitely outdated!

Does anyone else miss the crazy over the top designs of Joe Farcus.

My wife and I loved exploring Carnival ships when he was the designer as every room was unique, sometimes gaudy but always colourful and weird to some extent. Elation, Miracle, Pride etc

Nowadays every ship on most cruise lines seem to be the same carbon copy with the same colours, browns and gold's in varying shades. I for one wish they would show a little more imagination. Most feel and look like you are in a giant shopping mall. How about one every now and then that breaks the monotony. Something that takes you into another realm.Its the same on RCCL. If you have been on one Voyager class or Freedom class you have been on them all as they all look the same.

I actually liked his designs. Watching the roll out of the 8 Fantasy class ships, it was fun watching what he would do with each one. Odd that the first of every class launched was so sterile in design.

There is only one ship where I've liked the Joe Farcus, design, which is Liberty. Victory isn't bad either I suppose. Of the ships I've cruised, I disliked Glory the most.

Being totally honest, while I'm not a fan of the designs, they're very photogenic.

To be honest the loud design of the carnival ships were one of the reasons I had always ruled them out. They weren't spaces j could see myself feeling relaxed in. We are going on the Magic soon and everytime I see videos or photos of the aitrium I cringe. I don't think I'll be spending much time there unless the live musicians are really good!

To be honest the loud design of the carnival ships were one of the reasons I had always ruled them out. They weren't spaces j could see myself feeling relaxed in. We are going on the Magic soon and everytime I see videos or photos of the aitrium I cringe. I don't think I'll be spending much time there unless the live musicians are really good!

Photos don't do it justice. For me, the most over the top ship I sailed was the Ecstasy when she was new. And I LOVED that decor. I wonder if it's the same all these years later.

The transition to no Joe Farcus began with the Magic. Its one of the more understated of his designs. You'll get used to the atrium after the initial shock :p

Farcus' designs were insane, but in a wonderful way that made me feel that I had left normal life and stepped into a fantastical world.

The non-Farcus Carnival ships are lovely but feel a little bit IKEA.

His designs aren't things that I'd choose for my home or office. But I kind of appreciate an outrageous and over the top visual flair when I'm on vacation.

I totally agree!!!!