Noro Virus. Queen Elizabeth. 30th March 2016

slhw

Fortunately at the level of cruising I do being on the receiving end of someone's vomit as demonstrated in your link is akin to my ticket winning the national lottery this evening.

I'll just continue with the personal hygiene practices that have been my benchmark for the last 50 years and have served me well for in excess of 58 cruises.

Oh, and how I wish all cruise lines have what Oceania has in their public toilets, door handle napkins/wipes...

26129127926_961a7d553d_z.jpg

A great innovation for those who have the nous to use them.

Thank you both, norovirus is caught by ingesting it. This is not widely known, one of our table companions was really concerned that she would be able to catch it from the air conditioning. I was hopefully able to put her mind at rest.

The best way to avoid this unpleasant virus is very strict hand hygiene.

Also most people don't realise how often they touch their face or mouth during an average day, this is to be avoided during a norovirus outbreak.

What a good idea, door handle napkins!!

Thank you both, norovirus is caught by ingesting it. This is not widely known, one of our table companions was really concerned that she would be able to catch it from the air conditioning. I was hopefully able to put her mind at rest.

The best way to avoid this unpleasant virus is very strict hand hygiene.

Also most people don't realise how often they touch their face or mouth during an average day, this is to be avoided during a norovirus outbreak.

What a good idea, door handle napkins!!

Hi Paphoslady.

They were and i used them every time but you wouldn't believe how many 'chaps' I noticed ignoring the facility.

Quite amazing.

Noro virus can't be inhaled, It has to be ingested by swallowing, as well of course by hand to mouth. Many public toilets in new builds now have door less access which must help. Possibly the next Cunarder?

David.

I understand you and others maintain the belief Noro virus can't be inhaled, despite evidence to indicate otherwise. Simply put, the virus becomes airborne when someone vomits and those particles can be inhaled by someone within a certain proximity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/noroviruses-may-spread-through-the-air/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/298443.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3204795/Sick-Vomitting-robot-throws-green-Jell-o-quickly-norovirus-spreads-AIR.html

But don't believe me, do your own research - and please share studies that support your opinion. Thank you. -S.

Loved the idea of admirals hand washing Salacia!

We are currently aboard QE. No one has specifically mentioned the N word but for the first two days no condiments,milk, sugar on tables.All drinks and food served in the buffet. There was another in the laundrette asking passengers to wash clothes on the highest setting " in view of the continued increase in gastro intestinal cases" Also the cabin stewards carts have huge packets of disposable J CLoth types cloths as well as a mound of washable ones.

Personally I think it would have been better to tell us and emphasise the need for personal hygiene as there are still,people skipping the many bottles of hand gel.

Hi Paphoslady. They were and i used them every time but you wouldn't believe how many 'chaps' I noticed ignoring the facility. Quite amazing.
On my previous Cunard voyages I have seen paper towels/tissues (and a bin) placed next to the exit in the "gents". I have always used them to open the door, but like you I am amazed by the number of guys who don't.

I've noted guys spend a long time washing and scrubbing, and drying... and then unthinkingly grabbing the door handle with an unprotected hand :confused: .

The alternative to having no door (a chicane instead) is an electrically operated door, worked by a foot pad or infrared beam system; seen both used in buildings.

Here's to everyone's good health on board your next Cunard trip.

Edited by pepperrn

On my previous Cunard voyages I have seen paper towels/tissues (and a bin) placed next to the exit in the "gents". I have always used them to open the door, but like you I am amazed by the number of guys who don't.

I've noted guys spend a long time washing and scrubbing, and drying... and then unthinkingly grabbing the door handle with an unprotected hand :confused: .

The alternative to having no door (a chicane instead) is an electrically operated door, worked by a foot pad or infrared beam system; seen both used in buildings.

Here's to everyone's good health on board your next Cunard trip.

Well put and thank you for elucidating my very thoughts.

It's all real down to personal hygiene but there are measures that the cruise lines can put in place.

Thanks Salacia

Very interesting articles, however a quote from one

"It is not surprising that the virus may be suspended in the air, but it does not mean that it will infect other people this way."

The majority of people will not have caught this virus by being in close proximity to someone vomiting, I think it very unlikely that the virus is spread through the air conditioning.

It comes back to making sure that all precautions are taken to stop people ingesting the virus.

I think we are getting confused here. As the guidance here makes plain, a case of vomiting in a room will result in particles spreading, though not very far within the room and it is possible to swallow or inhale these.

As a previous poster stated, not a very likely probability. That's it basically, I can't find any research confirming airborne Noro virus in a building (or ship)

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l~cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l-app5~cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l-app5.2

David.

I think we are getting confused here. As the guidance here makes plain, a case of vomiting in a room will result in particles spreading, though not very far within the room and it is possible to swallow or inhale these.

As a previous poster stated, not a very likely probability. That's it basically, I can't find any research confirming airborne Noro virus in a building (or ship)

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l~cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l-app5~cda-cdna-norovirus.htm-l-app5.2

David.

Ahem.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/Docs/Evidence_for_Airborne_Transmission_of_Norwalk-like_Virus.pdf

As close to confirmation as you might get in admittedly an anecdotal report. It includes a layout of the affected room illustrating higher incidence of infection for people seated closer to the sick woman who vomited.

SUMMARY

An outbreak of gastroenteritis followed a meal in a large hotel during which one of the diners vomited. The clinical features of the illness suggested Norwalk-like virus (NLV, small round structured virus) infection, and this was confirmed by electron microscopy and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT–PCR) of stool samples. Further characterization of the virus by nucleotide sequence analysis of the PCR amplicons revealed identical strains in all the affected individuals. The foods served at the meal could not be demonstrated to be the cause of the outbreak. Analysis of attack rates by dining table showed an inverse relationship with the distance from the person who vomited. No one eating in a separate restaurant reported illness. Transmission from person-to-person or direct contamination of food seems unlikely in this outbreak. However, the findings are consistent with airborne spread of NLV with infection by inhalation with subsequent ingestion of virus particles.

Edited by Underwatr