Internet speed on Infinity

dsarah

Has anyone been on Infinity recently and used the internet? Presume the "speed" is slow but there was a recently posting about an upcoming change to higher speed. Just wondering if that has happened yet.

Last cruise the download speed was under 56K. Remember dialup? There is quite simply put not enough bandwidth to do anything except send a few (very few) emails. The recent internet promotions have made the situation even worse as bandwidth got chopped into what seems like an ever smaller pipe for data.

Last cruise the download speed was under 56K. Remember dialup? There is quite simply put not enough bandwidth to do anything except send a few (very few) emails. The recent internet promotions have made the situation even worse as bandwidth got chopped into what seems like an ever smaller pipe for data.

my last three cruises, i used a mifi internet device, and it was fine, but certainly limited on the amount of data, but i guess I need to consider using that again...

• 3 weeks later...

Did a B to B on Infinity in March

Wifi was usual flakey Wifi on first cruise.

Had a lot of OBC to use on second cruise so we bought the full time package (sorry, can't remember the proper name!)

Normal cost for 14 day cruise is $299, but we got Elite Discount making it $209.

We found the speed much quicker than the first cruise , but not perfect.

I could use What's Ap and Skype to keep in touch, send emails and pictures and could surf as well. At busy times, emails with pictures attached were 'queued' but did go eventually.

We bought one package between us and, for us, it worked out very well.

You can use as many devices on the package as you want (we used four, two tablets, two phones) BUT you can only have one device logged in at a time.

It does tell you if a device is already logged in.

I had the package on my account and my husband was still able to use his free Elite Internet allowance.

It worked very well for us and we would buy it again.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-02%20at%201.34.26%20PM.png

I'm aboard Infinity right now. For checking e-mail, etc, the speed is fine. If you are on a limited minute package, you're going to want to set up some kind of e-mail system on your computer/phone that will download new e-mails, then you can logoff, write your responses, log back on and upload. For the unlimited package, I didn't bother.

You are sharing a relatively slow satellite internet connection with 3,000 of your closest friends. This would be a slow connection if you were using it alone, but with 3,000 of you it can be painful. At peak times (first thing in the morning, and just before dinner) it is difficult. After bedtime it's quite fast.

I like to download the google map of the area when we get to port. Without fail, I always forget until we are leaving the room and headed to the gangway. It's 300MB or so of data. I set it up as we leave the room and at every port, it was finished by the time we walked off the ship. (Data also extends to the dock.) Couple of minutes or so. I consider that pretty good.

Upload is much slower than download - if you are trying to upload photos or videos, bring your patience. I know the speedtest image above doesn't reflect it, but over 15 days I'd notice I could load a whole page of photos in a few seconds, but sending an e-mail with a couple of photos might take 5 minutes.

Edited by photomikey

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-02%20at%201.34.26%20PM.png

I'm aboard Infinity right now. For checking e-mail, etc, the speed is fine. If you are on a limited minute package, you're going to want to set up some kind of e-mail system on your computer/phone that will download new e-mails, then you can logoff, write your responses, log back on and upload. For the unlimited package, I didn't bother.

You are sharing a relatively slow satellite internet connection with 3,000 of your closest friends. This would be a slow connection if you were using it alone, but with 3,000 of you it can be painful. At peak times (first thing in the morning, and just before dinner) it is difficult. After bedtime it's quite fast.

I like to download the google map of the area when we get to port. Without fail, I always forget until we are leaving the room and headed to the gangway. It's 300MB or so of data. I set it up as we leave the room and at every port, it was finished by the time we walked off the ship. (Data also extends to the dock.) Couple of minutes or so. I consider that pretty good.

Upload is much slower than download - if you are trying to upload photos or videos, bring your patience. I know the speedtest image above doesn't reflect it, but over 15 days I'd notice I could load a whole page of photos in a few seconds, but sending an e-mail with a couple of photos might take 5 minutes.

Since you are onboard thanks very much for the real time measurements! Is it possible to find out if they already upgraded to Xcelerate or if not when they plan to do it? We board Infinity in 2 weeks on April 26th for the Panama Canal cruise. Trying to decide if the internet package is worth the price (15 days).

Thanks!