Real truth re: AT&T cell cruise packages

These are the cruise lines covered by WMS:

http://www.wmsatsea.com/shipsinservice.html

Interesting that AT&T's cruise ship package does not cover all the ships on the service.

Yeah, that's why I figure they have a separate roaming agreement with each cruise line rather than with WMS. For lines not covered by the cruise ship package, ATT customers just pay "per use" rates which are generally $2.50/minute for calls, $0.50 for texts and data runs around $10/mb.

I'll try and clear up the cell phone thing:

Cellular at Sea is not a Royal Caribbean thing. It's a private company most of the cruise lines use. I saw them on my last Carnival and Princess cruises. They are the ones who charge $0.50 per text and $2.50 per minute for voice when you are at sea away from a port.

AT&T has a Mexico cell deal with unlimited call and text as well as 1GB of data. Info is here.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/mexico-roaming-bonus.html

In addition, AT&T has a deal with the Royal Caribbean family of cruise lines (Celebrity, etc) where you can buy a package for $30, $60 or $120. You need to decide if you will be calling that much. Information is here.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/att-cruise-ship-packages-flyer-with-ic-number.pdf

Also, AT&T has a passport package for all other countries with discounted packages. Info is here

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

In short, you should decide how much you will/anticipate calling and texting so to see which is best. The Mexico deal is a no-brainer as it's free. The others becomes a numbers game. For example, with the ATT&T cruise ship $30 package, you get 50 minutes. That's much cheaper than 50 minutes at $2.50/minute.

I just checked out the ATT plan, it's not a good deal just for texts. For $60 you get 100 texts, which a la carte are 50 cents each, so it's only $50 of texts for $60.

Now if you use the talk minutes it becomes a good deal, talk is very expensive. But just for texts it's not worth it.

I just checked out the ATT plan, it's not a good deal just for texts. For $60 you get 100 texts, which a la carte are 50 cents each, so it's only $50 of texts for $60.

Now if you use the talk minutes it becomes a good deal, talk is very expensive. But just for texts it's not worth it.

Since you get the 50 minutes of talk, you should really think of it as $30 additional for 100 texts but you are right, if you are getting the plan just to text, not a good deal.

OK sooooo...

I'm a regular cruiser, but I'm TOTALLY confused now. Although I never call people on vacay, I may need to one day. I have AT&T wireless service WITH unlimited data, texts, and calls. Does that help me avoid the fees at sea, or not? Or does my land wireless package have nothing whatsoever to do with service at sea? Help me understand, please! :eek:

OK sooooo...

I'm a regular cruiser, but I'm TOTALLY confused now. Although I never call people on vacay, I may need to one day. I have AT&T wireless service WITH unlimited data, texts, and calls. Does that help me avoid the fees at sea, or not? Or does my land wireless package have nothing whatsoever to do with service at sea? Help me understand, please! :eek:

No, your unlimited package will not help while at sea. You will pay for texts, calls, and data. Big fees for data at sea.

INITIIAL POSTER is running screaming out of the room !!!

Ask a simple question, get many complicated answers :)

But at least your question was answered - get the $60 ATT Cruise ship package for calls and texts and use the ship's internet for anything else.

Despite what is happening on the home front, try to enjoy your cruise!

As a 7 year AT&T employee I love this topic!

All the information has pretty much been provided, but just had a thought for you. If you have an iPhone you could buy the onboard internet ($20/Day before C&A discounts) and just iMessage all weekend. If you have an android there are plenty of other apps, group me, whats app, ect. Then you could just call if an emergency comes up?

I'm on the same sailing as you and don't mind if you want to meet up for phone calls in Mexico on my phone to check-in. I have unlimited calls/data in Mexico, since AT&T owns 2 of the 3 carriers there now.

See you on board! :D

Ps. Be sure to look for my live Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas blog starting Saturday!

I juggled all these packages and finally gave up.

If I need to get calls I answer them or make them using the Cellular at Sea; otherwise you get ignored until I get back.

I don't take my phone ashore unless a US port so no worry there. I turn it off and leave in the cabin. I always turn of data roaming when I travel outside the country no mater port stops.

We had the ATT mexico plan two years ago and it worked fine, except as I noted in the earlier post we never got any voice mails until we landed back at LAX and then they all started coming through.

Recently I just try to use my IPad, which isn't 4G only WiFi, to text, EMail, or FaceTime. It seems to keep me in touch as much as I want to be.

I juggled all these packages and finally gave up.

If I need to get calls I answer them or make them using the Cellular at Sea; otherwise you get ignored until I get back.

I don't take my phone ashore unless a US port so no worry there. I turn it off and leave in the cabin. I always turn of data roaming when I travel outside the country no mater port stops.

We had the ATT mexico plan two years ago and it worked fine, except as I noted in the earlier post we never got any voice mails until we landed back at LAX and then they all started coming through.

Recently I just try to use my IPad, which isn't 4G only WiFi, to text, EMail, or FaceTime. It seems to keep me in touch as much as I want to be.

I always take a phone on shore, in case I need to contact the port agent for any reason, like the ship left without me!

I know we can use our AT&T cell phones in St Thomas, no charge. Can we in San Juan? I would presume we could for the same reason.

Yes, AT&T treats Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands the same as the mainland US.

Interesting, ATT must be monitoring this thread as I just got this text a few hours ago. Granted it only applies to Mexico.

AT&T Free Msg: You're a great customer so we've added our Mexico Roaming Bonus pkg to this line at no add'l cost. You now have 1GB of data to use in Mexico plus unlimited talk & text in Mexico and from Mexico to the US. ($20/GB after 1GB and calls from Mexico to other countries are billed at int'l long distance pay-per-use rates). Visit att.com/mexicobonus for full details.

Interesting, ATT must be monitoring this thread as I just got this text a few hours ago. Granted it only applies to Mexico.

AT&T Free Msg: You're a great customer so we've added our Mexico Roaming Bonus pkg to this line at no add'l cost. You now have 1GB of data to use in Mexico plus unlimited talk & text in Mexico and from Mexico to the US. ($20/GB after 1GB and calls from Mexico to other countries are billed at int'l long distance pay-per-use rates). Visit att.com/mexicobonus for full details.

Eerie.