How wide are the hallways on a Carnival ship

tigercat

I will have to start bringing a scooter on board ship now. I will have a Go Go Ultra that is 20.5 width. I was wondering though how wide are the halls that are on the cabin floors. I didn't think to measure that when we were on our cruise in Jan. I have tried searching for the information but can't come up with a number. Can anyone help?

I want to be able to manage to get into a "room" before I go so thought I would see if my scooter would be able to make the turn and get into the cabin.

tigercat

The scooter will fit through the hallways, but getting it into a regular room is another issue! Even if you can get through the doorway, it is often impossible to get it past the bed to the open space which is often at the far end of the cabin. A handicapped room may be necessary!

I will have to start bringing a scooter on board ship now. I will have a Go Go Ultra that is 20.5 width. I was wondering though how wide are the halls that are on the cabin floors. I didn't think to measure that when we were on our cruise in Jan. I have tried searching for the information but can't come up with a number. Can anyone help?

I want to be able to manage to get into a "room" before I go so thought I would see if my scooter would be able to make the turn and get into the cabin.

tigercat

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus (3 wheels) Mobility Scooter. We just came off of the Carnival Pride a few weeks ago. It was the 3rd time with the scooter. We had a standard balcony cabin on the main deck AFT. DH removes the armrests, and I drive it from the hallway into the cabin. I'm a pro now!!!!! I believe my scooter has a 21.5" base., and I guess because we remove the armrests, I'm able to drive it into the cabin.

Here are the Pride's Specs:

"Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels."

Carnival Pride is in their Spirit Class of ships, and where our cabin was located makes it easier to angle and turn into the cabin. There was a small hallway to the left of our cabin, and no inside cabins across the Hallway (We get the same cabin every time we sail on the Pride). Of course, I'm able to stand and if I was not able to drive into the cabin, DH could have me exit the scooter, and he could take it apart and bring it in piece by piece. I had my charger with me and could have easily charged the battery in the cabin, but I had a new battery, and didn't need to charge it the entire week.

Also, Carnival likes to know if you'll be using a scooter during the cruise even if you won't be staying in an accessible cabin. It's best to contact the Special Needs Dept. beforehand. That way, you may be guided to a lounge, or other venue on the ship for the muster drill (at least they did that on the Pride), and they have the info in case of emergency.

Have fun on your cruise!! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks fair-wind. The specs that I have for the GoGo Elite is 19.5 width and mine will be 20.5 width. I went down to the showroom today to try things out but without the width of the hall it is hard to figure out. It is the turning into the room that I think I might have problems with.

What is the difference between a 3 and a 4 wheel scooter? I know the turning width is closer with a 3 rather than a 4 but is the 3 stable enough?

As for a handicapped room I couldn't get one for either the Oct. cruise or for the Feb. 2017 cruise. Also, the handicapped rooms only hold 2 people and in Oct. there will be 3 of us in the room. The scooter does come apart really easy and I am hoping to actually use my walker for most of the time on the ship. When I leave the ship however I will need my scooter.

Also I have already sent the information to the Special Needs department for both cruises so that is taken care of.

tigercat

Thanks fair-wind. The specs that I have for the GoGo Elite is 19.5 width and mine will be 20.5 width. I went down to the showroom today to try things out but without the width of the hall it is hard to figure out. It is the turning into the room that I think I might have problems with.

What is the difference between a 3 and a 4 wheel scooter? I know the turning width is closer with a 3 rather than a 4 but is the 3 stable enough?

As for a handicapped room I couldn't get one for either the Oct. cruise or for the Feb. 2017 cruise. Also, the handicapped rooms only hold 2 people and in Oct. there will be 3 of us in the room. The scooter does come apart really easy and I am hoping to actually use my walker for most of the time on the ship. When I leave the ship however I will need my scooter.

Also I have already sent the information to the Special Needs department for both cruises so that is taken care of.

tigercat

The 3 wheel Mobility Scooter works great for me, and I've never had a problem with stability. I don't rush into a turn; I take it easy. Turning around in small areas has never been a problem. In fact, when I drive into the cabin, I pass between the sofa, with the table in front of it to my right (DH moves the table a tiny bit), and the desk/vanity on my left, and continue straight toward the left side of the bed. I can then actually angle the scooter toward the foot of the bed in such a way, that I can actually turn around between the desk/vanity, and sofa so I'm facing the door.

When I come down the hallway, I stay very close to the wall across from the doorway (there are no cabins across from us), my DH opens the door, I turn the scooter slowly, sharply, and then get the back wheel as close to the door as possible, and as I continue over the threshold, I'm in the cabin. One other thing, I've never come back to the cabin myself. If I try that, I'll need to bring a door stop, so the door will stay open (I don't even know if that would work). I can exit my scooter and stand up, but trying to maneuver it into the cabin, unlocking it to push it, holding the lever, and steering, etc. would be impossible and dangerous. So usually when we go out, we're out for the day.

I also bring my fold-up cane, and a walker. I try to use the walker at off times to walk up and down the hallway for exercise. I can make it a couple of times, but not enough to use it all over the ship.

The overall length of my scooter is 40", so if you can picture this, when I'm in the hallway, turned and facing the doorway of the cabin, I think I might have an inch or two in the front of the scooter, so maybe the hallways are 40"+ or something like that. If that description helps you with the hallway width.

Thank you for the information. This is such a hard decision to make. We really want to use it on our cruise but I will need it here at home as well. I look after my 3 youngest grandchildren during summer break and I will be able to use the scooter to take them to places around here. Unlike the last 3 yrs. where I kept them here at the house. But it is a big decision and money so want to make the best decision for me.

tigercat

tigercat

It sounds as if you haven't purchased a scooter as yet. If, as you say, $ are an issue you might consider a Shoprider Hero. It sells for well under $600, while the GO GO ULTRA is $800 plus. Check out the specs on the Hero. I know Walgreen's price is $579 and others are in that range. Enjoy your trip!

Actually my insurance may end up paying for it all. As well if not then I can apply to the government for some money off. I don't think it will be a problem getting it covered with the insurance though as I have all the paperwork from the Dr. and we have a limit of $4,500.00 and the one we are looking at the LX with suspension. It is $2,000.00. Since I do have the advantage of the insurance I want to make sure I get one that will work for everything I need it for and it will stand up. I keep going between 2 different ones as well as a 3 vs. 4 wheel one. The one under the LX is shorter and a little tiny bit less width but am not sure it will stand up to the things I need it for here. I just wish things would just jump out at you and say this is the one you need LOL I guess not happening though.

Also, I live in Canada and we don't have any Walgreens up here but I did buy my first walker there. It was cheap and it sort of did the job but when I had my knee surgery and bad burn I was able to get a great one with our insurance and government program the Expresso and it is heads above the one from Walgreens. Actually it is kind of funny because when I am on a cruise I am always asked where I got it from. It is only sold in Canada though.

tigercat

Actually my insurance may end up paying for it all. As well if not then I can apply to the government for some money off. I don't think it will be a problem getting it covered with the insurance though as I have all the paperwork from the Dr. and we have a limit of $4,500.00 and the one we are looking at the LX with suspension. It is $2,000.00. Since I do have the advantage of the insurance I want to make sure I get one that will work for everything I need it for and it will stand up. I keep going between 2 different ones as well as a 3 vs. 4 wheel one. The one under the LX is shorter and a little tiny bit less width but am not sure it will stand up to the things I need it for here. I just wish things would just jump out at you and say this is the one you need LOL I guess not happening though.

Also, I live in Canada and we don't have any Walgreens up here but I did buy my first walker there. It was cheap and it sort of did the job but when I had my knee surgery and bad burn I was able to get a great one with our insurance and government program the Expresso and it is heads above the one from Walgreens. Actually it is kind of funny because when I am on a cruise I am always asked where I got it from. It is only sold in Canada though.

tigercat

The hallway width isn't the issue as there will be plenty of room too position the scooer for entry into the cabin The issue to be concerned about is the width of a cabin standard door. A standard cabin door for most mass market cruise lines width being 23". Howevr it's important to note that measurment is from door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door when opened as it does not open flush to the wall. Therefore the actual width is only 21". The scooters frame at it's widest point needs to be less than 21" as well as the arm rests need to be positioned at less than 21" wide to be able to make the turn in to the cabin regardless of the hallway width.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The hallway width isn't the issue as there will be plenty of room too position the scooer for entry into the cabin The issue to be concerned about is the width of a cabin standard door. A standard cabin door for most mass market cruise lines width being 23". Howevr it's important to note that measurment is from door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door when opened as it does not open flush to the wall. Therefore the actual width is only 21". The scooters frame at it's widest point needs to be less than 21" as well as the arm rests need to be positioned at less than 21" wide to be able to make the turn in to the cabin regardless of the hallway width.

Actually the hall width does come into play when you are trying to make the turn. The different scooters require a different amount of room to make a good turn. The scooter I am looking at is 20.5 inches wide without the arms which I already know I will leave at home. I have found that I can easily move the scooter when the scooter is out of gear but would rather not have to do it.

tigercat

Actually the hall width does come into play when you are trying to make the turn. The different scooters require a different amount of room to make a good turn. The scooter I am looking at is 20.5 inches wide without the arms which I already know I will leave at home. I have found that I can easily move the scooter when the scooter is out of gear but would rather not have to do it.

tigercat

My Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus specs on the Pride Mobility website states that the Overall Width of Base is 21.25," and this specification is subject to a variance of +/- 3%. I suppose that's how I can drive thru the standard balcony doorway, plus I remove the armrests. We have a Luggie too, but I like the Pride GoGo better. We purchased the Luggie for a relative, so I've only tried it once. I felt more stable on the GoGo.

I have a brochure for the Go Go Scooters and was trying to find yours. You kept saying your width but there was nothing like that in the brochure so I went to the web site. Thanks for saying that you went there to find the specs because it was easier for me then as well. The one I am looking at is the LX with CTS Suspension. It has a width of 20.5 so it should be fine for the door without the arms if yours is listed at 21.

Now the only thing is do I get a 4 wheel or a 3 wheel scooter. If I am using around town here to take the kids to the park would it be better for me to have the 4 wheel? But then is the 3 wheel better for the ship? Questions Questions I know. I really do appreciate all the help and information you have given me as I don't know anyone with a scooter.

tigercat

I have a brochure for the Go Go Scooters and was trying to find yours. You kept saying your width but there was nothing like that in the brochure so I went to the web site. Thanks for saying that you went there to find the specs because it was easier for me then as well. The one I am looking at is the LX with CTS Suspension. It has a width of 20.5 so it should be fine for the door without the arms if yours is listed at 21.

Now the only thing is do I get a 4 wheel or a 3 wheel scooter. If I am using around town here to take the kids to the park would it be better for me to have the 4 wheel? But then is the 3 wheel better for the ship? Questions Questions I know. I really do appreciate all the help and information you have given me as I don't know anyone with a scooter.

tigercat

For the park a 4 wheel will be better as well a being more stable over all. However on a cruise ship , unless you have booked an accessible cabin, you'll have great difficulty manuvering a 4 wheel scooter through a standard door cabin due to the larger turning radius required. A 3 Wheelscooter is more practical on a cruise ship because it has a tighter turning radius. For example the Pride Go Go LX w/suspension :

• 3 wheel has a turning radius of 33"
  • 4 wheel has a turning radius of 44.75 "

tigercat

Yes, I totally agree with xxoocruiser; 3-wheeler for cruise. It makes turning in tight spaces so much easier. As I mentioned, I was able to turn my scooter around in our cabin. It took some easy backing up and going forward, but it worked at least in the layout of that particular cabin.

We just returned a couple weeks ago from the Glory. It was my first cruise with my scooter. I thank God every day for it. I could no longer cruise without it. That being said, we had a Suite so there was plenty room for it and I could even turn it around in there. I have a 3 wheeled Pride Victory series which is slightly larger in that the mechanism is bulkier and it carries a heavier load if you know what I mean. I think it may be the same width as yours. We took the armrests off and left them at home. It took a day or so to perfect getting thru the cabin door. I rode the front end an inch or 2 past the door opening then did a hard turn thru the doorway. BUT it is a very tight fit. There was about enough room left to put a sheet of paper between the scooter and the doorjam. Don't let it scare you. Just try it a couple times. You need to make a straight approach to get thru.

The hallways were NO PROBLEM. I could even fit thru when the cabin stewards cart was in the hallway. The rest of the ship there were no problems. I can walk a short distance so I could park it right inside th MDR entrance out of the way. They were actually mesmerized by my ability to parallel park it the first time every time.

Be prepared to get a bit frustrated getting on and off the elevators. People are RUDE. They don't want to hold the door for you and want to jump right in no matter how long you've been waiting. When we finally got on I would pull straight in the middle. That way others could fill in on both sides. Then I'd wait for others to get off and I'd back out with my husband as a lookout. Also be prepared for people to totally ignore the fact that you are on a scooter. They will step right in front of you and expect you to be ably to stop on a dime. I turned the little control know closer to the rabbit while on the ship to be able to control take-offs better. I didn't want to go too fast.

Enjoy the freedom the scooter will give you. I went alone one day to the Deli to get a sandwich to have in my cabin and was gone and back in 5 minutes, Way faster than on foot. I rode all around San Juan and up the hill almost to San Cristobal. It was a little bumpy on the cobblestones but not too bad. Getting to the pool at Grand Turk was a treat I had to miss last year. I was unable to go to HMC as scooters are not permitted on tenders. But we had the ship to ourselves and took advantage of the empty hot tubs that day. In St Thomas we just shopped right at the port which was all we wanted to do anyway, and then went to the Butterfly farm.

Go to the medical store and try both. Mine was the same price as it was online. I also bought a lift to carry mine on the back of the car. I would recommend the 3 wheeled one. Its so easy at department stores etc. Very easy to maneuver.

Edited by Boozebabe

tigercat

And I hope you know you can ride it right to the door of an airplane and they will stow it with cargo. It'll be right at the door when you get off the plane. Just be careful about taking it out of gear before pushing it. Also some of the ships crew will try to help on and off the ramps by trying to push it. DO NOT LET THEM DO THAT. It will ruin the motor. If necessary get off and take it out of gear then let them push it. There is a little switch in the back part to take it out of gear. I put a duct tape sign on mine so they won't push without disengaging the motor.

Hope my rambling helps.

The turning radius of a 3 wheel vs a 4 wheel is 33 for 3 wheel and 44.75 for a 4 wheel. That is where the hall width will matter. We talked about it tonight and I am going to call the store tomorrow. Because I will need it for around here we are thinking that the 4 wheel will be better for me in the long run. I do have 2 cruises booked but with the economy who knows when we will be able to go after those 2. I did try and turn the 4 wheel into a 22" opening with a 5 ft. "hall" and it was really difficult. Of course I had used painters tape on the floor to try it out. My husband suggested that after we get it he will make a "course" for me to practice on. I know that the 3 wheel really turns tight though.

After talking to the gentleman at the store maybe I will be better informed as well. They do rent scooters for people going on cruises so that might help.

I do appreciate the stories on how you have done it. This cruise there will be 3 of us in a regular balcony so it will be interesting how we manage. The second cruise is in a standard balcony room but only 2 of us. I might have them take the table out of the room.

tigercat

The turning radius of a 3 wheel vs a 4 wheel is 33 for 3 wheel and 44.75 for a 4 wheel. That is where the hall width will matter. We talked about it tonight and I am going to call the store tomorrow. Because I will need it for around here we are thinking that the 4 wheel will be better for me in the long run. I do have 2 cruises booked but with the economy who knows when we will be able to go after those 2. I did try and turn the 4 wheel into a 22" opening with a 5 ft. "hall" and it was really difficult. Of course I had used painters tape on the floor to try it out. My husband suggested that after we get it he will make a "course" for me to practice on. I know that the 3 wheel really turns tight though.

After talking to the gentleman at the store maybe I will be better informed as well. They do rent scooters for people going on cruises so that might help.

I do appreciate the stories on how you have done it. This cruise there will be 3 of us in a regular balcony so it will be interesting how we manage. The second cruise is in a standard balcony room but only 2 of us. I might have them take the table out of the room.

tigercat

No one on this forum is going to be able to tell you the width of the hallways as they vary from ship to ship, floor by floor and even varies on the same floors. If you seeking specific measurements than you need to contact Carnvial directly as they're the only ones that could possibly tell you the width of the hallway for your specific ship directly in front of your specific cabin.

You stated "I did try and turn the 4 wheel into a 22" opening with a 5 ft. "hall" . This is all for naught as I previously posted that the clearane for a standard cabin door is only 21" not 22". Additionally Carnival's website also states that the scooter must be less than 21" to fit into a standard cabin entry. Following was copuied directly from Carnival's website you can also check it out yourself with this link http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx

Mobility Scooters:
Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors.
Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway.
If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter

Being that your preference for home usuage appears to be a 4 wheel scooter, than personally if it were me I'd rent a scooter for the cruise from either one of Carnival's approved vendors ( http://www.CareVacations.com or http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com ). There's a reason that both companies only rent 3 wheel scooters for cruises and not 4 wheel versions. Additionally if you do not require a full size or bariatric scooter the 3 wheel basic rentals from either company have already been proven to fit through a standard cabin doorway provided the arm rests have been properly adjusted as that's usually the hangup.

Edited by xxoocruiser

After I posted I sent an e-mail to Carnival special needs. I know that my scooter has to be less than 21 that is why the one I am looking at is less than 21. I just thought that maybe someone knew the width of the halls of only rooms or knew where I might be able to get the information.

As for me trying out the scooter it was a matter of seeing how hard it might be. I like to make sure that what I am buying is going to work for what I need it for. For me sometimes that means a lot of hands on research.

I talked to the store and it seems that yes they do rent 4 wheel scooters for people going on cruises.

But thanks for your input xxoocruiser

I talked to the store and it seems that yes they do rent 4 wheel scooters for people going on cruises.

Please note that just because the store you're dealing with has rented 4 wheel scooters for people going on cruises what you don't know is what type of cabin those individuals booked. If the people booked an accessible cabin that has a minimum of a 30" entry door than getting a 4 wheel scooter into the cabin would be doable. However what the store/salespeson isn't going to tell you (even if they knew) is whether or not any of those individuals had trouble manuvering a 4 wheel scooter in/out of a standard cabin doorway. Remember that in the end the salesperson wants to sell a scooter. As stated before there's a reason that CareVacations as well as SpecialNeedsatSea rents only 3 wheel scooters for cruises.

Good luck trying to a get a 4 wheelscooter in/out of a standard cabin doorway.

Edited by xxoocruiser

After I posted I sent an e-mail to Carnival special needs. I know that my scooter has to be less than 21 that is why the one I am looking at is less than 21. I just thought that maybe someone knew the width of the halls of only rooms or knew where I might be able to get the information.

As for me trying out the scooter it was a matter of seeing how hard it might be. I like to make sure that what I am buying is going to work for what I need it for. For me sometimes that means a lot of hands on research.

I would be shocked if you could turn a 4 wheeler into a cabin. Not sure why you think you need a 4 wheeler at home. My 3 wheeler is perfect for everything I do. If you buy a 4 wheeler and want to take it on a cuise I really think you'll be disappointed. Just my humble opinion. You need to go drive a few around the store.

I do realize that the 3 wheeler can turn sharper and we are looking at it as well. The big problem with a 3 wheeler for me is where my legs go. I am very short and they would have to do something to build up the bottom so my feet touch. Also, because of my disability if I leave my legs in one position for any length of time my legs seize up and are really painful. That is the biggest thing that the 4 wheel has. I could move my feet from straight down to up on the top of the wheels. I tried doing that with a 3 wheel and you can't do it. I am worried that if I can't move my legs than the scooter is really not going to help me much at all. For those of you that have 3 wheelers can you put your feet up? I hate being short sometimes.

tigercat

I do realize that the 3 wheeler can turn sharper and we are looking at it as well. The big problem with a 3 wheeler for me is where my legs go. I am very short and they would have to do something to build up the bottom so my feet touch. Also, because of my disability if I leave my legs in one position for any length of time my legs seize up and are really painful. That is the biggest thing that the 4 wheel has. I could move my feet from straight down to up on the top of the wheels. I tried doing that with a 3 wheel and you can't do it. I am worried that if I can't move my legs than the scooter is really not going to help me much at all. For those of you that have 3 wheelers can you put your feet up? I hate being short sometimes.

tigercat

I can't put my feet up on my scooter. I'm the opposite; I need to stand up every so often to stretch my legs.

I hope you find the scooter that is best for you, and fits your needs. For me, I needed something to get around large areas/venues, etc., so the 3-wheeler works for me. It has paid for itself many times over.

Have fun on your upcoming cruises.

tigercat

First of all my seat is somewhat adjustable up and down. The foot board of mine is flat then it curves upward toward the front. I find myself adjusting my feet often to stay comfortable. Also the tiller (the steering column) can be adjusted closer to you by loosening the knob and lowering it to get it closer to you. I feel you really need to go to a medical supply place and try them all. That way you can drive them around and see exactly what works for you. They will know whats best for your size and condition. They let me take them out in the parking lot etc. In the long run a 4 wheeler would do you no good if you couldn't get it into your cabin. Not sure what they will say if you can't get it in the room.

First of all my seat is somewhat adjustable up and down. The foot board of mine is flat then it curves upward toward the front. I find myself adjusting my feet often to stay comfortable. Also the tiller (the steering column) can be adjusted closer to you by loosening the knob and lowering it to get it closer to you. I feel you really need to go to a medical supply place and try them all. That way you can drive them around and see exactly what works for you. They will know whats best for your size and condition. They let me take them out in the parking lot etc. In the long run a 4 wheeler would do you no good if you couldn't get it into your cabin. Not sure what they will say if you can't get it in the room.

Going to a medical supply place is where I have gone to see about the scooter. Around here no store sells them in their store. I think you can go on line to see them but then you don't get to try them out.

The scooters have adjustable seats however they are all still too high for me. The one 4 wheeler (which can also be a 3 wheeler) will need they said a rubber tile or something put on the bottom to raise it up enough for me.

The 4 wheel really worked out well outside. Now I have only been able to take it outside once because of the weather although I have been back a couple of times and have been able to use it at the supply store. They have made the store up so that you can take their scooters or any other equipment they have around the store.

Having the tiler move is great and does make it nice to drive.

I have used the ones at Disney World though and at Wal Mart and because of that this one was so easy to use compared to them.

We have been going back and forth about the 3 vs. the 4. They have suggested the 4 (and the 4 and 3 are the same price so pushing for the 4 doesn't benefit them) wheeler because of the length of my legs and the problems with my legs. I can move my legs from being down to being up a little.

As for getting it in the cabin I can push it when the gears are off so I can move it easily. The other thing is that it can be taken apart really easy and I am able to do that. Once in the cabin I can have my two boys move it. I would prefer to be able to get it in and out without doing that but if that is what I have to do I will.

I am going to go back to the store and drive a 3 wheeler outside when the weather permits it. I don't have to buy it until Oct. for our cruise. However, I would like it by the time summer comes when I have the 3 young grandkids to look after, so I can take them places.

I will have time to really become comfortable with the scooter and maybe even set up an practice hall and doorway.

tigercat