Losing promotional deals on upgrde?

evitacruiser

We are sailing in a week and I have noticed a lot of cabins have opened up. I called my TA and they said we could pay to upgrade but that we would lose our UDP. Can this be right?

I will be calling NCL direct but just wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Seems crazy to me.

Edited by evitacruiser

We are sailing in a week and I have noticed a lot of cabins have opened up. I called my TA and they said we could pay to upgrade but that we would lose our UDP. Can this be right?

I will be calling NCL direct but just wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Seems crazy to me.

Yep.

Yes, it can be right (not saying that it is, I have never had such problem but times have changed). Current price can be for new bookings only and also the promos are not available for bookings made less than 30 days before departure.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, it can be right (not saying that it is, I have never had such problem but times have changed). Current price can be for new bookings only and also the promos are not available for bookings made less than 30 days before departure.

I could understand it if it was a free ugade but we are offering to pay a not insignificant sum to do it.

Also this (see below) is taken from a website where I could book today so the promos are still being sold with the current prices less than a week out.

Included in the cruise price:

• 1 bottle of water per person/per day in your stateroom
  • A choice of beverages (soft drinks, water, juices, coffee specialities, spirits, cocktails, wine in a glass, bottled beer/draught beer up to 15 USD)
  • All meals on board
  • Baggage transport on embarkation and debarkation
  • Entertainment program on board
  • Insolvency insurance for tour operator
  • Service charge on all all-inclusive services + tips for the crew
  • Taxes and port charges
  • Use of most onboard facilities

"1 bottle of water per person/per day in your stateroom" suggests that the booking is made through NCL's EU office via the promotion available only to German speaking markets. If this is the case, then all bets are off - the rules regarding cancellations, upgrades etc are very different in UK and EU offices compared to US rules that are usually discussed here.

I could understand it if it was a free ugade but we are offering to pay a not insignificant sum to do it.

Also this (see below) is taken from a website where I could book today so the promos are still being sold with the current prices less than a week out.

• A choice of beverages (soft drinks, water, juices, coffee specialities, spirits, cocktails, wine in a glass, bottled beer/draught beer up to 15 USD)
  • All meals on board
  • Taxes and port charges

The above are details of the Premier All-inclusive pricing NCL now operates in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It's not a promo so doesn't have the 30 day limit. It comes at a premium of €18 per day over the Euro pricing in the rest of the Eurozone.

If booking within 30 days of sailing it is good value as for the extra €18 per day you get the UBP (inc. gratuities), DSC (Daily Service Charge) and some Lavazza coffees and bottled water.

At present (whilst elsewhere the 2 x promos are being offered) they are including the 250 minute Internet Package. As this is a promo then the 30 day rule does apply to it.

Yes, we are in the UK.

I believe that in the US upgrades handled by their upsell department can keep their promos. This seems to be the case if the upsell department contacts the customer to offer an upgrade. If the customer seeks an upgrade then the results are less clear and seems to depend on who they speak to at NCL.

I don't know that there is any upsell department for UK/EU bookings. Most lines in the UK won't talk to you if you've booked through an agent and insist all communication must be with the TA. I would expect upgrades done through the TA within 30 days of departure would indeed lose any promos.

I just did this on Wednesday from an oceanviev to a balcony well after final payment date. I never lost my UBP or UDP promotions.....and I booked through an online TA. No problem at all.

So even though you're in Canada, you booked through the UK site? Since this is an EU specific question I wonder why you would book over there?

• All meals on board
  • Taxes and port charges

That is an offer through your TA not NCL. NCL does not offer free bottled water.

As I posted earlier, NCL have now admitted they gave my TA the wrong information, but as the cruise is now sold out there is nothing that can be done to rectify the situation.

I have lodged a complaint but the reality is that unless that cabin opens up again or one very close to it ( I wanted to be close to other family members on our booking) then we will not get what we want. Such is life I suppose, but I am disappointed.

I wouldn't have thought it was such a complicated question or one they haven't been asked before. Probably a training issue.

Edited by evitacruiser

Speaking to US reservations, a friend and I recently went to change our aft penthouse rooms to 2 bedroom villas. We have UDP, UDB, on board credit, gratuities included, and 3 & 4 person in cabin free. Didn't really want to lose those perks if we didn't have.

The person I spoke to let me upgrade, add 2 people to the cabin (who also ended up with UDP) and keep all my perks for less than the current advertised price.

When my friend called, they told her I was supposed to have rebooked and lost everything.

So it sounds like the policy is, upgrades require rebooking (stupid imho... someone is trying to give you more money). I got extremely lucky.

Speaking to US reservations, a friend and I recently went to change our aft penthouse rooms to 2 bedroom villas. We have UDP, UDB, on board credit, gratuities included, and 3 & 4 person in cabin free. Didn't really want to lose those perks if we didn't have.

The person I spoke to let me upgrade, add 2 people to the cabin (who also ended up with UDP) and keep all my perks for less than the current advertised price.

When my friend called, they told her I was supposed to have rebooked and lost everything.

So it sounds like the policy is, upgrades require rebooking (stupid imho... someone is trying to give you more money). I got extremely lucky.

The important part in there is 'less than the advertised price'. UK bookings do not get discounted upsells, so when we call to upgrade, we are paying the full difference between what we paid and what NCL are currently selling it for, so as far as my experience goes, we can generally keep our perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk