What has changed or is new about cruising?

Cookie2boys

It's been 4 years since I have cruised or really taken time to study these boards. What are some of the things that has changed as of January 2012. I keep reading about The American Table. What is it and what is different on the menu. I know about your room getting serviced once a day now. What else should I be looking forward to or not be looking forward to. This will be my family's 7th cruise and we will be cruising in August. It will be a surprise graduation gift for my son. Thanks in advance for any replies.

to add to hftmrocks list:Changes to the past guest party. Only Plat and Diamond.

Some interesting items have been banded such as inflatable pools and wagons. You might want to check Carnivals FAQ for a full list.

Liquor pick up the morning of debark rather than delivered to your stateroom.

Supposedly on ships asking if you want once a day service you can still get morning and evening but people have reported room stewards giving some pushback about 2x per day.

Also production shows being replaced with playlist productions which many think are greatly inferior to the old style shows

I was just going to search this topic... great minds. Our last cruise was 2011.

Do gold past guests get anything to replace past guest party?

Yes you get a complimentary drink on the last evening of 5 day or longer cruises. I'm glad they did this. Never attended the parties so we prefer the drink.

Edited by Podna's