Help! 4 people, 2 cabins, lead person in one cabin can't go.

juniperia

Hi all! I need your input/help/advice. My family (me, my husband, my 2 year old son, and my mother) is going on a cruise. We booked 2 rooms: 1 balcony (husband & I) & 1 inside room (my mother and my son). We were given rooms Category BD 10726 and Category ID 10433.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, my mother may not be able to go. We are still keeping her reservation as there is still a possibility she can join us.

But when we shared this information with our travel agent, she that our son can't board the ship unless my mother is with us, as she is the lead person in the room reservation:(. She said that we would have to officially transfer our 2 year old into our room (making him the 3rd person) and pay extra fees, even though we've already paid for him as a full person with my mom's reservation as we booked 2 rooms for the four of us.

She also told us that we would have to change rooms as our current room cannot accommodate 3 people, even though when I check the website it states that our room holds 3, which is the same capacity as the room she intends to transfer us to (10278).

As well, we purchased the air/cruise package from Toronto, Canada, and she is now saying that we may have to cancel my son's ticket and reissue it because of this change (moving him into our room).

Has anyone else experienced the above? How has this worked out for you? I've heard of families booking multiple rooms and switching from their official rooms with no issue.

Does anyone have any insight or advice on this? Thanks for all your help.

She can't just switch you and your mom, so the reservation for one room is your husband and your mother, and the other room is you and your son? That doesn't make sense.

When is your cruise? Couldn't she just rebook the names easily?

Not surer if this would work, but could you switch you or your husband to the room with your son? Have the ressie show one parent and son in inside room, the other parent and mom in balcony. You can sleep where you want and mom can still go if possible.

Hope it works out for you.

T

Yes, I've asked that they switch us, but they said they can't do the switch as it's too close to sailing (we're sailing April 24). Does that make sense or are they just pulling a fast one on me? :confused:

Yes, I've asked that they switch us, but they said they can't do the switch as it's too close to sailing (we're sailing April 24). Does that make sense or are they just pulling a fast one on me? :confused:

My son and his family did the booking switch with no problem. Talk to the TA again. I'm sure the names can be switched for you and your mother in one cabin and your husband and son in the other. Hope your mother gets to cruise.

I don't think they're pulling a fast one on you. At a certain point, the passenger manifest has to be locked down for all the various security and immigration authorities, and they cannot change things after that point. However, I don't know at what point that lock down occurs, and it seems odd that they can still accept new bookings up until almost the last minute.

Missed the fact that you're going through a TA on this. I'd definitely contact NCL directly. The sailing is a month away...they should be able to switch the names around.

The reason they may not be able to change you is because it sounds like you are booked on an "air/sea" package where air was provided by NCL. If so the air reservations may possibly not be able to be moved from one booking to another. That could be where the problem is.

I would...

Not call the TA. It doesn't seem like you have a very good TA. If they notify the cruiseline that your mother will not be coming they may charge a cancellation fee for the room, a surcharge, or anything else.

I would show up as the three of you. Check in and say your mother will be joining you later.

As far as the plane ticket goes, there is no reason that has to be changed. People miss flights all the time.

It would be much easier if your TA would more your husband or you to the other room. It seems that's not the case. If so, I would do as mentioned.

Good luck!

You know how cruise lines, air lines etc say that a reservation is "non-transferable"? This is what that means, and it's likely the reason they will not make any changes for you after final payment if you didn't purchase the trip insurance.

I would...

Not call the TA. It doesn't seem like you have a very good TA. If they notify the cruiseline that your mother will not be coming they may charge a cancellation fee for the room, a surcharge, or anything else.

I would show up as the three of you. Check in and say your mother will be joining you later.

As far as the plane ticket goes, there is no reason that has to be changed. People miss flights all the time.

It would be much easier if your TA would more your husband or you to the other room. It seems that's not the case. If so, I would do as mentioned.

Good luck!

Agreed

You could show up and inform NCL that your mother missed the flight and as a result will not make the cruise. NCL will have no choice but to move 1 parent to the son's room. Or put all 3 of you in one room.

Hope things work out for you.

Excuse me for saying this, but I have suspicions about the honesty of your TA. You are past final payment, but I don't buy it that they could not switch your son into your room or switch it so there is one adult in each. They are not losing a penny either way, and if your mom can't go they will be down that passenger on the ships manifest regardless. I hate to think that this TA could be trying to get an additional commission by sticking you in still another cabin, maybe I've just lost my faith in people or I've become jaded. I just feel like there's something "rotten in Denmark". I can't help it, but I don't trust anybody anymore.:mad:

It makes no sense that your son could not check in without your mother there. People in the same cabin check in at different times all the time. And he would still be with you - his parent!

Edited by KarenMF