Beluga Whale questions

DISNEYMAMA18

I know this may sound odd, but what are chances of seeing beluga whales while we are on our cruise or in one of the ports? We are doing a whale watching tour in Juneau but it says we will mainly see humpbacks and possibly an orca pod. I have seen nothing about belugas. My daughter is absolutely obsessed with belugas and just wondered what the chances of seeing some may be.

I know this may sound odd, but what are chances of seeing beluga whales while we are on our cruise or in one of the ports? We are doing a whale watching tour in Juneau but it says we will mainly see humpbacks and possibly an orca pod. I have seen nothing about belugas. My daughter is absolutely obsessed with belugas and just wondered what the chances of seeing some may be.

Not likely to see any Belugas unless your in Anchorage or Seward. Belugas are white to blend in with their surroundings for protection.

The best place to see Belugas would be along Turnagain Arm on the drive from Seward/Whittier to Anchorage. Looks like you’re doing a Seattle roundtrip so will miss this section. I’ve never seen them along the inside passage. Looks like you’ll need to come back someday!

I saw a beluga from the train heading to Anchorage. The train stopped to watch. The passengers as well as the crew were in awe.

Never saw one from the ship.

HAL cruises that go all the way to Anchorage sometimes see them as they travel to Homer.

I saw a beluga from the train heading to Anchorage. The train stopped to watch. The passengers as well as the crew were in awe.

Never saw one from the ship.

We had the same experience on the train heading southbound to Whittier last year. We were stopped for about 10 minutes and there were probably about 10 :) Really awesome sight!

I will have to pay attention when we sail on the Amsterdam between Anchorage and Homer next year :D

On our first trip to Alaska six years ago, my youngest daughter was also obsessed with beluga (can we all sing "Baby beluga in the deep blue sea...). We sailed Disney out of Vancouver so we spent a couple of days there before the cruise. The aquarium has belugas. We were fortunate to see a couple of moms and their calves.

Not cruise related but here is a place to go see beluga whales

http://www.everythingchurchill.com/experiences/beluga-whales/

We went in November a couple of years ago to see the polar bears and it was fantastic! (We used Natural Habitat.)

Still working on my husband to do the whale tours. :)

Edited by diane.in.ny

I strongly recommend Vancouver as a pre/post-cruise port for a few days for your Alaskan trip. The nearby Aquarium has a large beluga exhibit, with a show.

[YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aljvbDHfix4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

The area everyone mentioned just south of Anchorage to see Beluga whales is...drumroll please...Beluga Point. That's what came to mind for me regarding where to see them. I have seen them in Anchorage (in a home in a development in South Anchorage that had a view of Cook Inlet) but they are closer-up at Beluga Point. Other place I've seen them is in various arctic villages during spring beluga hunting. Very important food source to some, but that's probably not what your daughter is looking for.