Dress Code for Men

LewiLewi

The last time we were on the QM2 my husband wore his tux 18 of the 21 days on board. That was 8 years ago. Has the dress code relaxed since then or are tuxes still required?

We will be on a 7 night crossing in August.

Thank you.

They are somewhat relaxing the dresscodes. There will be a few formal nights on a TA, but not as many as before.

Mozbob, I very much like the black velvet jacket look, but I think that only works in the winter (at least that's the case here in NY).

Sorry, I don't know what would be appropriate in the Grills since my experience is limited to Britannia & Britannia Club where my male tablemates have always worn tuxedos on formal nights. But as I see it, a dark grey suit does meet the dress code :) -S.

Dress codes in the Grills are the same as elsewhere on board, Salacia. Hope you had a good holiday season. We cruise more on Celebrity(and one on the Regal Princess)so I'm not as frequent here as I used to be. Anything on Jimsgirl? I've missed much here lately.

I don't have a tux or a black suit, so I want to get some opinions on the 'dark suit' definitions to help me establishing, whether I can work with what I have for the formal nights or not. I don't mind dressing up, but also wouldn't mind not having to go out shopping for more, if there's appropriate options in my closet.

I've got two options for your opinions:

1) a dark grey (business) suit, white shirt and tie

2) a black (not sports) velvet jacket, dark grey slacks, white shirt and tie

Would either of these combinations be appropriate as 'formal'?

Would either of those also be seen as appropriate in the Grills, or is it stricter there?

Thanks for your views :confused::confused::confused:

Both sound fine! Grills follow the same standards as Britannia. If anything some in Britannia really like to go all out!

A tuxedo is not pretentious when one is invited to a formal event, whether it be a gala dinner/ball on shore or a formal dinner on a ship. It is proper etiquette to honour a dress code. Even on the most formal of ships - the Union-Castle Line from my experience - no-one was turned away from the dining saloon if wearing a mere business suit.

On my last eight Cunard voyages - on three ships - my estimate is that never fewer then 50% of gents wore tuxedos on the formal nights - and it was often 90% or more. Even on the informal nights a large number of men, including me, wear a tie with the mandatory jacket.

A huge number of young people do not want to be like their parents. As it is the "boomer" generation that started all this casual nonsense so prevalent in fine restaurants, theatres and ships, there is hope that the pendulum will swing back. I know some young adults (my son being one) who are appalled at the casual dress of their parents.

We saw quite a few kids on our Regal Princess cruise(Feb.7-21)who were FAR dressed better than their parents. I think a lot was to impress their friends.(which is fine by me)

... There will be a few formal nights on a TA, but not as many as before.
Hi keithm,

If I'm mistaken I apologise now, but I think the number of formal nights on a typical transatlantic crossing has been pretty constant for many years.

In the days of the five-night crossings there were 3 formal nights (plus informal first and last night), so I understand.

When I did a six-night crossing in 2006 there were 3 formal nights (plus informal first and last night, and one "elegant casual").

On my last seven-night crossing there were 3 formal nights (plus four informal nights).

Again, I apologise if I am wrong, best wishes :)

Hi keithm,

If I'm mistaken I apologise now, but I think the number of formal nights on a typical transatlantic crossing has been pretty constant for many years.

In the days of the five-night crossings there were 3 formal nights (plus informal first and last night), so I understand.

When I did a six-night crossing in 2006 there were 3 formal nights (plus informal first and last night, and one "elegant casual").

On my last seven-night crossing there were 3 formal nights (plus four informal nights).

That has been our experience too. Last year on a 8 day Southampton/Halifax/NY crossing there were 4 formal nights. During our recent QM2 WC South America segments, there were 11 formal nights in 28 days.

Bob

We expect 3 formals per week on a TA and only 2 per week on a cruise.

Incidentally, in all our QG trips, only once have I seen someone not wearing a dinner suit. The gentleman in question was from the US and for some reason, dined mostly alone, with his wife only coming to dinner about twice a week and never for lunch. He wore a dark suit for formals.

From what I've noticed, ladies in QG tend to wear long dresses on formals, like her indoors, but I've noticed a trend in the MDR leaning towards cocktail dresses on formals.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

My husband tends to wear his dinner suit 2-3 times on a two week trip and his black suit and tie the rest of the formals - because he likes it! Even in the QG - though I don't think it should matter which restaurant one is in.

I usually wear a long dress, but have been known to wear ballerina length or a cocktail dress on a formal evening.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Hi keithm,

I think in the past(much more distant) there were more formal nights than today. I'm glad that Cunard is actually LISTENING to their customers & not the whiney few! I still have a brochure from 2005("Float off somewhere" was the motto then) Informal nights were shirt & slacks with/without sweater or sport coat. seems Cunard actually became more formal after that, as I never saw that dresscode again.

I think in the past(much more distant) there were more formal nights than today. I'm glad that Cunard is actually LISTENING to their customers & not the whiney few! I still have a brochure from 2005("Float off somewhere" was the motto then) Informal nights were shirt & slacks with/without sweater or sport coat. seems Cunard actually became more formal after that, as I never saw that dresscode again.

Interesting to have the historic perspective. …My understanding is that formal dress was a nightly affair on the Queen Mary (without the deuce). Can anyone verify this?

Interesting to have the historic perspective. …My understanding is that formal dress was a nightly affair on the Queen Mary (without the deuce). Can anyone verify this?

Never on the first or last nights in any cabin category - a long term standard on passenger vessels.

Edited by Salacia

Ah, the memories... On my first crossing back in 2008, there were four formal nights on a six night crossing, exempting the first and last night. The first and last ones was semi-formal, so you still didn't dare to arrive at your dining room without at least a jacket and a tie:cool:

Hello all,

Its an interesting thread.

We will be new to cruising or crossing and are thoroughly excited. We are not formal dressers normally and god forbid we may even classify as unkempt or the great unwashed!

We are thoroughly looking forward to formal and informal evenings and my Wife specifically wanted Cunard for this reason.

We are looking forward to mixing and will hopefully take everyone as they are regardless of social status as we hope people take us.

Here's to variety, open minds and fun

Hello all,

Its an interesting thread.

We will be new to cruising or crossing and are thoroughly excited. We are not formal dressers normally and god forbid we may even classify as unkempt or the great unwashed!

We are thoroughly looking forward to formal and informal evenings and my Wife specifically wanted Cunard for this reason.

We are looking forward to mixing and will hopefully take everyone as they are regardless of social status as we hope people take us.

Here's to variety, open minds and fun

DadTheBigKid, my bet is that you and your wife will have a wonderful time sailing with Cunard :)

Long live variety, open minds and fun!

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hello all, Its an interesting thread. We will be new to cruising or crossing and are thoroughly excited. We are not formal dressers normally and god forbid we may even classify as unkempt or the great unwashed! We are thoroughly looking forward to formal and informal evenings and my Wife specifically wanted Cunard for this reason. We are looking forward to mixing and will hopefully take everyone as they are regardless of social status as we hope people take us. Here's to variety, open minds and fun
Hi DadTheBigKid,

Please believe me when I say that there opinions and attitudes posted here on CC that I've yet to hear or see, once on board a Cunard vessel (and don't give "social status" another thought, leave that with people who worry about such irrelevant and outmoded things, I doubt you'll meet them on your crossing).

Your last line above shows that you're going with the correct attitude; you'll meet many passengers with the same great outlook of open minds, looking to enjoy themselves, and I'm sure will have a simply superb time on the amazing Queen Mary 2!

All best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

I got off the QM2 in Hong Kong on Monday after 16 nights on board. On the whole men adhered to the dress code and looked great but, in my opinion, on formal nights some of the women's outfits fell far short of what I would call "formal" and looked like clothes I would wear to the local bowls club on a Friday night ( if I had the misfortune to have such dubious taste). Typically you would see a man in a smart tuxedo accompanied by a woman in white or black slacks, flat casual sandals and a cross-over top made of t shirt material. I took one evening gown and several cocktail dresses and It was worth the effort. I agree with other posts, if you don't like dressing up then book with another line. The trip was wonderful and We will definitely be voyaging again with Cunard.

• 2 weeks later...
I got off the QM2 in Hong Kong on Monday after 16 nights on board. On the whole men adhered to the dress code and looked great but, in my opinion, on formal nights some of the women's outfits fell far short of what I would call "formal" and looked like clothes I would wear to the local bowls club on a Friday night ( if I had the misfortune to have such dubious taste). Typically you would see a man in a smart tuxedo accompanied by a woman in white or black slacks, flat casual sandals and a cross-over top made of t shirt material. I took one evening gown and several cocktail dresses and It was worth the effort. I agree with other posts, if you don't like dressing up then book with another line. The trip was wonderful and We will definitely be voyaging again with Cunard.

Hi,

As said earlier we look forward to the evening dress codes and since posting have purchased new clothes for this trip and I think I spent more than I have in the last three years combined :)

My wife has specifically purchased three long dresses and several shorter dresses and skirts and cannot wait. Not sure where we will sit on the demographic chart but are 48 and 54.

I would hope that we can avoid judging each other on "dubious taste" and all have a great time and enjoy the wide variety of people we will meet on this wonderful adventure.

Hi,

As said earlier we look forward to the evening dress codes and since posting have purchased new clothes for this trip and I think I spent more than I have in the last three years combined :)

My wife has specifically purchased three long dresses and several shorter dresses and skirts and cannot wait. Not sure where we will sit on the demographic chart but are 48 and 54.

I would hope that we can avoid judging each other on "dubious taste" and all have a great time and enjoy the wide variety of people we will meet on this wonderful adventure.

It looks like you are prepared to have a wonderful crossing. If you and your wife enjoy ballroom dancing, be sure to bring your dancing shoes. The Queens Room Ballroom on the QM2 is second to none at sea.

Bob

It looks like you are prepared to have a wonderful crossing. If you and your wife enjoy ballroom dancing, be sure to bring your dancing shoes. The Queens Room Ballroom on the QM2 is second to none at sea.

Bob

HI Bob

Yes we are prepared!

We have never done any ballroom dancing and was hoping to have some lessons onboard but I believe the lessons are not for beginners as such?

However I am equipped with many dodgy disco moves :)

There definitely are lessons for beginners - believe me nobody is as much of a novice as I am!

Hi Gill,

Really? we have never put foot on a dance floor other than dodgy disco but want this to be part of our journey.

If we can that would be fantastic...

I assume lessons are casual smart and would flat shoes for women be ok?

Sorry if this is very very basic but that's my current level.:(