Who to cruise with?

repeater

Over the past 15 years, I've cruised with an assorted cast of characters, to include:

-- just DH and me;

-- a family cruise, with our DS, and our in-laws;

-- our BFF's (a couple our age);

-- a couple of friends from work, who were both taking their very first cruise;

-- various "cruising buddies" that we've met onboard, and through CC.

I've never cruised solo, or as part of a huge group -- but could see myself doing that, if the right situation presented itself. And, I've never cruised with anyone whom I outright disliked. Even taking a magic marker to the deck plans, I would find that there's NO ship big enough for that, lol! ;)

But, regardless of who we're cruising with, one hard-and-fast rule has always worked for us -- I call it the "NOT joined at the hip" rule. We all book the same dining time, so we can sit together at dinner, most nights. But, during the day, everyone does his/her own thing. We get together at the end of the day, and share our adventures. Of course, the rule has some exceptions. if we all decide to take a shore excursion together, we do. Often, we'll all find ourselves at the pool, theater, etc. together. No problem if anyone decides to break off from the group and dine elsewhere, for an evening. But, I've found that this approach cuts down on the "milling around" and bickering over who wants to do what. :cool:

I used to hate cruising (or traveling anywhere for that matter) with my ex-husband. He was a bore. My new man however, is fun no matter where we go or what we do, so cruising with him was a blast!

I also love when the group of Me, my parents, sisters, their spouses and kids all cruise together. We always have someone to do things with when others may not be interested. Always meeting up for dinner and doing at least 1 excursion as a group.

I have never done a solo cruise(although the ones with the ex felt like it! lol) but I do not think I would be one to do that. My co-worker goes on 2-3 solo cruises every year and LOVES them. (She is on Azamara Journey as we speak) To each their own!

I have cruised with my parents, sister and nieces, with my DH, with a ton of friends and family for our wedding cruise- and I enjoyed it all! There is so much to do and so many choices that I have never felt like I got stuck doing something the group wanted to do- but I didn't. I believe in the more the merrier when it comes to cruising, but I am perfectly happy to cruise with just one other person as well.

As long as all parties realize that privacy is a key... cruise will be a success! I prefer company of my DH, but if we had our relatives/friends and we met for some short time - dinner, some pool time... this is fine by me.