ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

If this does come to fruition, do you think they would offer some OBC for folks (like me) who already have their Choice reservations complete and chose the Anthem due to Dynamic Dining? I've got 10 nights of reservations I had to plan. I figure I'd take some OBC and then use them towards specialty dining to offset RC's cluster of a dining situation.

I was on the cruise following the hurricane. There were a number of things still not working-- we got nothing. I wouldn't expect there to be any OBC for them getting rid of DD-- after all, they say that's what people want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Choice will change to MTD on deck 4. I guess the outstanding reservations will still be valid there.

Yes, but possibly not at the restaurants I have reserved. I've got reservation at all 4 main locations, and if things change up, I will not longer be able to dine at some of them. I've gotta say I won't be happy if RC changes things and then just says 'deal with it' with no sort of refund or OBC.

If RC puts a plan in place for changing the dining, they'll also need some sort of plan in place to handle the guest complaints who just had everything upended.

... sort of a wait and see for now though

Choice will change to MTD on deck 4. I guess the outstanding reservations will still be valid there.

I woudnt like that, so Choice /MTD will get the pretty plain decor in American Icon Grill or the over the top and inappropriate to traditional dining decor in Silk. Classic/Set Time diners will get the much nicer decorated Grande or the plain but modern Chic. What a mess.

Can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if they offer OBC. No itinerary changes here, just menu changes.

I'm not trying to sound like a complainer, but RC ADVERTIZED on their site about the various dining rooms, even posted sample menus, at the time on my booking the Anthem. It was one of the reasons RC got my money to book this cruise.

Again this is IF they do change up the dining, to me they aren't offering a service that was one of the main reason they got my $$. It would seem they should offer some sort of compensation as this change would be a calculated decision made by management.

Then again, as a consumer I always have the option to vote with my $$ and cancel my cruise (as long as I'm still in my cancellation window) ... but to be honest I don't think I'd take it that far. I mentioned previously that this wouldn't be a 'final straw' type thing for me

I'm not trying to sound like a complainer, but RC ADVERTIZED on their site about the various dining rooms, even posted sample menus, at the time on my booking the Anthem. It was one of the reasons RC got my money to book this cruise.

Again this is IF they do change up the dining, to me they aren't offering a service that was one of the main reason they got my $$. It would seem they should offer some sort of compensation as this change would be a calculated decision made by management.

Then again, as a consumer I always have the option to vote with my $$ and cancel my cruise (as long as I'm still in my cancellation window) ... but to be honest I don't think I'd take it that far. I mentioned previously that this wouldn't be a 'final straw' type thing for me

I totally understand your point of view, and I would be disappointed too. There's always a chance they will provide some consideration if the complaints become numerous.

After talking with the Maitre'd of all restaurants this evening, I can confirm that Dynamic Dining will be coming to an end. When I tried to get her to commit to a date, she said it would be after we disembarked the ship which will be April 30th.

The 2 dining rooms on Deck 3 will be Traditional with 2 seatings and the 2 dining rooms on Deck 4 will be MTD. Yes, Formal Nights will be reinstated on Anthem. Coastal Kitchen and the Solarium will be for Suite Guests and Pinnacle Club Members. Suite Guests and PC Members can also have Traditional or MTD.

When I asked the question "WHY", I was told that there were so many complaints from C&A Members.........and this was all levels, and not the higher levels as was posted earlier, that Upper Management listened and is making the change to satisfy its guests.

This change will only affect Anthem and not Quantum or Ovation.

Sailing on the Anthem May 5th, will be disappointed if they do away with DD. That's what we loved about Quantum class. That's why I was willing to pay more for the uniqueness in dinning the ship had to offer.

We did it on the QOS and enjoyed going to a different venue every night. Some we liked more than others but that was OK.

It was part of the cruise that was exciting, now it will be boring eating in the same venue every night. To me there is a huge difference in the decor of the dinning venues....American Icon reminds me of a dinner. I didn't mind eating there for one evening but to have the potential to be assigned that room for the duration of the cruise is not right.

We are 7 adults between 4 cabins and it took me a while to coordinate the dinning times with show times. I just hope things don't get messed up.

Edited by starfish216

"If" they change to Deck 3 being Traditional dining with 2 seatings and Deck 4 being MTD.......all dining venus will use the same menu that will change nightly. Formal Night will also come back into the picture and the number will depend on the length of the cruise.:(

Can you please advise what the formal dress requirements are on Royal. We usually cruise Celebrity. Thanks.

Edited by espo56

After talking with the Maitre'd of all restaurants this evening, I can confirm that Dynamic Dining will be coming to an end. When I tried to get her to commit to a date, she said it would be after we disembarked the ship which will be April 30th.

The 2 dining rooms on Deck 3 will be Traditional with 2 seatings and the 2 dining rooms on Deck 4 will be MTD. Yes, Formal Nights will be reinstated on Anthem. Coastal Kitchen and the Solarium will be for Suite Guests and Pinnacle Club Members. Suite Guests and PC Members can also have Traditional or MTD.

When I asked the question "WHY", I was told that there were so many complaints from C&A Members.........and this was all levels, and not the higher levels as was posted earlier, that Upper Management listened and is making the change to satisfy its guests.

This change will only affect Anthem and not Quantum or Ovation.

Thank you. Can you advise on hiw this will work. We booked reservations at different restaurants. Will we then be MTD people without reservations. We are a group of 8. Will it be a problem eating in MTD?

So, what is different on Anthem vs. Quantum and Ovation? Is DD going to continue on those ships? If so, why are then not going the same direction as Anthem?

Less people moaning probably

I was on the cruise following the hurricane. There were a number of things still not working-- we got nothing. I wouldn't expect there to be any OBC for them getting rid of DD-- after all, they say that's what people want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately they might have too,

In a hurricane/large storm it can easily boil down to things out of their control.

With this, they've changed it. When I booked I specifically selected "Dynamic Dining Choice" which if they aren't providing, they technically aren't providing the product I ordered.

If this does come to fruition, do you think they would offer some OBC for folks (like me) who already have their Choice reservations complete and chose the Anthem due to Dynamic Dining? I've got 10 nights of reservations I had to plan. I figure I'd take some OBC and then use them towards specialty dining to offset RC's cluster of a dining situation.

I agree. It took my group 3 hours to make those reservations with countless follow up calls. I booked this ship because that concept appealed to me. I haven't sailed on Royal since 1994. I booked this cruise because of the flexibility and choices available. Now Royal is taking them away. I had my reservations about the Anthem and almost cancelled but decided to go ahead. I will be very disappointed it I end up having to eat in Silk evey night.

Can you please advise what the formal dress requirements are on Royal. We usually cruise Celebrity. Thanks.

Dress suggestions:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

COMPENSATION !!! OMG !!!

I know this sounds harsh but compensation is not warranted for a change like this. Why does "compensation" come up so often.

We also booked the Anthem because of the choices for Dynamic Dining. Are we disappointed that DD is going away? Absolutely.

Disappointments happen but something small like this can easily be lived with.

This morning I went into the website and made changes in our reservations while prime times are still available.

No desire for compensation here.

I will be very disappointed it I end up having to eat in Silk evey night.

I would take Silk over American Icon.

Okay, I have not seen it here so please forgive me if it was mentioned. Is Anthem keeping their menus or reverting back to the old RCCL MDR menus. If they are reverting back to the old MDR menus that just put another nail in their coffin as far as I am conerned.

I woudnt like that, so Choice /MTD will get the pretty plain decor in American Icon Grill or the over the top and inappropriate to traditional dining decor in Silk. Classic/Set Time diners will get the much nicer decorated Grande or the plain but modern Chic. What a mess.

Totally agree!

I booked the ship because of the different dinning venues that were offered. Now having the potential to be assigned to one room isn't what I paid for. There is a huge difference in the decor between the venues. American Icon being my least favorite.

They should keep the dinning concept the way it was intended to be done. All this mass confusion started when RC brought Classic Dynamic Dinning to the Anthem. RC had no problem filling the ship when it was just DD....Guest know ahead of time the dinning concept of the ship, if you don't like it don't book it. Sail on a different ship.

The last thing I am looking for is OBC....I want the cruise dinning I booked and paid for 13 months ago.

DD is what made this ship so great!

Hope they don't change anything before our May 5th sailing.

If you like your Dynamic Dining and want to keep your DD you should start complaining LOUDLY or forever hold your piece.

Squeaky wheels and all that.

Very disappointing news.

I'm sure my voice will be heard when I ask them for a reduction in my payment or an upgrade at no cost. Especially if everyone else joins me on it.

WAIT!!! WHAT?!?!?!

Now - that's ridiculous. I read people complaining that the current dining rooms simply don't hold enough people for traditional dining, and NOW we won't have access to another sit down complimentary choice? I have no problem with suite guests getting their own restaurant. I just have an issue with them getting one - a healthy choice that I have access to on other ships - that had previously been advertised to me.

Yes, but possibly not at the restaurants I have reserved. I've got reservation at all 4 main locations, and if things change up, I will not longer be able to dine at some of them. I've gotta say I won't be happy if RC changes things and then just says 'deal with it' with no sort of refund or OBC.

If RC puts a plan in place for changing the dining, they'll also need some sort of plan in place to handle the guest complaints who just had everything upended.

... sort of a wait and see for now though

I highly doubt it since it literally affects everyone on the ship in the same way regardless if you make reservations and others were going to rotate, everyone is missing seeing the other venues/menus. I had classic2 but I still won't be able to see all 4 dining venues only the 1 we will get assigned to apparently. Still super disappointing since all of the restaurant choices were part of the reason for booking this trip.

I am not really concerned about the decor of the dining venue. We will be in a group of 8 enjoying each others company. What I am disappointed in, is losing the different menus that we would be experiencing each evening. We booked all our restaurants and we asked our travel agent to link our reservations with the others so we would all be seated together, she said that RC told her that they don't link reservations for purposes of DD. She told our agent for us just to tell each restaurant when we arrive. Our TA said she insisted they do it, but told her the best they would do was to note on our reservation that we were with 3 other couples.

That did not sit well with me, so I emailed RC Dining and a day later they responded and linked all reservations so we would be at 1 table for 8.

Now this. So I wonder what is going to happen to our reservations at the Grande and Chic? Also now that Solarium Bistro is for suite guests only, where are they going to put us that night?

I could only expect that when they make the announcement official, their whole cruise planner web site will crash with everyone trying to adjust their reservations. Or we could make changes now like someone else did to avoid the rush. But then what if the information posted was not exactly what they are doing. I truly believe the poster, but what if the Maitre d was wrong?

I highly doubt it since it literally affects everyone on the ship

Didn't think of it that way, but that's a good point. I was looking at it from a 'choice' perspective, but this would also tick off some of the 'classic' folks as well.

I've got a strange feeling RC could get more of a backlash changing things up then what they are seeing now with the current system and before DD classic.

This could be a case where RC should never have even brought in DD classic. It's expected and human nature to be uncomfortable with change, but it may be like quick-sand now ... the more RC tries to change and adapt the system, the faster they'll sink