Weight Limit For AA

alb38

I am flying to Puerto Rico in November and I was on American Airlines website and I am pretty sure that weight limit is 70 lbs but can anybody verify this for me for sure? It will make the difference of which suitcase I can take!!

Some checked baggage limits changed for tickets issued after Oct 1st for flights outside the US. Not sure what the limits were for PR, USVI. However, it seems that international baggage weight limits have been reduced at AA from 70 lbs to 50 lbs. I had always thought that there was an international agreement on the 70 lb limit for international travel. Hopefully Globalizer or someone else can jump in. Fortunately, my tickets to Mexico were purchased in June.

It appears that checked baggage to PR and the USVI, remains at 2 ea up to 70 lbs ea.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml;jsessionid=BEN040EAM20I1EAJJM5U1C2QBFFTWVMD?anchorEvent=false

Thanks Hdawson -

We purchased our tickets over the summer but arent' traveling until end of November that is why I was confused:confused: . So does that mean we are okay for the 70lbs?

Some checked baggage limits changed for tickets issued after Oct 1st for flights outside the US. Not sure what the limits were for PR, USVI. However, it seems that international baggage weight limits have been reduced at AA from 70 lbs to 50 lbs. I had always thought that there was an international agreement on the 70 lb limit for international travel. Hopefully Globalizer or someone else can jump in. Fortunately, my tickets to Mexico were purchased in June.

It appears that checked baggage to PR and the USVI, remains at 2 ea up to 70 lbs ea.

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml;jsessionid=BEN040EAM20I1EAJJM5U1C2QBFFTWVMD?anchorEvent=false

If I understand it right, there was a general agreement about 2 pieces x 70 lbs each for North American flights, but that was basically forced on everyone by US carriers who insisted on their own domestic allowances also applying on international flights, notwithstanding the general agreement about allowances on international flights. The normal international standard is about 20 kg per person in economy.

So it's a bit of an irony that it's the US carriers who are the first to reduce the North American international flight allowances, and it's the rest of the world's carriers who still have the old, more generous allowance.

The way I read that AA page is as follows:-

• All US, Canada, PR and USVI flights are already now 2 pieces x 50 lbs each.
  • Pre-01.10.05 tickets for all international destinations allow 2 pieces x 70 lbs each.
  • Post-01.10.05 tickets for all international destinations allow 2 pieces x 50 lbs each, except the following destinations which are still at 70 lbs: BOG, CLO, MGA, MDE, PAP, POP, SAP, SAL, STI, SDQ and TGU.
  • One further exception: Until travel date 31.10.05, STI and SDQ allow 3 pieces x 70 lbs.

So for alb38, I fear that this is the applicable section, which makes no mention of ticketing date:-

For flights to/from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

• 2 pieces checked and one carry-on

Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry-on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

• Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
  • One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm
  • The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/32 kgs.

The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to keep in mind is if you cruise on a transatlantic trip your overseas allowance for luggage will be more than the domestic one. We came back from England on the Jewel we each had one large bag. We were charged for 5 lbs. in extra weight when we reached NY and had to travel back to SC. Not nice! We could have traveled with up to 2 bags, carried more each and stayed within the limits but we thought 1 bag each was easier. In the future we will be packing a little differently. They seem to have gotten a lot stricter on weight.

Archived