Splendor Skipped Costa Maya this Week

lbrandon

We sailed on the NCL Dawn this week and arrived in Costa Maya at the same time as Carnival Splendour and HAL Veendam. We docked first followed by the HAL ship. They delayed our disembarkation to allow the port crew to dock the Splendour but then let us get off the ship as Carnival still hadn't docked. It looked like Carnival circled a few times and then decided to skip the port.

We were just wondering if there was a problem with a ship. We were talking to another couple from the HAL ship and they said they heard Carnival skips Costa Maya often. It was a nice port and I'd hate to get all the way there and see other ships be able to dock and then turn around and leave.

We sailed on the NCL Dawn this week and arrived in Costa Maya at the same time as Carnival Splendour and HAL Veendam. We docked first followed by the HAL ship. They delayed our disembarkation to allow the port crew to dock the Splendour but then let us get off the ship as Carnival still hadn't docked. It looked like Carnival circled a few times and then decided to skip the port.

We were just wondering if there was a problem with a ship. We were talking to another couple from the HAL ship and they said they heard Carnival skips Costa Maya often. It was a nice port and I'd hate to get all the way there and see other ships be able to dock and then turn around and leave.

Just read a review where the poster said they were told it was cancelled due to high winds. Interesting! ??

I just saw that review. It was VERY windy. The NCL ship docked first. We were inside so I can't say how long that process actually took us. The HAL ship had to circle a few times before it made it into the dock.

Wondering why the two other ships were able to dock and the Carnival ship could not???? HIGH Wind would have been a factor for all three unless the exact docking location for the Carnival ship was a problem. :confused:

We have been twice on Carnival....once docked fine, 2nd time docked - people were ready to leave ship and we left dock.....we were told due to high winds ship was damaging dock and local authorities made them leave....we actually got a reduction off next cruise because missed 2 ports due to high winds.

Wondering why the two other ships were able to dock and the Carnival ship could not???? HIGH Wind would have been a factor for all three unless the exact docking location for the Carnival ship was a problem. :confused:

There are many reasons that could have arose. It might have gotten more windy, it could be that the two ships had the best docking points and the remaining were more precarious, it could be that the two ships created a tunnel effect for the wind into the spot the Carnival ship was going into. I could go on....

There are many reasons that could have arose. It might have gotten more windy, it could be that the two ships had the best docking points and the remaining were more precarious, it could be that the two ships created a tunnel effect for the wind into the spot the Carnival ship was going into. I could go on....

Please do. An experienced mariner's perspective is always welcome.

That's sort of what I was thinking about the "docking location" being a factor. You explain it better so please do go on ....

LuLu

If the winds were broadside, maybe Carnival was on the side getting pushed into the dock while the others were getting pushed away from the dock. Someone did say Hal had to circle before their approach.

If the winds were broadside, maybe Carnival was on the side getting pushed into the dock while the others were getting pushed away from the dock. Someone did say Hal had to circle before their approach.

Wouldn't be the first time Carnival has been pushed into another ship and crashed. They may be a little gun shy now.

HAL did circle twice and they were able to go straight into their dock. NCL was on the dock and they backed in. The Splendor had to back in on the inside of NCL between the ship and the shore and the wind and current were going against the boat. This was my first time to Costa Maya but it looked like there was a very small area for the ship to back into. With some rocky waters close by the shore

Was aboard the Carnival Splendor for this. The NCL and the Holland America ship had the two easier docks to pull into. Splendor had the inside dock. Was up top watching they were in constant communication with us citing high winds and strong currents as the reason for difficulty. After a couple passes- we were told the pilot was coming aboard to attempt docking.

After that another attempt it was announced with safety for all in mind we would not be docking and we're heading back to Cozumel to accommodate a medical emergency.

Edited by shortstop95

We were there last year an docked, but had to leave while 2 other ships had already docked. The problem was we were on the long side of the pier catching the wind and waves on the broad side of the ship. Even with the huge fenders there was a risk of damage to the ship. The two docked ships were taking the wind and waves on the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No mechanical issues... Purely weather related. The dock assigned was not doable for the ship due to wind/current and it was a judgement call. Splendor is larger than the other 2 ships docked there... Although it stinks to miss a port after being so close... Safety is the first priority and had they attempted and something happen, this would be an entirely different thread!

I've been to Costa Maya 6 times, once on Carnival and 5 times on Norwegian and never missed docking. Apparently, Norwegian has priority on the best spot, which is the outer part of the L shaped dock, not the part that runs straight to land.

The part that runs straight to land is the 2nd best place to dock and the inner part of the L is the hardest place to dock in, especially in the wind.

I have been there when waves were blowing over the dock in places on the outer part of the L and you had to watch for the waves before you crossed that part but 2 ships were still able to dock in the 2 best spots.

It is rare for 3 ships to visit Costa Maya on the same day, but if there are 3 and you are on Carnival, you will usually get the worst docking spot.

If visiting Costa Maya is of great importance to you on Carnival, then you might want to check the Cruise TT schedule to see how many ships will be in port that day and not book a day when 3 ships are scheduled to be in port.

I've been to Costa Maya 6 times, once on Carnival and 5 times on Norwegian and never missed docking. Apparently, Norwegian has priority on the best spot, which is the outer part of the L shaped dock, not the part that runs straight to land.

The part that runs straight to land is the 2nd best place to dock and the inner part of the L is the hardest place to dock in, especially in the wind.

In December on the Valor, we had the "best" spot on the outer part of the L, while NCL (I believe Sun) had the part perpendicular to land.

I can see how getting a third ship to the "inner" part of the L would require quite a bit of maneuvering and why they wouldn't want to do that in any amount of wind.

The pier isn't excessively long in Costa Maya, and I can understand how it could get ugly quick with a large ship blowing around between the shore and the inner part of that pier.

What I don't understand is why Carnival gets stuck at the worst docking position. I thought I remember hearing/reading that Carnival built this dock. We were on the 3/20 Splendor cruise that missed docking and it was disappointing. We've been there twice before on Carnival and never had an issue.

What I don't understand is why Carnival gets stuck at the worst docking position. I thought I remember hearing/reading that Carnival built this dock. We were on the 3/20 Splendor cruise that missed docking and it was disappointing. We've been there twice before on Carnival and never had an issue.

I don't think it was built by Carnival. It was created back in 2001 by a developer and we docked there in 2002 on a RCCL ship (back when there was basically nothing there but a few huts and a pool).