Remind me about beach towels

I forgot what I read a while ago. I have a family w/teens & tweens going on Oasis soon. I think I recall reading that you can use the ship's beach/pool towels, but if you lose them, you pay. Is that correct? I'm wondering if I should just bring my own beach towels so I don't have to worry about someone stealing our towel or my boys forgetting where they put theirs.

If you use RCI's pool towels, how are they? Do they fit a normal body or are they a typical small towel? Thank you.

Royal did away with the towel check out policy by the pool. It now works like a hotel, you pick up towels and drop them off when done. You can take them off the ship for an excursion day, but will be required to scan for them then. The towels are normal, large beach towels, nothing special.

We've noticed that this policy varies by ship. The last two cruises on Vision, we were required to check-out towels all the time, they did scan the SeaPass card., and the scanner was connected to a laptop.

Is this true for all Royal ships? Specifically, on Anthem. No towel check out?

We were on Anthem over New Years and they were still scanning for towels. There is some question as to whether they are really tracking anything and if they would actually charge you, but from what I could tell, they actually did scan my card.

We've noticed that this policy varies by ship. The last two cruises on Vision, we were required to check-out towels all the time, they did scan the SeaPass card., and the scanner was connected to a laptop.

Just came off Explorer last month and the same thing there.

I don't have a problem with the tracking concept. It inserts a level of accountability for those who would otherwise just leave their sandy towel on a beach if they feel there's no consequences (and that used to happen a great deal, I understand).

There was a towel shortage on the Liberty 2 years ago on shore days due to the shrinking supply (I was told), because that was shortly after they did away with the unpopular towel charge.

I do wish they would just provide the towels in your cabin ... and there's your accountability factor. One towel per guest, which can be counted at the end of the cruise. Everytime the towel is used throughout the course of the cruise, the cabin steward replaces it with a nice fresh one.

They were checking them out on Radiance last week and only allowing one towel per card. No mention of a charge if they weren't returned although someone would have to be pretty desparate to want to walk off the the towels they provided.

If it prevents people just leaving towels lying around on chairs which they've vacated I have no problem checking towels in and out

They were checking them out on Radiance last week and only allowing one towel per card. No mention of a charge if they weren't returned although someone would have to be pretty desparate to want to walk off the the towels they provided.

If it prevents people just leaving towels lying around on chairs which they've vacated I have no problem checking towels in and out

Interesting, I've not yet been on a ship where I've run into a limit on towels per card. Maybe they look at the number of guests in the stateroom, but I was able to get 4 towels on my card on Vision.

Interesting, I've not yet been on a ship where I've run into a limit on towels per card. Maybe they look at the number of guests in the stateroom, but I was able to get 4 towels on my card on Vision.

Well because they were pretty lax on monitoring them going back we just exchanged 2 dirty towels for clean ones then checked out 2 more clean towels the next day and thereafter swapped 4 at the end of each day. It was hardly as if they had a shortage of towels so seemed a bit pointless to restrict them :rolleyes: