P&O standards

jetset763

What's up with P&O?

Not sure if it just the Britannia (that we are currently on in the Azores) but the service and food is complete rubbish! The entertainment and decor of the ship are fantastic but everything else is just horrible. The passengers are a really good bunch too so it's a shame the ship has so many downfalls.

We do not have ridiculous high standards but the food is borderline inedible. Wetherspoons produce better meals than the main dining rooms. The food is cold, unimaginative and just bad quality. Seafood and meat is of the lowest quality compared to other ships we have sailed on (RCCI and DCL) Even then presentation is poor.

Choice in the buffet is laughable compared to other liners. The food is stone cold and never labelled so you don't know what you are getting. Frozen chips and green beans are served with everything. The pastries in the morning are the same hard, tasteless 4 every single day. The funny thing is we keep hearing people saying that it's amazing. We keep questioning ourselves! But we know it is nowhere near as good as other companies. Zombies roam around the buffet, bumping into you, taking forever to get a handful of chips or scoop of greasy cauliflower cheese so 9/10 times your food is stone cold!

Service is just as bad, it's nigh on impossible to hold a conversation with a crew member. They just do their job - nothing more, there is very little interaction which is a shame. Service with a smile would be nice!

They try to sell you something at every corner - the food is so bad you need to eat in a select dining restaurant! It's push push push for sales of everything - from watered down cocktails to the spa constantly. Everything has an extra cost. You are never left alone, last night we were asked if we wanted another drink 8 times within the space of one song! How many times can and should you say no!?

Looking forward to getting home, to fresh good quality food.

Call me a moaner but I expected more! This cruise was more expensive that previous RCCI cruises so why isn't it just as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jetset763

What's up with P&O?

Not sure if it just the Britannia (that we are currently on in the Azores) but the service and food is complete rubbish! The entertainment and decor of the ship are fantastic but everything else is just horrible. The passengers are a really good bunch too so it's a shame the ship has so many downfalls.

We do not have ridiculous high standards but the food is borderline inedible. Wetherspoons produce better meals than the main dining rooms. The food is cold, unimaginative and just bad quality. Seafood and meat is of the lowest quality compared to other ships we have sailed on (RCCI and DCL) Even then presentation is poor.

Choice in the buffet is laughable compared to other liners. The food is stone cold and never labelled so you don't know what you are getting. Frozen chips and green beans are served with everything. The pastries in the morning are the same hard, tasteless 4 every single day. The funny thing is we keep hearing people saying that it's amazing. We keep questioning ourselves! But we know it is nowhere near as good as other companies. Zombies roam around the buffet, bumping into you, taking forever to get a handful of chips or scoop of greasy cauliflower cheese so 9/10 times your food is stone cold!

Service is just as bad, it's nigh on impossible to hold a conversation with a crew member. They just do their job - nothing more, there is very little interaction which is a shame. Service with a smile would be nice!

They try to sell you something at every corner - the food is so bad you need to eat in a select dining restaurant! It's push push push for sales of everything - from watered down cocktails to the spa constantly. Everything has an extra cost. You are never left alone, last night we were asked if we wanted another drink 8 times within the space of one song! How many times can and should you say no!?

Looking forward to getting home, to fresh good quality food.

Call me a moaner but I expected more! This cruise was more expensive that previous RCCI cruises so why isn't it just as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hope you've got a hard hat on

We have just returned from Oriana & if it had been our 1st cruise we would not have cruised again! We were on a northern lights cruise & the destination was amazing but the cruise itself was as dull as dishwater. It caters entirely for the older generation so if you are under 60 theres nothing on it to keep you amused. Just like you we could hear people saying what a great cruise it had been! The food choice was poor and average quality, people hogged seats in buffet, theatre & bars, and the most exciting thing to do was bingo! Weve sailed on RCI previously & were never bored or had a single issue onboard, P&O really need to up their game.

Edited by lostboys

Oh dear!!! We go in June. Looks like our OBC might be spent on the speciality restaurants. Did u complain about the food. One thing I have learnt cruising with our American friends is that if it is not right send it back and complain.

Well most people like the food. Or did on our last 4 cruises and on here and in other forums this has been commented on.

The problem here is the OP being used to American lines. The food is different. Not necessarily better. These comments have come from people on here who do go on other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wanted to think a while before replying.

Ref the food did you bring it to management attention. If you had I think things may have changed. If you accepted it, ate it , then came on here to moan about it, that is not fair on pando is it. Did you give them a chance to resolve things on board.

One meal on our last cruise my OH was not happy with. Could they bring him another one. Would he like another choice. Following night MD was round checking it was all OK.

Can you see the difference. We let them know at the time.

Ref having to q behind slow old people in the buffet, we have all had to do that at some time. Equally you will be slow and old yourself some time. Hopefully nobody moans about you.

I think when pando made booking late the best option price wise they may have helped the race to the bottom. If you are working down to a price, and not up to it, of course some things will slip.

I read somewhere recently that Fred had reported their bookings for 2017 were better than expected already. People had decided with them it was better to book early, not wait for prices to drop.

Now they only have small ships, but they must be doing something right to be in that situation. Maybe pando have too many beds to fill.

Have to say we have never ever ever felt we were being nickel and dimed on pando.

If we were asked if we wanted a drink and we said no thank you, that. Was it, we were left along. They usually put a mat on the tables to let other waiters know we did not require anything.

Never had a surly waiter anywhere either. I don't go down the potted life history path, but smile and am polite with them.

Maybe we are just very lucky.

Edited by the english lady

I don't agree with your comments about the quality of the food, although there is certainly a limited choice in the buffet, but unfortunately your comments on the attitude of the crew members mirror what I experienced on Ventura last month.

I am a regular Princess cruiser and when I pass crew members in the corridor I'm used to being greeted with a 'Good morning' or whatever; some will even ask whether I've had a nice day in port etc. On Ventura, I always thanked or greeted the stewards and other crew who stood aside for me in the corridors or smiled and said hello. I was on board for 4 nights and in all that time only one of them returned my greeting. The majority just averted their eyes when passengers walked pass.

The staff in the bars, buffet and MDR rarely smiled and looked as though they were not enjoying their work. Again, I only saw one exception, a waiter in the buffet who took the trouble to engage a child in conversation.

I don't agree with your comments about the quality of the food, although there is certainly a limited choice in the buffet, but unfortunately your comments on the attitude of the crew members mirror what I experienced on Ventura last month.

I am a regular Princess cruiser and when I pass crew members in the corridor I'm used to being greeted with a 'Good morning' or whatever; some will even ask whether I've had a nice day in port etc. On Ventura, I always thanked or greeted the stewards and other crew who stood aside for me in the corridors or smiled and said hello. I was on board for 4 nights and in all that time only one of them returned my greeting. The majority just averted their eyes when passengers walked pass.

The staff in the bars, buffet and MDR rarely smiled and looked as though they were not enjoying their work. Again, I only saw one exception, a waiter in the buffet who took the trouble to engage a child in conversation.

A 4 day cruise, is a fairly short one. I think the crew are rushed off their feet on them. I usually go on 14 day cruises min, which is a lot more laid back, hence why I maybe did not find things as you did.

A 4 day cruise, is a fairly short one. I think the crew are rushed off their feet on them. I usually go on 14 day cruises min, which is a lot more laid back, hence why I maybe did not find things as you did.

Well, yes, it is a short cruise and I too usually go on much longer ones. However, the gratuities are the same per night on a short cruise as a long one and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect what really boils down to just common politeness.

I haven't been on Britannia but I thought the comments re Oriana were a bit negative. We were on her in October and found plenty to amuse us and didn't see any bingo. But then, maybe we are happy amusing ourselves and reading a good book. But the lectures were fascinating, the films a good choice and entertaining and the classical pianist very talented. Also talks on acoustic guitar and my husband got to watch the rugby with lots of like minded souls and free refreshments brought round. And all the staff were polite and helpful.

We did a ships visit to Britannia and were very happy with the quality of food. Maybe Jetset763 didn't research P & O before travelling and expected a more RCI experience. But that's not really P & O's fault is it.

We recently returned from our cruise round the Caribbean on Azura. Our experience was nothing like the one jetset763 had.

Food - it wasn't 5* but we didn't pay 5* money. On the whole the food was hot, sometimes I was warned about hot plates. As for being inedible and of poor quality, we had some beautiful fish e.g. Barramundi in a lobster butter sauce, forerib of beef that was pink and could have been cut with a butter knife and tasted delicious. Unimaginative - haggis and swede tartlet, smoked duck breast, trio of smoked and cured fish? I did have one bad meal which was jerk chicken with peas and rice - it was very dry and not very tasty. I told the waiter, he quickly brought the menu back and I had a beautifully cooked medium sirloin steaks in minutes.

Service - we commented many times on how pleasant and friendly the crew and stewards were. Our waiters in the MDR were always welcoming and attentive. We were on a table for 6 and when any one had the really delicious chunky fries we were all begging for one. The next time anyone ordered a meal with fries the waiter brought an extra bowl and said laughingly, 'these are for the rest of you to share'.

Selling - there was only one time I experienced any 'selling' and that was just a waiter walking round the pool asking if anyone wanted the cocktail of the day. He only stopped if you looked interested.

We were on a joint trip with Britannia cruisers in St Maarten and they all said they loved the ship and were having a great time. I was pressing them for their views as we are going on her in September.

Obviously everyone has their own view, but the world would be a boring place if we were all alike.

I can only agree with English lady & Jennizor.

We have done 9 Pando cruises and can not recollect one surly staff member (including Brittania last year).

I would agree that the labeling and selection in the Buffet could be improved but then we are not paying Seabourne prices, re the meals on 2 occasions over the time my wife has taken one taste of the main course and within minutes it has been replaced with another of her choice.

Re bingo on the Brittannia we never saw or heard it whereas on Princess it was in the theatre either morning or afternoon. Neither did we have any upselling

and as above we have sailed on American lines but far prefer the pando experience.

Finally we have friends on the same cruise as the original poster and their last Email confirmed the same as us that she loved the ship and he didn't

Sorry just remembered, we did complain once on the Aurora that on going to the buffet at midnight there was no Cheese, they went straight and got some and then it was on every night,

Edited by TOMOGP
added comment

We've done many cruises with P&O and I can't comment on Britannia as we haven't cruised on her but we've just come back from Oceana and I have to say for the first time ever I complained several times about the food in the MDR. The meat was tough most nights and they were incapable of cooking meat rare because it was so thin. Each time I was offered a replacement but on one night there was a problem with every course - either incorrectly cooked, the wrong item received or changes I asked for were not carried out. In the Plaza, we thought the cheese was disappointing - thin slices of processed cheese instead of the cheese board we're used to, the cold meats and fish were cheap cuts and the salad selection also showed signs of cut-backs. We were Freedom dining and the couple we ate with every evening were also inveterate P&O-ers and they said it was the worst food they'd had on any cruise.

I took it to the maitre d' and got an apology and a request to let him know if it happened again. I go to enjoy myself and I'm not a moaner. I didn't go around talking about this but 'tallked' by eating in the Beach House and cafe Jardin. can honestly say that I have never had any problems with the food before this. We've spent many nights on Oceana and this was certainly not the standard we've been used to. It has put us off cruising on her again. We don't expect fine dining but we do want food we can enjoy

Edited by tartanexile81

Why rushed off their feet? Still a cruise with bars and eateries open? Do they open different hours on a 4 day as opposed to longer cruises? Cabins still need cleaning just as many times on any length of cruise don't they?

Well most people like the food. Or did on our last 4 cruises and on here and in other forums this has been commented on.

The problem here is the OP being used to American lines. The food is different. Not necessarily better. These comments have come from people on here who do go on other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Your last 4 cruises had better food. How do you know there hasn't been a change across the fleet since you last cruised? You don't as you weren't on this particular cruise were you?

Why is it a problem because the op has sailed on US lines? Cold food is cold food. The food is not that different. Now, if you were referring to an Italian line, that caters for the more Mediterranean palate, then maybe. So it's a problem because people sail on other lines than your precious P&O is it?

Well, yes, it is a short cruise and I too usually go on much longer ones. However, the gratuities are the same per night on a short cruise as a long one and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect what really boils down to just common politeness.

I don't think it comes down to the grats, as to whether they have the time to smile at everyone , and engage with them. If I am walking along the corridors and a room steward is also out there, they are usually the ones to smile and say hello to me, before I get in first.

Waiters in the buffet, well I tend not to chat to them ,unless I want a drink.

Politeness- uhm...I would find things very in your face if whenever I came across a crew member they were happy and tried to engage in some sort of conversation with me...maybe that is why I am still wary of trying any American lines.

I don't mind Americans ,I have been on a few holidays out there..but the in your face I think I would find on a ship...doesn't sit well with me.

Its good we don't all like the same thing isn't it. Those that like the American ships can go on them....I will stick with Pando at the moment.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your hol. We had a couple of cruises on Britannia last year and have booked another later this year. We really enjoyed the food on the whole. We liked the choices in the buffet which we felt catered for a wide spectrum of tastes. Yes sometimes there were some queues but they seemed to open different areas to keep things flowing. We found the crew were very helpful with those guests that were less mobile helping them with their food choices. We liked the speciality restaurants except Sindhu where the service was dire and yes we did complain both on board and again once home. We also found most of the staff very nice and polite. Personally I don't want to be in great conversations with crew members.

Your last 4 cruises had better food. How do you know there hasn't been a change across the fleet since you last cruised? You don't as you weren't on this particular cruise were you?

Why is it a problem because the op has sailed on US lines? Cold food is cold food. The food is not that different. Now, if you were referring to an Italian line, that caters for the more Mediterranean palate, then maybe. So it's a problem because people sail on other lines than your precious P&O is it?

Peter as someone pointed out at the start of the thread, had the poster reported it to anyone at the time.

As I said, doing nothing about it on board, but then coming on here to moan about it, doesn't solve the problem does it.

We had a problem with one meal, reported it, and many other options offered.

I have been on a Fred ship where the menus were fairly strange in the MDR. Next time we sailed on that ship, no problem, so I put it down to the chef at the time.

Nobody I think has said that it is a problem that people sail on American lines.

Their menus would be adjusted to the majority of the passengers.

I have read a quite afew posts over the years that American lines food is very very bland, why I don't know.

You normally sail on American lines and have now found that booking on a UK line may not be the best thing for you.....however that is just you.

The product suits us perfectly.

So much to do with a cruise is down to personal pref. If it doesn't suit you, that does not mean the product is bad, it just means it does not suit you.

Before shooting the OP down, we should all realise that everyone is different and like different foods.

I generally like P&O food and I have found that it is usually warmer than on American ships but I have had poor meals on P&O but a quiet word with the waiter has resulted in it being changed for something better. The exception being in December last year on Ventura when there was absolutely no starter or main course on the menu that I liked on one of the formal nights and I was told by the waiter that the menu was a special Marco Pierre White menu and a decision had been taken that the usual alternatives would not be offered, when I said that in that case I would wait for dessert. The waiter was so upset that I had nothing to eat that he fetched the Maitre d' who kindly offered to personally get whatever I would like so I had a very nice piece of grilled salmon with salad. Every evening after that the Maitre d' checked with me that I was happy with the menu and even offered alternatives that he thought I might like. P&O have dropped standards over the years as have most other lines but a quiet word does usually resolve the problem. I think that P&O's decision to remove the everyday choices from the menu and include some of them in the main selections each day is a mistake because those of us who have less experience with P&O do nit necessarily know what to ask for.

We were on Britannia maiden cruise and we thought that the food on that particular cruise was the best we had had on P&O for a few years. The crew were brilliant and always happy to speak with passengers so I can only suppose that most of the crew have now moved on to other ship's as it is now 12 months since we were there.I will be going on Ventura 8th April and have no reason to expect anything will have changed dramatically in the the last 3 months so I am eagerly looking forward to boarding her again and I hope that I am lucky enough to have the wonderful Soccoro as our cabin steward again, the best cabin steward in more than 30 cruises.

Josy - Just adding my little bit here about the menus in the MDR - I don't tend to like the Marco P White options much either and tend to opt for the normal choices in the main menu.

I wouldn't like not being able to have that choice.

Edited by Scriv

Josy - Just adding my little bit here about the menus in the MDR - I don't tend to like the Marco P White options much either and tend to opt for the normal choices in the main menu.

I wouldn't like not being able to have that choice.

I am glad I'm not the only person who is not a fan of the MPW menus. My husband has said that we should check the menu outside the MDR after lunch on the formal days and then book Sindhu because we always pay a visit to Sindhu on every cruise so it may as well be when it is a MPW evening.

Reviews are just a snap shot in time, so we may travel on a particular ship on one occasion and be perfectly happy with the food, and on a subsequent visit not be so impressed. (This happened to us when standards nose-dived and we haven't been back on that ship since.) Also people have different tastes and what suits one may not suit others and perhaps ships catering mainly to a UK clientele doesn't appeal so much to passengers from the US although cold food isn't good news for anyone!

I am a little concerned though by tatanexile's comments on her recent experience on Oceana which indicates a drop in quality. Having travelled with P&O extensively, she is in a position to make valid comparisons on standards between cruises. Hopefully this is a blip and not indicative of cost cutting which will bite across the fleet. We too don't have unrealistic expectations but do want to enjoy our food. It would prompt us to look elsewhere if we have the same experiece.

I know cruise lines have to be competitive and are always looking for economies but how much more would we each have to pay per week to ensure quality meat each night? Not that much more in the context of the cruise price I suspect. It's a risky route to take if tartanexile's experience is representative of a trend with P&O as it is perhaps the quickest way to turn customers away from their product.

I would be very disappointed if that's the case. I'm hoping our forthcoming trip will be up to our expectations and previous experiences and will be able to post a review to that effect.

Edited by kruzseeka