Rockies Land Tour followed by Alaska Cruise May 22nd 06 - Luggage allowance on coach

suron

We are taking the Rockies Tour prior to an Alaskan cruise on Dawn Princess next May. Does anyone know what the restrictions are on luggage on the Land Tour - seem to remember reading somewhere that only 1 suitcase per person is allowed. If anyone can clarify the situation I would be very grateful.

Suron in Bristol, England

The rules may change by next year, so don't take this for final word. But IF you are limited, they will take your other bags "directly" to the ship. They may actually travel in a shipping truck behind you, but you won't have access to them on the tour portion. On some of the railroad tours in Alaska, you are limited to just a very small day bag on the train, and your single suitcase is delivered each night at the hotel and collected the next morning. They travel in the Baggage car/bus and you do not have daytime access to them. That may or may not apply to the Rockies tour next year. The actual details should be given to you in your pre-cruise documents next March or so.

Thank you for your response. As you say the Rockies tour may have different rules and regulations. We are just on a coach for this part of the trip so our gut feeling is that it may be only one suitcase each bearing in mind the possible limited space storage-wise in the coach with some thirty passengers on board. No doubt we will get all the information in plenty of time to be ruthless and not take too much luggage!! (Husband reckons this will be a miracle if it happens!!)

Thanks again for your input. ;)

Suron in Bristol, England

Suron, now that I think of it, your biggest limitation will probably be the weight limit from the airlines. I suspect that coming from England puts you on an airplane, and the weight limits and number of bags they allow will be what you have to adhere to. The cruiseline limit--which would only be for the tour portion, if there is one--will be a piece of cake after that.

If the rules do not change for 2006 we should get the same luggage allowance from the UK that friends had and they travelled to Toronto earlier this year. They were allowed two suitcases per person with each case weighing no more than 32kgs, plus hand luggage each at no more than 5kgs.

This allowance would be great for us (most of our cruises have been around the Med, Greek Islands and this year the Baltic) as flying from England to European destinations limits us to 20kgs per person overall! :mad:

However, if we are going to be restricted on the Land Tour section so be it - will have to be very practical and pack basics that can be mixed and matched.

Think I will have to make my TA do some probing in due course!

Thanks for your input to my query.

Kind regards

Suron ;)

Archived