Carnival isn't keeping up

NIATPAC29

I went to the mall the other day. It has a merry go round. I guess the mall is an amusement park? So RCCL has a merry go round, it it now officially an amusement park? Carnival was branded as a family cruise line, but yet other cruise lines are more inviting to families. I guess I don't understand what an amusement park is. Plus, the entertainment on RCCL received a negative comment.

Instead of saying why you don't want all the exciting and innovative things other cruise lines are adding to their ships, explain why those items are not needed for family entertainment?

Those items were never needed for our families entertainment. It is all in what your family is interested in. My kids didn't need or care to do merry go rounds, rock walls, surf boards, ice skating, etc. They did like Disney when they were younger so we did do some Disney cruises with them. They liked the larger basketball/soccer courts and entertainment on NCL. But overall they were happy with what Carnival provided as they grew up. Sometimes we paid more for something else but most of the time that was not needed for our family entertainment....I think there are many other families feel the same way or there wouldn't be so many of them sailing on Carnival.

I'm wondering why Carnival keeps upgrading and refurbing these old ships. Many times things are undone. They have only Built one new ship since the breeze in 2012 and that's the Vista four years later. I think they would be wise to put those millions in profits into new ships. Their competitors sure are. They keep putting lipstick on a pig

Other lines are refurbishing ships too. If you want to compare ship age lets use Royal Caribbean as a comparison. Both Carnival and Royal both currently have 25 ships including their 2016 releases.

Royal:

Sovereign class - 1 ship 1992 (24 years)

Vision Class - 6 ships 1995-1998 (18-21 years)

Carnival:

Fantasy Class - 8 ships 1990-1998 (18-26 years)

So both have 7-8 ships that are 18 years or older or lets just call these the 20 year olds

Moving on ...

Royal:

Voyager Class - 5 ships 1999-2003 (13-17 years)

Radiance Class - 4 ships 2001-2004 (12-15 years)

Carnival:

Triumph Class - 2 ships 1999-2000 (16-17 years)

Spirit Class - 4 ships 2001-2004 (12-15 years)

Conquest Class - 5 ships 2002-2007 (9-14 years)

Royal has 9 and Carnival has 11 ships that are 9-17 years old or lets just call these the 14 year olds

Next Up ...

Royal:

Freedom Class - 3 Ships 2006-2008 (8-10)

Carnival:

Concordia Class - 1 ship 2008 (8 years)

Royal has 3 and Carnival has 1 of what we will call the 8 year olds

Then comes the penultimate ...

Royal:

Oasis Class - 2 ships 2009-2010 (6-7 years)

Carnival:

Dream Class - 3 ship 2009-2012 (4-7 years)

Royal has 2 and Carnival has 3 of what we will call the 5 year olds

Which brings us to the very newest ships:

Royal:

Quantum Class - 2 ships built between 2014-2015 (1-2 years)

Coming soon - 1 Oasis Class ship and 1 Quantum Class ship (2016)

Carnival:

Destiny Class - 1 ship 2013 (3 years)

Coming soon - 1 Vista Class (2016)

Royal has 4 ships and Carnival has 2 that are 3 years old or less. More specifically Royal has 2 and Carnival has 1 brand new ship coming in 2016.

Both Royal and Carnival's next new build come in 2018 (1 a piece)

So the fleets are very similar in age across the board.

Edited by NightOne

As long as the vast majority of Carnival fans keep stating "we don't care" about most everything Carnival does to improve their bottom line there will be no new ships and only enough refurbishment to meet gov. regs.

I'm not saying "I don't care" about the recent changes on Carnival - I'm saying I like them!

American Table = good

Playlist productions = good

Choice of service in cabin = good

Sea Day Brunch = good

Dive In Movies = good

Adding Guys and Blue Iguana and Red Frog Pub = good

Cheers program = good

I can't think of any new thing that I'm not happy with :D

I'm not saying "I don't care" about the recent changes on Carnival - I'm saying I like them!

American Table = good

Sea Day Brunch = good

Dive In Movies = good

Cheers program = good

Agreed!

I don't see anyone that said they don't care about the changes in this thread, so I don't know where that poster is coming from. If anything, there's a lack of care for what other lines are doing - specifically to the degree of falsely insulting Carnival as not being able to "keep up." Again, every line sets their own pace and does things that are unique to them.

I think we will be seeing the older ships staying around a while longer. It's not a seller's market right now. Even RCI has decided to keep Majesty after initially trying to move it out of the fleet, and they're even bringing Empress back into the fleet after taking it back from Pullmantur.

Havana can't handle the larger ships, so some of the smaller, older ships may be just the ticket when they start sailing to Cuba.

Erm Carnival Destiny 1995, 21 years old. 3 years old, good one. That was a bit too rose-tinted.

Being that it was basically totally gutted over a period of months at a cost of $150 million plus and renamed it was essentially a new ship in 2013.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/11/17/carnival-sunshine-naming-new-orleans/3620487/

But take that ship out of the equation and nothing really changes in the original comparison. :)

Erm Carnival Destiny 1995, 21 years old. 3 years old, good one. That was a bit too rose-tinted.

The Destiny will always be the Destiny from 1995 no matter what name they put on her. It is still the original hull

I spent a special Bday on her when she sailed from PR so I wil always have a soft spot for her

BUT Even RCCL when lengthening the Enchantment didnt change names:rolleyes:

Even RCI has decided to keep Majesty after initially trying to move it out of the fleet, and they're even bringing Empress back into the fleet after taking it back from Pullmantur.

Havana can't handle the larger ships, so some of the smaller, older ships may be just the ticket when they start sailing to Cuba.

I think Majesty staying is she has a loyal following and makes money

But the Empress was because of Cuba

http://www.travelpress.com/empress-of-the-seas-ready-for-cuba/#.VvCUoNL2bIU

Other lines are refurbishing ships too. If you want to compare ship age lets use Royal Caribbean as a comparison. Both Carnival and Royal both currently have 25 ships including their 2016 releases.

Royal:

Carnival:

So both have 7-8 ships that are 18 years or older or lets just call these the 20 year olds

Moving on ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal has 9 and Carnival has 11 ships that are 9-17 years old or lets just call these the 14 year olds

Next Up ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal has 4 ships and Carnival has 2 that are 3 years old or less. More specifically Royal has 2 and Carnival has 1 brand new ship coming in 2016.

I think the biggest difference is not so much the age or quantity but more of the different classes. If you go through you list Rccl has 6 distinctly different classes of ships (Oldies we'll just count as 1- Majesty/Sovereign Empress) Vision, Radiance, Voyager/Freedom, Oasis and Quantum where Carnival has 3? Fantasy, Spirit and Destiny/Conquest/Dream/Vista all the same ship but modified a tad? Carnival obviously has a great product to fill all those ships but I see the OP's point. Are they afraid of a new design? I know the adage, if it aint broke don't fix it but sometimes change is good. Again I've said it before I'm not here to bash Carnival since I've never sailed them but I think a new class of ship would be nice for their customers.

And for all those Oasis bashers out there, I wonder how many people on an Oasis class ship parked next to Carnival ship say, "Damn, I really want to try one of those ships" Hmmmmm :confused:

This is just a symptom of the disposable society we've become. Ads tell people they need to upgrade their phones every single year; new tech comes out, throw out the old and buy new. Don't bother with leftovers - go out for another meal. Don't wear last year's jacket, shoes, purse, blouse, etc. You absolutely must have new! Just go ahead and buy what you want, when you want it!

There's nothing wrong with refurbishing what's still good at it's core.

Of course, this comes from someone with a 4 year old phone, a 5 year old kindle, a home computer that still runs Vista, and I've had the same winter coat for the past 10 years (I replaced the zipper a couple of years ago though).

Must be a Canadian thing, eh?? I am like you...don't need the newest phone, computer, etc.

I prefer the smaller older ships than these ridiculously large mega ships. That many people in a confined space does not appeal to me at all. Also, if I want to ride rides or partake in a circus show... i'll go to an amusement park.

The Vista looks nice, but I have no desire to sail on it anytime soon.

Totally agree!!

Royal:

Carnival:

Moving on ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Next Up ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

Well done! Thanks for showing us the facts

Edited by kybluecruiser

Royal:

Carnival:

Moving on ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Next Up ...

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

Royal:

Carnival:

I really enjoyed your breakdown

American Table = good

Sea Day Brunch = good

Dive In Movies = good

Cheers program = good

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think the biggest difference is not so much the age or quantity but more of the different classes. If you go through you list Rccl has 6 distinctly different classes of ships (Oldies we'll just count as 1- Majesty/Sovereign Empress) Vision, Radiance, Voyager/Freedom, Oasis and Quantum where Carnival has 3? Fantasy, Spirit and Destiny/Conquest/Dream/Vista all the same ship but modified a tad? Carnival obviously has a great product to fill all those ships but I see the OP's point. Are they afraid of a new design? I know the adage, if it aint broke don't fix it but sometimes change is good. Again I've said it before I'm not here to bash Carnival since I've never sailed them but I think a new class of ship would be nice for their customers.

And for all those Oasis bashers out there, I wonder how many people on an Oasis class ship parked next to Carnival ship say, "Damn, I really want to try one of those ships" Hmmmmm :confused:

You got a point. When I was on oasis, some were inquiring about oasis of the seas. However carnival has a good brand that is filling thier ships.

Heck, I'd be happy if they brought back the Holiday class!!! We enjoyed the heck out of those cruises. Now Fantasy ships are the best class for our cruise wants.

There is a Holiday class ship sailing out of West Palm Beach. Grand Celebration (Bahamas Paradise Cruiseline)

You got a point. When I was on oasis, some were inquiring about oasis of the seas. However carnival has a good brand that is filling thier ships.

Ya, Carnival obviously has a great product, can't fill 25 ships every week if they didn't. And they have a good loyal following which stems from a good product. If their customers are happy with what they are given, then their business plan is the right one. Just like RCCL and NCL business plans, new and innovative cost money, which is passed on to the customers but again if they fill their ships they are all doing what they set out to do, who are we to criticize any of them. :cool: