Koningsdam's Hydro Pool

rkacruiser

Captain Albert's blog today has a photo of the Hydro Pool in the Greenhouse Spa on the new ship. It appears to me that the pool is smaller than the Hydro Pools on the Vista and Signature Class ships. Larger ship, more guests, larger Spa, smaller pool: I wonder what the thinking was that led to that decision.

I hope I am wrong and that the photo does not show the true dimensions of the pool.

For comparison purposes, I found a picture from Eurodam of the hydropool, with a person in the picture.

As best I can tell it's at least the same size. I think even a little larger.

c136be88.jpg

We're very familiar with the hydropools on the Vista/Sig class ships so I'll know for sure soon enough :)

For comparison purposes, I found a picture from Eurodam of the hydropool, with a person in the picture.

As best I can tell it's at least the same size. I think even a little larger.

c136be88.jpg

We're very familiar with the hydropools on the Vista/Sig class ships so I'll know for sure soon enough :)

At least the same size or a little larger? Oh, I do hope so!

The Hydro Pool is my #1 favorite amenity on the Vista and Signature Class ships, followed by the Thermal Suite.

I am looking forward to what you will soon experience!

I agree, I think it will be the same size or larger just a lot more sitting area. You have to admit the current Hydro pools on the Vista and Signature Class do not allow for a lot of people to sit and enjoy the bubbles. Leaving a lot of wasted space. This appears to give a lot more people the room without invading peoples private space.:) Truthfully it made me call HAL today and go ahead and booked the Thermal Suite pass for the full week despite the fact I am not sure I will get to use it daily due to the excursions we have planned in each port. But I did not want to miss out in trying this new Thermal Suite. Actually the Heated Sauna with the glass windows is what won me over :D This is the way it is on the NCL ships and I love it. :)

It looks to me as if it's all seating, no wall with the side jets. I love those massaging jets, but it seems most people just go to the seats.

I wish the pool on the Vistas was deeper, so they could have more of the wall jets. I got spoiled by the thalassotherapy pool on QE2. It was deep and there were jets starting at ankle height, and all the way up to the shoulders (more like mid-back for most people, I'm short). I had to scrunch down in the pool on Oosterdam to get the jets at my back.

It looks to me as if it's all seating, no wall with the side jets. I love those massaging jets, but it seems most people just go to the seats.

I wish the pool on the Vistas was deeper, so they could have more of the wall jets. I got spoiled by the thalassotherapy pool on QE2. It was deep and there were jets starting at ankle height, and all the way up to the shoulders (more like mid-back for most people, I'm short). I had to scrunch down in the pool on Oosterdam to get the jets at my back.

Kathy, I think it is hard to see but I think there are jets behind the bars for seating. I also think that thing in the center is the same as they have on the Vista ships. I can relate to the shortness, at just under 5ft and tend to be vertically challenged. But i will definitely report in exact what it has ;) I purchased in advance just yesterday the pass for the full week.

I may not get any sleep on this cruise but I will darn well be seeing and doing everything :D

Kathy, I think it is hard to see but I think there are jets behind the bars for seating. I also think that thing in the center is the same as they have on the Vista ships. I can relate to the shortness, at just under 5ft and tend to be vertically challenged. But i will definitely report in exact what it has ;) I purchased in advance just yesterday the pass for the full week.

I may not get any sleep on this cruise but I will darn well be seeing and doing everything :D

The jets I meant were the ones you stand in front of. I love those. I'm sure there are lots of bubble jets under the seats. One problem I have with being short is that I sit too low in the water on the seats, and my hair gets wet, even when I pin it up. Yeah, I know, first world problem, right?

Is buying the full pass online something new? I didn't find a way to do that this past winter (Oosterdam), so going to the spa to buy the pass was one of our first stops after we boarded.

Is there a charge for use of these amenities? Going on Koningsdam in the fall and I need to keep track of all the extra charges.:confused:

Yes, they charge for the thermal suite. We bought a couples thermal suite package (Oosterdam) and I think it was around $250 for both of us for the whole 10-day cruise. I think the cost kept a lot of people away, as it was never crowded when we were there. No waiting for the heated loungers. :)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The jets I meant were the ones you stand in front of. I love those. I'm sure there are lots of bubble jets under the seats. One problem I have with being short is that I sit too low in the water on the seats, and my hair gets wet, even when I pin it up. Yeah, I know, first world problem, right?

Is buying the full pass online something new? I didn't find a way to do that this past winter (Oosterdam), so going to the spa to buy the pass was one of our first stops after we boarded.

I called ship services and they were happy to accommodate. They charged me the same as it would be on the ship with single of $150.00 for the 7 day and if I wanted a couples it would be $250.00. I received an email from the Ship Services Manager stating I had purchased a Thermal Suite Pass for the week. I was surprised the price had not gone up, it has been a few years since I purchase the pass for the week and was pleased..

Besides the much-noticed expanded "basting rack" feature, which I agree is a good thing, it would seem that the "undercarriage treatment" in the center has been removed. It appears to me that this is now the area where one can enjoy the pounding effect of the "fire hose." In terms of how most folks seem to use the t-pool, I agree that this new arrangement is likely to be more efficient. If it isn't larger than existing t-pools, it will seem to have less "wasted space."

Besides the much-noticed expanded "basting rack" feature, which I agree is a good thing, it would seem that the "undercarriage treatment" in the center has been removed. It appears to me that this is now the area where one can enjoy the pounding effect of the "fire hose." In terms of how most folks seem to use the t-pool, I agree that this new arrangement is likely to be more efficient. If it isn't larger than existing t-pools, it will seem to have less "wasted space."

I totally agree :) I think it will actually be quite large and will accommodate far more people.

lol I like the term basting rack, very appropriate :D

If the cruise itself is a 14 day.....can you purchase just for 7 days? The last half of our cruise is a transatlantic back to the US so would use it then.

Are steam rooms and saunas included or are those accessible at no fee?

If the cruise itself is a 14 day.....can you purchase just for 7 days? The last half of our cruise is a transatlantic back to the US so would use it then.

I'm pretty sure it has to be for the full cruise. Steam and sauna are part of the thermal suite covered by the pass, and are not open to all. Some spa treatments may give you access to the thermal suite for just that day, but I'm not sure--I might be confusing that policy with a different cruise line.

A concern of mine is the possible lack of those side wall massaging jets. I love those as well. They help my arthritic joints feel much better after a session in the pool.

I'm pretty sure it has to be for the full cruise. Steam and sauna are part of the thermal suite covered by the pass, and are not open to all. Some spa treatments may give you access to the thermal suite for just that day, but I'm not sure--I might be confusing that policy with a different cruise line.

There was a time several years ago that if you had a treatment they would allow you to use the Thermal Suite for the day but I believe that has been gone for quite some time. Because of the popularity of these Thermal Suites all line have discontinued that I am aware as well as you must by for the full voyage you are booked on and cannot purchase days or segments.

We purchased the thermal package for our 14 TA on the NA last fall at a special deal offered at the start of the cruise and then again on the Eurodam on the Easter Caribbean trip following it. While I was apprehensive about it, we really enjoyed it. My favorite was the heated beds, and I used it much more on the TA portion of our travels.

I don't believe one can purchase it for portions of the cruise. I also don't think the steam rooms and saunas are available separately.

There was a time several years ago that if you had a treatment they would allow you to use the Thermal Suite for the day but I believe that has been gone for quite some time. Because of the popularity of these Thermal Suites all line have discontinued that I am aware as well as you must by for the full voyage you are booked on and cannot purchase days or segments.

I have spoken with guests who were able to purchase a day pass for the Thermal Suite/Hydro Pool. Maybe the full cruise passes were not selling well?

As a 5 Star Mariner benefit, a day pass for the amenities of the Greenhouse Spa is a feature. How does the Spa staff handle this? If one is on a 7 day cruise, for example, and one decides to book the daily pass for the entire cruise, is the price reduced by 1/7th?

• 2 weeks later...

We are on here now. It is considerably bigger. The basting racks probably go 3/4 of the way around. There is wall seating now which is great for short people. The centre is missing the steering wheel but it still blows bubbles and the centre overhead sprayers spray so hard you really have to enjoy the blasting. There is falling rain all the way around the outside so that's enjoyable. The pool was great the first day, second day to cold, tonight no bubbles. Glitches to work out. The cost is $350.00 for 7 days but we bought the 19 day package for $599.00. Really helps my arthritis.

We are on here now. It is considerably bigger. The basting racks probably go 3/4 of the way around. There is wall seating now which is great for short people. The centre is missing the steering wheel but it still blows bubbles and the centre overhead sprayers spray so hard you really have to enjoy the blasting. There is falling rain all the way around the outside so that's enjoyable. The pool was great the first day, second day to cold, tonight no bubbles. Glitches to work out. The cost is $350.00 for 7 days but we bought the 19 day package for $599.00. Really helps my arthritis.

Thank you so very much for your descriptive report! I truly appreciate the detail you provided. The seating along the wall sounds wonderful, particularly when the "basting racks" (love that description!) are fully occupied.

I am very pleased to know that this amenity/venue has been so much improved.

Again, thanks for your report and continue to enjoy your cruise.

The only down side to the pool so far is it has not even warm [emoji53] it was like warm the first sea day and two days ago it was down right cold so did not get in. Planning to go to the spa now to spend the afternoon and hoping that it has heated up or gotten fixed

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Thank you for this information.

It is $350.00 per couple for 7 days. There have been some glitches but we have used everyday. Yes there was one day it was cold. We were told it was 3 degrees but boy you could feel it. They fixed that the next day after we reported it. Then the following day there were no bubbles. That too was fixed. The shower beside the pool is stupidly hot. All in all its still very nice and I'm glad we have the package.

The going line right now us we are trying to fix doesn't matter where you are on the ship.