What's your biggest factor in picking cruise line/ship?

Mommabear2Five

My top 3 considerations for choosing a cruise are:

1. Date

2. Itinerary

3. Value

Obviously, our availability is the most important feature in selecting a cruise. Once we know our window of opportunity, we then select a destination that interests us. We review itineraries and ship options hoping to find something new and interesting that would differentiate one voyage from another. Finally, for us, value is subjective. This is a combination of price, expert and online reviews, itinerary, ship amenities, port locations, etc. It is not solely cost. For example, when we did SE Asia, we chose Oceania because as a smaller ship, it could sail up the rivers in Bangkok and Shanghai when the larger cruise ships might be moored more than an hour's drive outside the city. We are not "brand loyal" as the trinkets, baubles and minor perqs through loyalty programs really have minimal interest to us in our selection of a cruise.

My top 3 considerations for choosing a cruise are:

1. Date

2. Itinerary

3. Value

Obviously, our availability is the most important feature in selecting a cruise. Once we know our window of opportunity, we then select a destination that interests us.

This is close to us.

#1, #2 and #3 is:

Date & Timing

My wife works in a school district and I have 3 kids in school. All told that's 3 different school district schedules. Spring Break never works plus my wife cares for her mother during this time.

Summer is athletic schedules and work schedules.

Christmas day has to be spent with my MIL if I expect to stay married.

That leaves some time in the summer (Barcelona port works for us) or embarkation on Dec. 26th or 27th from a port we can drive (17 hours or less).

Then criteria #4 is price.

Carnival has worked for us.

I look forward to the day I don't have to worry about dates and timing.

Since I book based on ports, I think that eventually I will probably have to branch out to other cruise lines, as it seems that Carnival tends to offer the same itineraries over and over again. Plus, at some point I really do want to see what is out there with other lines, and how they compare to Carnival.

This is how we ended up trying Carnival. We love, love, love Royal Caribbean. But we chose Carnival last year because of Aruba and Curacao from Port Canaveral. We had a good experience so now we are on Carnival again this year.

I choose a cruise, based on price ( I cruise solo now ), as well as itinerary, and then where it sails from, ( how easy it is for me to get from my home city to the port of departure), and then ship.

Price, itinerary, port of departure, ship.

In 2013 when we booked our first cruise, we chose Carnival based on recommendations from friends who had been on the line and had personal experience. I did do research though and looked at Carnival, NCL, and Royal and ultimately chose Carnival based on personal reviews and what I call the "Cruise Trifecta." Three years later, DH and I have been on two Carnival cruises and are booked on the Vista for 2017. We've had wonderful experiences with Carnival and have no desire to switch lines at the moment. Would we? Sure, if there was a significant difference in price/itinerary/time and another line won out. But so far, Carnival has met or exceeded our expectations and we are happy.

That said.... when booking a cruise, we look at the following, in order. When all three come together, it is my Cruise Trifecta!

1. Time of Year

2. Itinerary

3. Price

Time of Year: Due to my job, there are only three times a year that I can cruise. Those are late May/early June, the beginning of August, and in December (I work for an afterschool/summer camp program so I'm on a school schedule). DH's availability is much more flexible so when we begin our cruise search, we usually start with mine.

Itinerary: We've realized we mostly cruise for the ports and the ship is secondary. We view cruising as an affordable means to travel, so our focus is usually on the ports and excursions offered. And I say usually because our upcoming Vista cruise is 50/50 on both the port and the ship -- we can't wait!

Price: The last item in the Cruise Trifecta is price. Cruising is affordable, but not necessarily cheap. So, I always make sure that we can comfortably afford the cruise and don't get in over our heads. Part of doing this is booking a year or more out so that we can make monthly payments to where the cost isn't so much at once. I also budget everything (cruise, excursions, travel, etc.) to make sure we can afford everything without straining our finances.

.....and when we have the perfect Cruise Trifecta, we book!

Edited by iheartmarshall

1. Level of formality - the higher the better

2. Quality (perceived if new to a line) of the passengers.

3. Dancing to a real dance band

4. Afternoon tea

5. Formality of the Dining Room

6. Quality of the food

7. Enrichment lectures

1. Level of formality - the higher the better

2. Quality (perceived if new to a line) of the passengers.

3. Dancing to a real dance band

4. Afternoon tea

5. Formality of the Dining Room

6. Quality of the food

7. Enrichment lectures

How did you even find this post?

1. Price
  2. Ship
  3. Itinerary
  4. Port
  5. Amenities
  6. Previous cruise line satisfaction

There are of course the list of things that we like to do on a cruise and some cruise lines and even ships within the same line do better than others.

We have not yet been loyal to any one cruise line and we've enjoyed cruising overall more because of it.

Carnival used to be my "go to" cruise line due to pricing and convenience. But my priorities have "evolved". Now, my deciding factors change from one cruise to another. Here's a look at my last few cruises:

- Grand Princess from Los Angeles. I wanted a more upscale experience to new destinations just for the wife and I in order to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

- Enchantment of the Seas from Port Canaveral: Needed a short family cruise that we could combine with a visit to Legoland Florida. Best deal out of all short cruises.

- Westerdam from Seattle - ALL about the itinerary to Alaska. Wanted Glacier Bay and Sitka. The kids sail free promo was a big bonus!

- Carnival Dream from Port Canaveral: Trip with the mother in law in tow [emoji55]. She had enough Carnival credit card points for a free cruise which limited our search to one cruise line. Dream was our choice due to new destinations and new class of ship for us.

- Allure of the Seas from Port Everglades - Wife was awarded a Caribbean cruise through her company. I hand picked this ship! Enough said!

Coming up:

- MSC Divina from Miami: Biggest deciding factor: PRICE! With a 2 for 1 balcony promo, a kids sail free promo, and a loyalty program match discount, the total cost of this cruise is less than half of a Carnival cruise for that same week! Royal is 3 times more expensive and Disney is 5 times more expensive!

- Anthem of the Seas from Bayonne - Another special cruise just for the wife and I. Nice, brand new innovative ship to a new destination from a new port of embarkation for us.

As you can see, we are not loyal to anybody, which is an absolute blessing because we can really expand our options. Like you, there was a time when I was happy on a fantasy class ship. I believed that the 4 nighter from Miami to Key West and Cozumel was the best cruise on this earth. But times have changed, I have changed and my travel priorities have as well. I'm no longer happy with one cruise line and one destination. [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi

Carnival used to be my "go to" cruise line due to pricing and convenience. But my priorities have "evolved". Now, my deciding factors change from one cruise to another. Here's a look at my last few cruises:

- Grand Princess from Los Angeles. I wanted a more upscale experience to new destinations just for the wife and I in order to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

- Enchantment of the Seas from Port Canaveral: Needed a short family cruise that we could combine with a visit to Legoland Florida. Best deal out of all short cruises.

- Westerdam from Seattle - ALL about the itinerary to Alaska. Wanted Glacier Bay and Sitka. The kids sail free promo was a big bonus!

- Carnival Dream from Port Canaveral: Trip with the mother in law in tow [emoji55]. She had enough Carnival credit card points for a free cruise which limited our search to one cruise line. Dream was our choice due to new destinations and new class of ship for us.

- Allure of the Seas from Port Everglades - Wife was awarded a Caribbean cruise through her company. I hand picked this ship! Enough said!

Coming up:

- MSC Divina from Miami: Biggest deciding factor: PRICE! With a 2 for 1 balcony promo, a kids sail free promo, and a loyalty program match discount, the total cost of this cruise is less than half of a Carnival cruise for that same week! Royal is 3 times more expensive and Disney is 5 times more expensive!

- Anthem of the Seas from Bayonne - Another special cruise just for the wife and I. Nice, brand new innovative ship to a new destination from a new port of embarkation for us.

As you can see, we are not loyal to anybody, which is an absolute blessing because we can really expand our options. Like you, there was a time when I was happy on a fantasy class ship. I believed that the 4 nighter from Miami to Key West and Cozumel was the best cruise on this earth. But times have changed, I have changed and my travel priorities have as well. I'm no longer happy with one cruise line and one destination. [emoji3]

I would like to try MSC. I've heard good things about the Divina and a coworker swears by it. They do have some amazing specials, but so far, I haven't sound anything out of Miami that works with my schedule.

For us it is:

Timing

Cruise length or ability to add on another cruise

itinary

Price

Ship size

Timing. I am going to school right now, so for probably the next five years, we will be limited to either Christmas break, or summer breaks.

Cruise length: We don't really live any were close to a port so we have decided that we must do more than 7 days (to justify the coast of air fare.) Ten days is nice or if we can find more than one 7 day cruise that will coincide with another. Doesn't matter if it's doing a true B2B or S2S like we will be doing this next December. Don't care if they are the same line either or even consider driving form FLL to MIA or even Port Canaveral.

Itinerary: Since we have't been cruising all that long, we are trying to see as many new ports as possible. Our first 2 cruises were of the same ports and that was ok too. Air fair was reasonable from the NW to SAN and LAX.

Price is important at this point in the game. We will consider any line if the price is right.

Ship size: Each cruise we have gone on a slightly larger ship. I'm not really wanting to go on the mega ships any time soon. I really don't want to sail with an entire city on one ship. That could change at any time if any/all of the above considerations are met :eek:

A variety of factors comes into play for us. We don't have many cruises under our belts but we've been sticking to Carnival and will probably do so for quite some time.

Timing - currently pregnant with our second, so we've already decided that we can't cruise until new baby is over a year old. Also have to take into account time of month, which needs to avoid beginning of the month for my job.

Ship - we love seeing all the new things on ships. My husband has already said he won't sail on a ship without Guy's Burgers.

Itinerary - nothing less than 7 days since we have to fly to port, anything less just doesn't seem worth it. We're also trying to hit new ports each time, or mostly new ports. So far on 3 cruises I haven't been to the same place twice. The cruise we're looking at next year will only duplicate one port.

To help coordinate, I've created a spreadsheet breaking down the home ports/amenities on each ship. Once we decide the month we want to cruise I start filling in the itineraries/prices of the cruises available and go from there.

1. Price, price and more price (do I have to fly?)

2. Ship and what kind of bells and whistles (especially for kids- water parks, rope courses, mini golf and then is the kids club serious or an afterthought.) Plenty of ships for adults but some just don't equal out for kids.

3. where does it go? We like certain ports others are just shipdays.

we have sailed Carnival, NCL, Royal, Celebrity, Cunard, MSC and a few defunct lines :o.

MSC and Carnival usually take #1 (even with NCL's packages- and their ports are often very meh)

Carnival and NCL have the best for # 2 on the list

Cunard wins #3 hands down.

We are just back from a Carnival cruise and I'm looking to book for next year. For some reason I'm thinking of Holland America this time, we usually mix up the lines, plus they still allow smoking on the balconies and DH has put up with having to go outside for a couple years now, so maybe I'll give him a break. The itinerary is probably most important, we've been everywhere Carnival sailes and I'm looking to go west this time. In 2018 we want to go back to Europe for our big 50th anniversary so that will mean another line, maybe Princess/ I always enjoy looking for something new, we went to a travel show recently and I got copies of brochures for all the major lines so I have the deck plans and intineraries at hand.

I understand the vacation issues. Its like why give me if it will be a hassle to use it. Gratefully, I cruise during the off season which is when less people are out from the office. Not sue that will be the case once my little guy turns 5 :eek:. When I consider a cruise, I look at the days first as I am finding that the price of a 5 day cost just as much as a 7 day.

Then I decide on the embarkation port and what ships leave from that port. Since I am in Texas, I have cruised out of Galveston a bunch of times, and those have been for the experience of the ship. I like going out of Florida as it yields a lot of options.

I investigate the ships. I like the new ships ( those in conquest class and above). Once I have chosen about two possible, then I move on to the itinerary.

I try not to got book itineraries out of FL that I can go to out of TX.

Check prices and then wait on the specials to roll out. I like taking advantage of the discount deposits.

I do not have to have a balcony or Ocean view but that may change.

Anyway...thats my little spill. :D

For me the first thing is price, I cruise solo about 1/2 the time and that 200% supplement gets old fast, although RCI gives double cruise points. I had my first not so fantastic cruise in October, so I am coming back to Carnival for a bit. I also am trying the studio cabins and NCL for the first time. I search on the different cruise lines website until something strikes me. I love the different ships and what each has to offer, and will choose a ship over an itinerary almost every time. Looking forward to Guys Burgers on the Vista.

I consider several factors. I first have to consider dates that will coincide when I can take time from work and an embarkation port we can drive to. I then search with dates and ports and begin looking at prices for cruises with appealing ports of call (We like Eastern and Southern Carribean the best; Don't like Bahamas or Mexico). I usually start the search with Carnival, but once I find something I like, I check out other lines too. Carnival is almost always the best bargain though for the cruises we like.

We choose to sail out of LA. Mostly Carnival and Princess these days. Price and itin. Sailed almost every combination of MR cruises, 2 to 13 days. Mom won't fly and DH doesn't need the stress of schlepping to the airport.

Mom was seriously considering Princess (cheaper than Carnival) for HI but she was afraid she'd be traveling in a 'home'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, you technically always have the option of flying to a port. I live in NH and could easily drive to the ports in Boston, NYC, or even Baltimore, but that would severely reduce my choices for itineraries. So I choose to fly to other ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True but would like the option of not having to fly to a port. Sometimes flights can be a no go. There is 3 of us and sometimes booking reasonable flights to Fl includes pulling Getti mind tricks to get a descent price, then add the cost of hotel stay pre cruise. I also live in Texas and the itineraries are basically the same for both ships which gets boring. The closest place to drive would be NOLA which is about a 5 hour drive.

Micahs Grandad- The whole reason for a vacation is to get away from it all and the reason why we love cruises because his work doesn't know he gets internet (he does check his work emails only). Trust me, on our land based vacations he is always working, I never forget we flew to Vegas last year and the moment we stepped off the plane his phone was ringing...needless to say the entire time in the cab, check in at the hotel, getting a bite to eat and drink he was on that same work call...still went on for hours while sitting at the slot machine until late at night. He always gets calls on land based trips so we love our cruises and its a vacation why work...work isn't going anywhere so he gets back home and has more work to catch up but at least he had a real vacation which is away from work.

I can understand. It hard for me to disconnect from work on a land basis trip. I like cruising because I can literally say that I can not be on my phone or i will not have service.