Questions: Drink package, bringing wine, and bottled water

Tom-n-Cheryl

From some limited reading, tell me if I have this right: The beverage package only covers wine up to $7/glass and any selections beyond that price must be paid in full ?? Evidently I was spoiled on our Celebrity cruise earlier this month, where there was no limit to daily drinks (did not even approach 15 anyway) and wine was covered up to $13/glass. Any beverage purchased which was over the limit (wine for example) would just require paying the difference. Not that it matters, as I know HAL does not provide this, but our cabin on Celebrity included the premium beverage package... as will also be the case for our Allure cruise in May.

The most expensive wine offered by the glass with HAL is $11 ?? Guess that there's not a lot of nicer wines to choose from.

If my understanding on the HAL package is correct, it's definitely not for us... Can anyone answer the following questions?

> Does HAL allow wine to be brought onboard? Can I assume 2 bottles/cabin? Is there a fee to do this, or only if it's brought to a restaurant (corkage fee)?

> Does HAL allow soft drinks or bottled water to be brought onboard? If so, what are the limits, and I'm guessing it must be carried on? What about just putting a luggage tag on a case of bottled water or a 12-pk of soft drinks?

> Carnival (referencing them, as they may be similar) now allows one to purchase bottled water (12-pks?) ahead of time for the very reasonable fee of $3.99. Does HAL offer this? Regarding the bottled water, I'm aware of the good quality of the ships water, and just prefer (pre)-bottled when cruising. :)

Just trying to plan out the best approach for our November sailing!

THANKS,

Tom

$8, but more or less correct on the beverage package.

Celebrity has much higher prices for the same drinks, and you need to have one of their upgraded packages to take advantage of the "pay the difference" policy.

Just one example, and it doesn't represent every scenario - but my wife and I have a Celebrity cruise booked for April 2017 and a HAL cruise in December 2016. The Celebrity Silhouette cruise is about $895 per person more on a one week cruise.

On Holland America, you can bring on as much wine as you can carry, subject to the $18 corkage fee. On Celebrity, you can bring one bottle per person - assuming I read things correctly. Both HAL and Celebrity look to be marking up wine in the neighborhood of 4x to 5x wholesale. (At the very high end of the lists the mark up drops to about 2.3x on both lines.)

Edited by POA1

With respect to bottled water and soda - there's not currently a limit on Holland America. HAL doesn't have the low water package pricing like Carnival does.(It's more of a smuggling prevention thing on Carnival.)

You don't currently have to carry on water or soda. You can securely wrap and package it for check in. That could always change though.

Edited by POA1

From some limited reading, tell me if I have this right: The beverage package only covers wine up to $7/glass and any selections beyond that price must be paid in full ?? Evidently I was spoiled on our Celebrity cruise earlier this month, where there was no limit to daily drinks (did not even approach 15 anyway) and wine was covered up to $13/glass. Any beverage purchased which was over the limit (wine for example) would just require paying the difference. Not that it matters, as I know HAL does not provide this, but our cabin on Celebrity included the premium beverage package... as will also be the case for our Allure cruise in May.

The most expensive wine offered by the glass with HAL is $11 ?? Guess that there's not a lot of nicer wines to choose from.

If my understanding on the HAL package is correct, it's definitely not for us... Can anyone answer the following questions?

> Does HAL allow wine to be brought onboard? Can I assume 2 bottles/cabin? Is there a fee to do this, or only if it's brought to a restaurant (corkage fee)?

> Does HAL allow soft drinks or bottled water to be brought onboard? If so, what are the limits, and I'm guessing it must be carried on? What about just putting a luggage tag on a case of bottled water or a 12-pk of soft drinks?

> Carnival (referencing them, as they may be similar) now allows one to purchase bottled water (12-pks?) ahead of time for the very reasonable fee of $3.99. Does HAL offer this? Regarding the bottled water, I'm aware of the good quality of the ships water, and just prefer (pre)-bottled when cruising. :)

Just trying to plan out the best approach for our November sailing!

THANKS,

Tom

If you do a little search around "Sodas" you will find a statement from HAL's facebook page about only being able to carry water or soda onboard, not in checked luggage. However, some report differently, so it's anyone's guess. The alcohol policy on their website but you are allowed to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult passenger for your cabin, and any over and above is subject to $18 per bottle corkage.

I have been doing some research as well as we are doing our first Hal cruise this summer. We are big wine drinkers form the Napa Valley and plan to bring wine on board. You can bring on one bottle per person (there will be 4 of us) and all the extra you want. But anything over one bottle per person will get a sticker that shows you have paid the $18 per bottle corkage. Evidently there is a table you stop at during embarkation where they total up the corkage and it gets put on your account. We plan to bring about 8 bottles on board. Four will be free of corkage, and we will pay $18 for each of the other four. These wines will be in the $30-$100 range so spending $18 for corkage is not big deal and we know we have quality wines we like for dinner. We will just fill up water bottles and pay for sodas so we go as we don't drink much soda. Hopefully others can verify the water and soda questions.

POA1 I'm hardly going to challenge your expertise but I thought that wine was now $9 and all other drinks $8. Except as usual I can't find any of the threads with my searches to confirm!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

POA1 I'm hardly going to challenge your expertise but I thought that wine was now $9 and all other drinks $8. Except as usual I can't find any of the threads with my searches to confirm!

You may be right. (I may be crazy. - William Joel.)

I'll certainly take your word for it. :)

I can only find references to $8. I don't know where I got the $9 wine idea so I think you should assume it's $8.

I have never seen a $9 reference on HAL, and I read all the posts, so am unlikely to have missed it.

From HAL website:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at a $8.00 or lower menu price.

From HAL website:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at a $8.00 or lower menu price.

Thanks.

So, I'm guessing that a Grey Goose and Sprite would probably exceed the $8 as well...

That's a potentially good package for people who drink moderately (or more) and are not concerned with what's on the label, to some extent.

Tom

I have been doing some research as well as we are doing our first Hal cruise this summer. We are big wine drinkers form the Napa Valley and plan to bring wine on board. You can bring on one bottle per person (there will be 4 of us) and all the extra you want. But anything over one bottle per person will get a sticker that shows you have paid the $18 per bottle corkage. Evidently there is a table you stop at during embarkation where they total up the corkage and it gets put on your account. We plan to bring about 8 bottles on board. Four will be free of corkage, and we will pay $18 for each of the other four. These wines will be in the $30-$100 range so spending $18 for corkage is not big deal and we know we have quality wines we like for dinner. We will just fill up water bottles and pay for sodas so we go as we don't drink much soda. Hopefully others can verify the water and soda questions.

If you take one of your "free" (unstickered) bottles of wine to a public venue, you will be charged the corkage fee, I believe. We have had that happen sometimes, sometimes not....:cool:

It appears to me that HAL could benefit from offering an optional upgrade to some sort of premium package. Otherwise they're going to have people like us go à la carte, and likely spend less overall. I just like the thought of having a package that covers nearly all that I'm going to drink - even though I'm probably spending more on the package than the drinks would cost otherwise.

I noticed that there were some wine packages, I'll have to look more closely at that - but, do any of their packages (alcohol or wine) offer a % off bottles of wine? We tend to drink a bottle with dinner - and often spend between $75-$200+ (ship prices) on those bottles. Saving even 20% would add up.

Thanks,

Tom

HAL's alcohol policy (Already Booked > FAQs > Popular Topics > Alcohol) states:

Revised Policy effective 2/4/15

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge. All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

Additionally, hidden away in at least one shore excursion description (A Taste of Sardinia) is the following statement "Corkage policy: Onboard corkage fee is waived for one bottle of wine per person per tour for wine purchased during a Holland America Line shore excursion."

Thanks.

So, I'm guessing that a Grey Goose and Sprite would probably exceed the $8 as well...

That's a potentially good package for people who drink moderately (or more) and are not concerned with what's on the label, to some extent.

Tom

Out of the 15 brands of Vodka on the HAL drinks list (halfacts.com), only 2 are not included in the SBP, Chopin & Belvedere. All Beers are included, including the premium Grolsch. All Rums, all Bourbons, all Canadian & Irish Whiskeys, 8 of the 15 Scotch and Single Malts, all Gins and all soft drinks. Only 2 of the Brandy's and Cognacs, and only 2 of the 7 Tequilas. They do not double charge you for Vodka and a mixer (Sprite), it's considered one drink. Same for Rum & Coke, or any other mixer. We had White Russians many times, (Grey Goose vodka, Kahlua, and cream), all for the standard $7.95 charge.

We had the SBP on a 26 day Med/TA and ordered doubles of vodka with no problems, Baily's, B & B. We found the SBP to be more than adequate and the break-even point was between 6 & 7 drinks. After that, you are saving money. On a cruise with lots of sea days like a TA, it's very easy to exceed 7 drinks, when you consider that specialty coffees, a fair selection of wines, bottles of water, and all cocktails are included. Plus the pleasure of not getting that huge shock when your final statement arrives on last day. If you just want a bottle of wine with dinner and 2 drinks at some other time, then the SBP is not for you.

Yes, the purchased drink cards are exactly that, just prepaid cards. No discounts or freebies. Depending on your Mariner status you can get discounts on some wine packages.

Edited by TAD2005

I can only find references to $8. I don't know where I got the $9 wine idea so I think you should assume it's $8.

I assume it is $6.95. That is $8 including the 15% service charge.

I assume it is $6.95. That is $8 including the 15% service charge.

No, the maximum drink price is $8. The 15% service charge is paid when you buy the package. If you get SBP through the Explore-4 promotion, there is no 15% service charge.

You can buy any drink up to $8, menu price, and it will be included in your package. And, many times on a 26 day cruise, I ordered doubles. No problem, they rang it up as 2 drinks @ $7.50 each. We never saw any drink charges on our final bill.

Out of the 15 brands of Vodka on the HAL drinks list (halfacts.com), only 2 are not included in the SBP, Chopin & Belvedere. All Beers are included, including the premium Grolsch. All Rums, all Bourbons, all Canadian & Irish Whiskeys, 8 of the 15 Scotch and Single Malts, all Gins and all soft drinks. Only 2 of the Brandy's and Cognacs, and only 2 of the 7 Tequilas. They do not double charge you for Vodka and a mixer (Sprite), it's considered one drink. Same for Rum & Coke, or any other mixer. We had White Russians many times, (Grey Goose vodka, Kahlua, and cream), all for the standard $7.95 charge.

We had the SBP on a 26 day Med/TA and ordered doubles of vodka with no problems, Baily's, B & B. We found the SBP to be more than adequate and the break-even point was between 6 & 7 drinks. After that, you are saving money. On a cruise with lots of sea days like a TA, it's very easy to exceed 7 drinks, when you consider that specialty coffees, a fair selection of wines, bottles of water, and all cocktails are included. Plus the pleasure of not getting that huge shock when your final statement arrives on last day. If you just want a bottle of wine with dinner and 2 drinks at some other time, then the SBP is not for you.

Yes, the purchased drink cards are exactly that, just prepaid cards. No discounts or freebies. Depending on your Mariner status you can get discounts on some wine packages.

That's good info - MUCH appreciated !

The point you made regarding getting nailed for the mixer on top of the alcohol hit home. I've had that happen on only one cruise... it was the first and last cruise we took on Princess. At that time I was mixing with Diet Sprite, and they did not have it in their soda guns, so they had to open a can - for which I was charged on top of the drink!

Tom

No, the maximum drink price is $8. The 15% service charge is paid when you buy the package. If you get SBP through the Explore-4 promotion, there is no 15% service charge.

You can buy any drink up to $8, menu price, and it will be included in your package. And, many times on a 26 day cruise, I ordered doubles. No problem, they rang it up as 2 drinks @ $7.50 each. We never saw any drink charges on our final bill.

Thanks that is very helpful. I see a few gin and tonics ahead (:-)