Real truth re: AT&T cell cruise packages

Hi all. Heading back to Cozumel via Brilliance of the seas on March 31. While I'm anxiously awaiting this cruise I have been informed that my ailing Dad had flipped to Hospice care.

I want to be able to remain available to my family...sigh just in case...

Been looking at different "cruise plans " and the one that seems to fit my needs is the "gold plan"

Historically I'm a "no cell phone" kinda gal while on a cruise, but I'm sure Ya'll agree this is different.

I've read thru all the AT&T information and I understand all except. ROAMING er um International Roaming charges no charges ????

At present I understand the gold plan to be $150. Fine by me however should I expect additional charges , and if so ballpark hi /low dollars

HELP!

Looking for any guidance with experienced AT&T cell users to advise me.

Thanks in advance

Majarosh aka Sherry in Tampa

I use the AT&T cruise when we cruise...They should explain everything to you when you sign up for it as to have no additional charges. You'll just make sure to have cellular roaming/data turned off. My family and I text back-n-forth easily even while at sea.

I don't really understand your question? I've used the AT&T Cellular at Sea on all my cruises. I use the $60 plan that includes voice and text, that's the total I've paid with no extra roaming charges, it works in most Caribbean ports and on the ship also. You need to call AT&T to set it up. Here is a little info.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/att-cruise-ship-packages-flyer-with-ic-number.pdf

Edited by Texasopa

I get the top package every time I cruise (voice, text, and data) and it costs me $120. Unless it has gone up in the last few weeks, that should be the price.

You need to be careful when calling in and ordering it. The last time I did it in early March, the sales rep tried to convince me I was getting a regular international plan. It is not. It is the special cruise ship plan. She added the wrong one anyway, but they quickly fixed it upon my return. If they are talking to you about the "passport" or the "gold" level, they don't know what they are talking about. If they tell you "you know, you could have added this online" - they don't know what they are talking about.

Go here:

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

Anyway, when in Canada, the Bahamas or the Caribbean it also works while you are in port and on the local carrier. Many sales reps are also confused about this. I assure you it is. Done it many many times now.

And if you do go over on data, the extra data rates are actually quite reasonable compared to regular international roaming.

I'm not sure what someone meant by not having cellular and data roaming on - that's how it works internationally. You are using a cellular signal on both the ship and in ports, and it has to be roaming because you are outside the US. I always turn it on. Never have extra charges.

I turn it off when I'm not using my phone so I am not using the included data until I want to.

Edited by MattInFLL

Just to clarify - if you only order voice and text (which is $60 as pointed out) then, yes, turn off data roaming, as you are not purchasing it. :)

Sorry you misunderstood my post as that's what I was referring to and what we use...So we turn data/roaming Off.

That $60.00 package works for our needs.

Edited by Ashland

I've never heard of that package; that's great! Does it work on Med cruises, too?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, but it won't work in the ports. Unlike the Caribbean it only works on the ship while "Cellular at Sea" shows as the network on your phone. Since the Med is so port intensive (usually) I would suggest looking into one of their land based international plans and seeing if that will work better for you.

Thanks Ash and Mattin...mush brains...smack on the forehead....why can't I purchase the Internet plan on the ship and use Internet onboard at the Internet cafe...

You can...I use my (our) comp (C&A) internet onboard regardless of how slow it is for certain things....and my AT&T cruise package for easy quick texts to my adult kids...works for me.

Yup, that's a ditto. You can buy voice and text and use internet on ship for data. I just usually want it in the ports and find it faster speed than ship internet (unless you are on a VOOM internet ship), so I buy all 3 and stick to that.

I don't really understand your question? I've used the AT&T Cellular at Sea on all my cruises. I use the $60 plan that includes voice and text, that's the total I've paid with no extra roaming charges, it works in most Caribbean ports and on the ship also. You need to call AT&T to set it up. Here is a little info.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/att-cruise-ship-packages-flyer-with-ic-number.pdf

Cellular at Sea is not ATT. It is Royal's cellular system.

Hi all. Heading back to Cozumel via Brilliance of the seas on March 31. While I'm anxiously awaiting this cruise I have been informed that my ailing Dad had flipped to Hospice care.

I want to be able to remain available to my family...sigh just in case...

Been looking at different "cruise plans " and the one that seems to fit my needs is the "gold plan"

Historically I'm a "no cell phone" kinda gal while on a cruise, but I'm sure Ya'll agree this is different.

I've read thru all the AT&T information and I understand all except. ROAMING er um International Roaming charges no charges ????

At present I understand the gold plan to be $150. Fine by me however should I expect additional charges , and if so ballpark hi /low dollars

HELP!

Looking for any guidance with experienced AT&T cell users to advise me.

Thanks in advance

Majarosh aka Sherry in Tampa

There is no $150 plan. Also, the only plan labeled "gold" (Passport Gold) does not work on cruise ships. If you need a plan to cover while at sea, there are 3 different cruise ship packages. If you don't need data, the $60 cruise ship package is probably your best bet. It includes 50 minutes of talk and 100 texts. You then pay $1/min for any calls beyond those 50 minutes.

There is no $150 plan. Also, the only plan labeled "gold" (Passport Gold) does not work on cruise ships. If you need a plan to cover while at sea, there are 3 different cruise ship packages. If you don't need data, the $60 cruise ship package is probably your best bet. It includes 50 minutes of talk and 100 texts. You then pay $1/min for any calls beyond those 50 minutes.

The AT&T "Passport" offer is an International land package plan I've used also...correct on land only not at sea.

AT&T has a one month unlimited talk and text plan in Mexico. You also get 1GB of data. It's free for one month. You activate it for each phone line on your AT&T online account. We did that for our Mexican Rivera cruise in February. We had unlimited talk and text while in the 3 ports of call.

On the ship, it's $2.50/min for calls and $0.50/text. We just turn mobile data off on the phone and let the family know only to call on a sea day if it's an emergency. Otherwise they can wait until we're in port to call or text.

It worked great!

Edited by tonyweir

AT&T has a one month unlimited talk and text plan in Mexico. You also get 1GB of data. It's free for one month. You activate it for each phone line on your AT&T online account. We did that for our Mexican Rivera cruise in February. We had unlimited talk and text while in the 3 ports of call.

On the ship, it's $2.50/min for calls and $0.50/text. We just turn mobile data off on the phone and let the family know only to call on a sea day if it's an emergency. Otherwise they can wait until we're in port to call or text.

It worked great!

The Mexican roaming bonus is not a one month plan. Once you add it to your line, it is good for anytime you go to Mexico.

I feel your pain, my brother and I were in the same boat (no pun intended) last March when we cruised the Oasis.

We decided one of us (me) would be the POC. While we had used ATT plans in the past for Med, Caribbean and Sweden trips we decided not to buy any this time.

Main reason was the upgraded WiFi, which worked great. We were able to have cellular at sea while sailing and WiFi all the time. We were able to email, text and FaceTime via WiFi. I don't know if we ever used cellular at sea. I was always careful to turnoff cellular when in non-ATT ports.

However I will warn you that on all our trips, even with a plan, many times voicemail messages did not come through until after we got back to US and did a reset. I am not sure why this happened. But warn family if they leave a voicemail you might not get it.

Bottom line is if you have to get "that call" the cost is immaterial. We did but it was the dog and not mom.

Cellular at Sea is not ATT. It is Royal's cellular system.

So where did you find this info?? It's called AT&T Cellular at Sea, you can only get if from AT&T directly, and CANNOT buy it from Royal Caribbean.

So I assumed it is a plan AT&T made available only to Royal Caribbean.

So where did you find this info?? It's called AT&T Cellular at Sea, you can only get if from AT&T directly, and CANNOT buy it from Royal Caribbean.

I believe the company that provides the "cell tower" at sea is called Wireless Maritime Services. It shows up as Cellular at Sea on our phone. It appears to have some sort of partnership with AT&T and another company, but will handle other carriers, such as Verizon and Sprint.

The plan you referenced, you are correct, is only available from ATT. The plan works on many different cruise lines and cruise ships, one of them being RCI. The name of the plan is not "ATT Cellular at Sea", it is just ATT's cruise ship package. "Cellular at Sea" is the name of Royal's cellular service. ATT and every other US carrier has a roaming agreement with Royal, that is why ATT can sell such a plan.

I believe the company that provides the "cell tower" at sea is called Wireless Maritime Services. It shows up as Cellular at Sea on our phone. It appears to have some sort of partnership with AT&T and another company, but will handle other carriers, such as Verizon and Sprint.

I don't know if ATT has a partnership with them or not but Wireless Maritime Services seems to be the "Cellular at Sea" cell service provider for a number of cruise lines including Carnival and ATT's cruise ship package does not cover Carnival. ATT's cruise ship package works with the following:

Azamara Club Cruises®

Celebrity Cruises®

Crystal ® Cruises

Disney Cruise Line

Oceania Cruises®

Pullmantur Cruceros

Regent Seven Seas Cruises®

Royal Caribbean International®

Select Silversea® ships

SkySea Cruise Line

I don't know if ATT has a partnership with them or not but Wireless Maritime Services seems to be the "Cellular at Sea" cell service provider for a number of cruise lines including Carnival and ATT's cruise ship package does not cover Carnival. ATT's cruise ship package works with the following:

Azamara Club Cruises®

Celebrity Cruises®

Crystal ® Cruises

Disney Cruise Line

Oceania Cruises®

Pullmantur Cruceros

Regent Seven Seas Cruises®

Royal Caribbean International®

Select Silversea® ships

SkySea Cruise Line

These are the cruise lines covered by WMS:

http://www.wmsatsea.com/shipsinservice.html

Interesting that AT&T's cruise ship package does not cover all the ships on the service.