Westerdam - Rotterdam deck or Upper Veranda deck?

KathiB

We are currently booked on an Alaska cruise on the Westerdam for June. We may have to change our sailing date to a date in August. There are actually more cabins available on the August 13 sailing. We are booking two cabins, a veranda for us parents, and an inside for our grown daughters. We are looking at forward and aft cabins in the VE and VD (veranda) category and the M and L (inside category on the Rotterdam deck, and forward and aft VD and VC (veranda) and L and K (inside) on the Upper Veranda deck.

Are there any pros and cons you can offer on the Rotterdam deck vs. Upper Veranda deck? Any pros and cons for forward vs. aft? I don't think the port or starboard side really matters for Alaska but if you have any opinions go ahead and share. Since we may be starting a new booking I thought I may as well do the research. Thanks!

Let me comment on the inside cabins, not in terms of location, but rather in terms of size. They are tiny.

Since your daughters are grown, they don't need you nearby. If there is an inside on Main Deck, which would be a much larger cabin, they will be a lot more comfortable.

If you want them in more of a straight drop down, choose your cabin based on whether they are fore or aft.

Thank you, Ruth. There actually are some of the larger inside cabins available on the main deck. I will check into whether they would want to be so low. I agree the extra size might be nice. They are 25 and 29 and are very easy going. I don't think a tiny cabin would be a problem as they did this before on a Med. cruise a few years ago. But I have heard that those main deck cabins are huge for inside cabins.

Ideally we would be across the hall from each other as we are looking at a veranda cabin and the idea was for them to take advantage of our balcony whenever they want. If we are up on Rotterdam it won't be as convenient. So thinking convenience rather than needing them near us for any other reason.

Ideally we would be across the hall from each other as we are looking at a veranda cabin and the idea was for them to take advantage of our balcony whenever they want. If we are up on Rotterdam it won't be as convenient. So thinking convenience rather than needing them near us for any other reason.

The elevator ride up is quick! :D You can get them guest keys for your cabin, so they can just get in without you getting up to let them in, or leaving the door unlatched. Not as convenient as being across the hall, but the extra room in their cabin may very well be worth it.

Thanks again. Still hoping to get some responses about the pros and cons of these two decks before we choose our cabins. Also if you have to choose between forward or aft for Alaska, which would you choose?

• 1 month later...

Kathi, I know this is an old thread, but I'm just looking at it now and wondering what you decided for your August Alaska cruise? My two cents would have been that the small balcony you will have won't really be that much of a plus for your daughters - they will probably much prefer to go outside on the promenade deck, the bow, the aft pool area, or any other outdoor area - especially in Alaska where the vistas are so amazing. I always feel hemmed in in those tiny balconies off the room... so I'd agree with Ruth that your girls will want the biggest room. I don't think forward or aft is an issue unless, like me, you like proximity to the spa which is forward. Again, I realize this thread is old so you can waste my two cents on something else if you like :)

Editing this to add, in case you are not familiar, the veranda you'll be getting is tiny - not really room for all four of you to enjoyably sit there, and again, it's hemmed in on both sides by your neighbors' veranda walls... so unless you are getting a suite, the balcony for your family is not going to be a great plus. Why not get two ocean view rooms for the same money as one veranda and one inside... because you'll be going out on deck in Alaska - I promise you - and not spending a lot of time on your own veranda. I'm writing all of this now because maybe it will interest someone else - I realize you all have probably already booked LOL....

Edited by Moriah