Cemetery Beach Experience

emeraldcity

Can anyone give their experience at Cemetery Beach? Trip Advisor rates it highly as a great snorkeling experience. I'm guessing that since there are no facilities there you would have to bring your own equipment. Would like to know if there are any tour compaies that include this as an offering.

I was there on our recent Reflection cruise. My husband was tired and opted to stay on the ship as we had been there many times before. Grand Cayman is safe enough I had no qualms about taking the local bus alone ($2.50) to Cemetery Beach. It took about 12 minutes to get there.

As expected there were no facilities, no vendors, no chairs but there are some great big trees for shade. There were a few picnic tables.

The water was extremely clear and once out far enough from the beach there was some good coral and a few fish I'd never seen. Not the greatest snorkeling but not bad.

Being alone I ending up chatting with (and hanging out with) some folks that were staying on the island for a week. I did not see any other cruisers there (well you can't always tell but usually the towels are a give away). I don't take a cruise towel and prefer a beach sheet I bring along. I had my own snorkel gear including vest (that I don't inflate but being alone I feel could be useful).

On the return, I stopped at Treasure Cove and went to Billy Bones Bar. I had a good cold Caybrew while sitting at the pool bar and enjoying the free wi-fi.

I thoroughly enjoyed my day at Cemetery Beach.

DH and I enjoyed going to Cemetery Beach. The snorkeling was good, and a bit offshore which is important if you aren't a strong swimmer. There was no real current ir undertow. We took a taxi over and the bus back. We would have no problem taking the bus each way next time.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this several years ago. We grabbed public transportation and was dropped off at the cemetery. You walk down a path beside the cemetery to the beach. I doubt if there were 20 people there. Nice, secluded spot. When we were ready to leave we walked out to the road and waved at the first public van that came by. They stopped and took us back to port. I think that it was $5 or $6.

The best snorkeling is a long distance from shore and I don't think it is as good as Eden Rock, but it is more private.