Maasdam: follow up to 03/01/16 Review

G&G

I just saw the original short review by a passenger off the Maasdam, Panama Canal cruise, ending in San Diego on 03/15/16.

The CC member noted bad food, bad disembarkation, etc. We have friends who were on this cruise and are now returning to FLL.

One issue was that the ship arrived very late into San Diego and was still in port at 10:30 PM. I would assume lots of people missed their flights home. This could have been the reason for a portion of the bad review.

On another subject, the original thread was Closed due to thread going off topic. I have had a couple of my threads closed and removed for the same issue. Apparently the Host Wait is cracking down on this.

The OP of the review provided such scant detail that his review provided no real idea of the problems encountered. You note that the the ship was late arriving in San Diego, surmise that people may have missed flights as a result and that this might have contributed to the negative comment on disembarkation.

Unfortunately, we still don't know why the Maasdam was delayed getting into port. Consequently, how relevant the timing is to the negative review is still impossible to judge. If they were late because of engine failure, one might have a legitimate reason to complain. On the other hand, if the ship was delayed because it was responding to a Mayday from another vessel in distress, the ship and crew deserve kudos, not criticism.

Maybe your friends can provide a more detailed review. :)

The OP of the review provided such scant detail that his review provided no real idea of the problems encountered. You note that the the ship was late arriving in San Diego, surmise that people may have missed flights as a result and that this might have contributed to the negative comment on disembarkation.

Unfortunately, we still don't know why the Maasdam was delayed getting into port. Consequently, how relevant the timing is to the negative review is still impossible to judge. If they were late because of engine failure, one might have a legitimate reason to complain. On the other hand, if the ship was delayed because it was responding to a Mayday from another vessel in distress, the ship and crew deserve kudos, not criticism.

Maybe your friends can provide a more detailed review. :)

Will be contacting them on their return in less than two weeks. I will get to the bottom of this.

Signed,

Sherlock Holmes :D

Dear Sherlock,

Much appreciated. That review lacked in details and it would be a benefit to hear another version.

How have you been and what's next?

Hi SilvertoGold,

Doing great and thanks for asking.

Sail on Celebrity Equinox next week to Caribbean. Great deal; includes prepaid trips, large cabin credit and unlimited drinks :eek:

Rick, from what I've told by our mutual friends delay was due to high seas coming north out of Cabo. Captain had made an announcement of delay into SAN. Hope folks were able to make alternative fight arrangements.

Hi SilvertoGold,

Doing great and thanks for asking.

Sail on Celebrity Equinox next week to Caribbean. Great deal; includes prepaid trips, large cabin credit and unlimited drinks :eek:

That is great! Better be careful with the unlimited drinks: you won`t be able to remember how HAL and Celebrity compare.

Bon Voyage and have a SUPER time!!

Rick, from what I've told by our mutual friends delay was due to high seas coming north out of Cabo. Captain had made an announcement of delay into SAN. Hope folks were able to make alternative fight arrangements.

Thanks PlanoBob.

No further investigation by Mr Holmes is required.

That is great! Better be careful with the unlimited drinks: you won`t be able to remember how HAL and Celebrity compare.

Bon Voyage and have a SUPER time!!

Thanks SilvertoGold.

As far as those unlimited drinks, I will be wearing my HAL medallion on this cruise. I have printed my cabin number on the medallion just in case I forget where I reside or someone can carry me back to the stateroom :eek:

Thanks SilvertoGold.

As far as those unlimited drinks, I will be wearing my HAL medallion on this cruise. I have printed my cabin number on the medallion just in case I forget where I reside or someone can carry me back to the stateroom :eek:

That sounds like a plan!!

How do Celebrity Mariner rewards compare with HAL's? Not quite HAL's 5 star........

That sounds like a plan!!

How do Celebrity Mariner rewards compare with HAL's? Not quite HAL's 5 star........

I guess they are close to same; though have not reached their elite class;only 5 sailings to date on Celebrity.

The best things I have found on Celebrity;

Newer ships, large flat screen tv in room, much better entertainment.

Plus if you find the right cruise, the price may include drinks & prepaid tips. Last cruise on the Equinox, 10 day Caribbean, got Conceirge class balcony cabin, free unlimited drinks, prepaid tips and $400 cabin credit for $154/day/person.

I guess they are close to same; though have not reached their elite class;only 5 sailings to date on Celebrity.

The best things I have found on Celebrity;

Newer ships, large flat screen tv in room, much better entertainment.

Plus if you find the right cruise, the price may include drinks & prepaid tips. Last cruise on the Equinox, 10 day Caribbean, got Conceirge class balcony cabin, free unlimited drinks, prepaid tips and $400 cabin credit for $154/day/person.

What a great deal! Not the pricing I would expect with HAL.

I hope you both have the best cruise. Please come back and tell us about it. You could do a basic comparison with HAL!

What a great deal! Not the pricing I would expect with HAL.

I hope you both have the best cruise. Please come back and tell us about it. You could do a basic comparison with HAL!

Thanks and I will.

Since I like you CC name and will be on a 10 cruise with free unlimited drinks, maybe I should change my CC name

from G&G to SobertoDrunk :eek:

Thanks and I will.

Since I like you CC name and will be on a 10 cruise with free unlimited drinks, maybe I should change my CC name

from G&G to SobertoDrunk :eek:

Glad you like my CC name. I did, too until it was out of date. SobertoDrunk has a nice ring to it!

My parents were on this cruise so I may be able ot help a bit with the cause of the delay.

The captain blamed it on weather but the reality is that it was a mix of issues:

The first was waitning in Cabo 2.5 hours later than normal because a ship sponsored excursion was late getting back to the ship - so HAL decided to wait for these passengers which is expected BUT it then put them behind schedule. Then they could not get the gangway back onto the ship or away from it. my parents were unclear which way they were trying to move things but it was not working and that caused them an added 45 minute delay so now they are 3.25 hours late getting away from Cabo.

Then there was a strong head wind that the captain said slowed their progress. In all they ended up 5 hours late into port so my parents had to get a hotel and change flights at a cost of about 2000 dollars. HAL accepts no responsibility for this and they had to fight with HAL to even get internet and phone access while onboard to make changes.

Their original flight was at 2 pm. Lots of time to make it if HAL had not chosen to wait for the passengers who were late or had chosen to spend a little more on fuel pushig into the head winds IMO. In terms of how strong the current or heads winds were, the waves were not that high. The real culprit was the waiting in Cabo.

My parents have done lots of cruises and never once has one been even a minute late into its final port. 2 pm should have been fine even with a couple hours delay. HAL (or any cruise line) needs to take some responsibility in this case.

I admit I am going on second hand info at this point so this may not be correct but it is my best understanding of what was reported to me by my parents.

Gary