FTTF and Dining Times

opensaysme

It doesn't matter. FTTF only gives you priority as far as preference of traditional dining or ATD if there is a waitlist for your first choice. In that case you will be put on the waitlist after Diamond/Platinum. Then if they reopen the dining bookings, you have a better chance of getting it vs someone who is not D/P/FTTF.

It has nothing to do with being seated for ATD.

It doesn't matter. FTTF only gives you priority as far as preference of traditional dining or ATD if there is a waitlist for your first choice. In that case you will be put on the waitlist after Diamond/Platinum. Then if they reopen the dining bookings, you have a better chance of getting it vs someone who is not D/P/FTTF.

It has nothing to do with being seated for ATD.

I guess I am not quite understanding how the dining process works. Would you mind elaborating on how it works for ATD? You show up at MDR, and then what?

The FTTF only has something to do if your preferred dining is waitlisted when you book. It doesn't give you faster seating for ATD. Does that make sense?

Yes it does! I really appreciate the clarifications! Is there any particular time that may be best to show up for dinner with ATD? I am concerned with having to spend too much time waiting to eat.

You show at any time during the specified hours and they seat you.

If only it actually worked like this. On most ships I've been on recently, I've rarely gotten seated immediately unless I arrive at the beginning or end of the ATD timeframe. This completely defeats the purpose of ATD for me; if I wanted to eat that early or late, I would have booked traditional dining times. If you arrive between approximately 6:45 and 8:15, or when a show has just let out from the main theater, expect to wait in line to get a pager, then wait another 10-45 minutes for a table--on higher end of that range on formal night(s), on the lower end on long or late port days.

Carnival shouldn't call it ATD (Any Time Dining) or YTD (Your Time Dining) [they can't even use a consistent name internally] but rather WWGTYD (Whenever We Get To You Dining).

Yes it does! I really appreciate the clarifications! Is there any particular time that may be best to show up for dinner with ATD? I am concerned with having to spend too much time waiting to eat.

Really depends on the passengers onboard. Most cruises we go to the ATD MDR around 7:30. We sailed on the Miracle in October, Horrible waits for ATD. November wasn't so bad. January barely any wait at all.

Sometimes it pays to be flexible. There could be a long wait for 2 tops but there could be shared tables available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If only it actually worked like this. On most ships I've been on recently, I've rarely gotten seated immediately unless I arrive at the beginning or end of the ATD timeframe. This completely defeats the purpose of ATD for me; if I wanted to eat that early or late, I would have booked traditional dining times. If you arrive between approximately 6:45 and 8:15, or when a show has just let out from the main theater, expect to wait in line to get a pager, then wait another 10-45 minutes for a table--on higher end of that range on formal night(s), on the lower end on long or late port days.

Carnival shouldn't call it ATD (Any Time Dining) or YTD (Your Time Dining) [they can't even use a consistent name internally] but rather WWGTYD (Whenever We Get To You Dining).

Lol. This is what I am trying to figure out. I'm getting the feeling that choosing a set time might be the better choice.

Really depends on the passengers onboard. Most cruises we go to the ATD MDR around 7:30. We sailed on the Miracle in October, Horrible waits for ATD. November wasn't so bad. January barely any wait at all.

Sometimes it pays to be flexible. There could be a long wait for 2 tops but there could be shared tables available.

So 7:30 seems to be the better time? We will be requesting a 4-top as of now, maybe more, at the end of August. I noticed the cove balconies are no longer available for my cruise and its out of NOLA. I would much rather prefer ATD but I don't want it to be a hassle. I was hoping for a chance that FTTP would help with expedition. :cool:

It will just help you get your preference dining option. If you do anytime dining it just depends on when you get there for dinner. Just like going to a local restaurant that doesn't take reservations. Was on the Glory 4 times this year and that's how they do it as do all Carnival ships. Hope that helps.

Diamonddaddy Glory expert

So 7:30 seems to be the better time? We will be requesting a 4-top as of now, maybe more, at the end of August. I noticed the cove balconies are no longer available for my cruise and its out of NOLA. I would much rather prefer ATD but I don't want it to be a hassle. I was hoping for a chance that FTTP would help with expedition. :cool:

As I said, just depends on the mix of pax on your particular cruise.

FTTF, Platinum, Diamond help with your Dining Assignment. At dinner time the ATD MDR is first come, first served regardless of status.

It will just help you get your preference dining option. If you do anytime dining it just depends on when you get there for dinner. Just like going to a local restaurant that doesn't take reservations. Was on the Glory 4 times this year and that's how they do it as do all Carnival ships. Hope that helps.

Diamonddaddy Glory expert

Yeah it does! Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!

We have done ATD on our last 2 cruises and never waited longer than 15 minutes for a table. We typically arrive to dine between 6:30 and 7:30.

Really! So it's just a gamble I guess. Seems to be kinda hard to say one way or another for certain. Well, I am glad that you had a great experience with ATD!

My family and I will be accompanied by a couple who is, out of my family, a friend of mine of whom will be having a family get-together cruise. Although we did book the trip on account of her invite I know we wont be planning all our events (on the ship or off the ship) together considering. I do want to be available in case we do all decide to dine together, however. It'll be my husband, sister, brother-in-law, and me dining together every night for sure.

My other concern is, perhaps if we had a set time dining option chosen would we have to miss out on an event we really want to attend of which might be scheduled at the same time.

It's tough. I am doing all the planning and I just want to make the best decision for us. I really appreciate your input!

As I said, just depends on the mix of pax on your particular cruise.

FTTF, Platinum, Diamond help with your Dining Assignment. At dinner time the ATD MDR is first come, first served regardless of status.

I see...... How do they do dining assignments?

I see...... How do they do dining assignments?

When you book you choose which dining you want. Early, Late, or Anytime. In each they set aside a certain number for Diamond guests (and maybe others as well. I don't know their exact formula) right off the bat. That leaves "x" amount of space for everyone else.

The earlier you book the better chance you have of getting your first choice. Should one option fill up, you pick another one and can be wait listed for your preferred time. As it gets closer to sailing, if there aren't as many Diamond members as slots they reserved, then they start taking guests from the waitlist and assigning them to that seating starting with Platinum and then FTTF followed by everyone else.

It sounds like ATD would work best for you being you want flexibility. I would go ahead and pick that one now since it seems to fill up quickly.

Edited by firemanbobswife

When you book you choose which dining you want. Early, Late, or Anytime. In each they set aside a certain number for Diamond guests (and maybe others as well. I don't know their exact formula) right off the bat. That leaves "x" amount of space for everyone else.

The earlier you book the better chance you have of getting your first choice. Should one option fill up, you pick another one and can be wait listed for your preferred time. As it gets closer to sailing, if there aren't as many Diamond members as slots they reserved, then they start taking guests from the waitlist and assigning them to that seating starting with Platinum and then FTTF followed by everyone else.

It sounds like ATD would work best for you being you want flexibility. I would go ahead and pick that one now since it seems to fill up quickly.

Got it! Now the whole "wait listed" thing is starting to make sense.. I selected the ATD option. Thank you so much for that explanation! Very much appreciated!