Maasdam Carnival/Amazon 2016..disappointing

los cruceros

To sum up,

You found the behaviour of one of your Cabin Stewards inappropriate.

Could you please give more detail, as inappropriate for one person/culture is friendly for another...

You had an issue with your toilet. ( a common complaint onboard the older HAL vessels) 5 days of not working toilet is indeed a very serious issue and one I would not tolerate.

The food was not up to your liking.

Food is always subjective, but portion control when the food is all inclusive and when you are free to take as many portions as you want, is actually a GOOD thing. US "supersized" portions are frankly ridiculous.

The stewards on my previous 476 days of cruising on HAL were very nice.

The food was not up to the standard that I have come to expect from previous HAL cruises...and rotten fruit is never acceptable.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the show?"

Seriously though, with respect to the small portions served in the Lido, you certainly are at liberty to take two or three portions of cottage cheese, mueslix, etc. If you have an allergy, select something else! We loved having our salads made for us, selecting what we wanted, and carrying on with our meal.

My confusion is with the fact that your cabin steward showed up in the Lido and were "hit on" again. Unless he was relieved of his duties as a cabin steward, he wouldn't have time to work the Lido; they hit the floor running maintaining cabins for the full hours of their shifts. :confused:

You had to use the tub as a toilet? I would have been sitting at the front office (camping out, if necessary) to get it fixed on day 1 before I ever considered using the tub. Hmmm.

Please let us know what kind of response you receive from HAL.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Necissity called. Could not hold it long enough to get to front desk...and MANY cabins had the same problem...the plumbers worked on it for 5 days until the problem was solved.

I'm guessing the crew lined up to wave goodbye to you

on debarkation.

Time for you to find a new cruise line that's perfect.

READ

This cruise was not up to the standards that HAl had offered and that I enjoyed on my previous 476 days of cruising HAL Not looking for perfection!

Some people on a cruise are only happy if there are things that make them unhappy. With all the things that weren't right on this cruise, this guest must have been deliriously happy.

Seriously though, the complaint about the goldfish, the complaint about the room steward/Lido steward hitting on her and the complaint about the size of portions on an all included cruise lost me. I'm guessing it will have the same effect on HAL.

Perhaps their reply will be "Maybe Holland America isn't for you. "

After 476 days of sailing on HAL, I thought it was a great cruise line until this last cruise---as I said HAL was not up to its usual high standards that I enjoyed on previous cruises..

I think the above quote may have hit the nail squarely on the head. Apparently the OP had a disappointing sailing on Zuiderdam on 4/20/12 also. An email to corporate netted a nice upgrade on a future sailing.

Perhaps OP should try a different line since HAL is clearly a disappointment. It is fortunate that there are so many options available.

My deceased husband wrote that letter to Stein Kruse...no upgrade...

We also were on this same cruise. I also posted about some of the problems we encountered. There where a lot of problems with the plumbing. Some of her complaints about the food are true, I've also complained about the coffee in the Lido. Non of the problems voiced by her & others during the cruise took away from what was a excellent experience. Over all we loved & enjoyed the cruise.

Allan

As I stated in the beginning...Ports were great as was entertainment and the majority of the staff... I enjoyed that part of the cruise. BUT the food was very dissapointing, compared to previous HAL cruises.

Hit on by the room steward, could this perhaps be wishful thinking.:D Maybe this was added to add fuel to the fire poster hoped it would start at headquarters. If we have a problem on a cruise we make sure to make note of it and see that it is reported if it is warranted. After that we continue to make lemonade out of the lemons.

Along with man who sued Hal and won..for walking into the automatic door by the Lido pool, therewas a news artivle about a woman suing HAL for being raped in her cabin by a cabin strward.....

I would have ignored it...but thought to cut this in the bud after the 2nd hit...

But the question is, was HAL notified of her allergies beforehand? The list of complaints do not say "after informing" the Dining Room Manager or HAL of the allergies, they did not accommodate her. The list of complaints lead the reader to believe that she had not told HAL of the potential issues and just expected them to know and have accommodation set up. I realize that is frustrating and potentially dangerous for people with allergies, but the individual has to bear a good bit of the responsibility to alerting HAL to the issues.

I'm not doubting there were issues, and I totally believe a steward was inappropriately friendly, but if HAL did not know about the passenger's allergies, they could not have made changes for the passenger. And while the original poster may have informed the proper people/departments, there was no indication of that in the list of complaints.

The allergies had never been a problem before on HAL, as they offered a wide variety of fresh ripe fruit. And when I mentioned it to Breakfast chef on duty the floor..he said ask girl at counter for somethng. I took his suggestion...Askked for some pineapple. She huffed and whinedd But, I have to go downstaiirs to get it¨ But she did. but did not wish to inconvience her again..

All of the points, including.... and especially the 'steward's conduct' should have been know and to the Hotel Manager on that first day. If food was not up to par... again, tell the hotel manager in writing. The Hotel Manager is THE representative of the company. If you want results.... then go to President. Too late to do anything then.

7. At breakfast the next morning in the Lido…once again hit on by cabin steward who was working the Lido.

8. I reported him to front office when I recalled that HAL is being sued by a woman who was raped in her cabin.

No explanation from the GRM or Hotel Manager? Did they immediately have that steward removed from your cabin for the rest of the cruise? I recalled that HAL is being sued by a woman who was raped in her cabin Hmmm....

easy way to make some money? What did the husband about this? I don't think any husband would allow that go pass.

If you stay in a Hilton and you have issues, do you wait for weeks to write to the President of Hilton or do you go straight to the Manager in the ground?

Actually came down with conjuntivitis after using hot tub(my fault too use it) which developed into a viral infection of the cornea and could not focus eye and exhausting to try to type one eyed. I am better, but still under opthomolgist care.

Any credibility OP may have had (with me) up to that point was lost when she commented, "9. Coffee was burnt and/or left over from the night before---undrinkable…HAL has always served good coffee." (Bolding added.) As anyone who has cruised HAL within the last 20 years can confirm, the one thing HAL ships cannot be legitimately accused of is having "good coffee" in the Lido.

Nice try, OP, but no cigar!!!

I agree on coffee for the first 476 days that I have cruised on HAL, BUT TTHIS TIME IT WAS BURNT OR LEFT OVER....not up to HAL´s standards....which is what disappointed me on all items..

I agree with your comments that would be applicable in most cases. However, an earlier post from a CC member indicated that the OP had sent a list of complaints to Holland America a few years ago that resulted in a four category upgrade. Another post from the 0P indicated that she would never sail on Holland America again. I just feel that Holland America might decide that that was a good decision on her part that both parties could live with.

Once again my deceased husband wrote that letter...NO UPGRADE WAS OFFERED. i DID NOT WRITE THIS LETTER LOOKING FOR ANY COMPENSATION. i THOUGHT MAYBE THE CORPORATE OFFICE WAS UNAWARE OF WHAt was happening on the ship.

How do you know this? What have you witnessed? After taking cultural differences into account?

Are you saying that I was wrong, that I do not know when a man is hitting on me? Are you saying that I do not know when I'm uncomfortable in a particular situation? Uncomfortable has nothing to do with cultural differences -- it has to do with feeling uncomfortable. I did not report the encounter because in hindsight I may have misunderstood the situation, but I know when I'm uncomfortable and having a bar server sit down at the table with me and try to read my journal and not understand when I said no is uncomfortable.

I'm glad it's never happened to you. But I know what I experienced.

Are you saying that I was wrong, that I do not know when a man is hitting on me? Are you saying that I do not know when I'm uncomfortable in a particular situation? Uncomfortable has nothing to do with cultural differences -- it has to do with feeling uncomfortable. I did not report the encounter because in hindsight I may have misunderstood the situation, but I know when I'm uncomfortable and having a bar server sit down at the table with me and try to read my journal and not understand when I said no is uncomfortable.

Inappropriate behavior; cornering me by the night stand between bed a wall, touching and seductive whispers the he can satsify all my needs...blunt enough!

Thank-you for sharing these most unfortunate experiences. I am sorry that this has happened to you both. Very inappropriate behaviour.

It angers me also that some posters appear to take the position that you are not to be believed. It is almost as if nothing bad can ever happen to anyone on a HAL cruise as the crew are all above reproach, yet we know from past experiences that atrocities have been inflicted upon passengers by crew members.

I also know that a woman traveling solo faces very different challenges than a man traveling solo or a woman accompanied by a man. It isn't right, nor is it fair, and sadly, it isn't going to change anytime soon.

I think everyone needs to take a breath --

These are personal observations - No right or wrong on either side.

Responses are based on personal opinion

Sorry for a bad cruise - Hope it never happens again- We've heard some great ways to deal with it.

Non of this will keep me from cruising but I know what I'll do if I ever have any of these issues but if I do - I have an idea of what to do

I am paying for an expensive trip but on Holland not the top - so I have expectations but not over the top -

Thanks - be nice

In my experience on HAL it has been common for room stewards to work the Lido at breakfast,...

See, it's statements like this that bring all of your comments into disbelief. Cabin stewards and dining stewards work in completely different departments. Especially during breakfast, cabin stewards are far too busy cleaning rooms to be seen anywhere else.

See, it's statements like this that bring all of your comments into disbelief. Cabin stewards and dining stewards work in completely different departments. Especially during breakfast, cabin stewards are far too busy cleaning rooms to be seen anywhere else.

Sort of changing the subject, but sorta not. What is the pecking order for a service professional on the cruise? In other words, is it possible to be a cabin steward and "putting" in for a job/promotiom in the MDR and as part of the training they assign them to the breakfast meal which is much less stressful than a dinner position? Just wondering.....

dave

Holland America CC regulars are way too quick to pounce on anyone reporting substandard issues.

There have been countless posts from countless people about the older ships and plumbing problems.

The OP has four hundred plus days on HAL and I believe her reports on declining food and bad coffee. She has a strong basis of comparison.

As far as an employee hitting on a passenger I have a story I've never shared. We were on a cruise with our then college aged kids and one of the entertainers was hitting on my lovely daughter. It started in the pool and buffet areas when he was overly attentive and over friendly to her. He seemed to always be where she was but he seemed like a real friendly guy. Then we attended his show, sitting down front. The next day he approached her at the pool and complimented her on the dress she had worn to the show. He told her he was disappointed that she hadn't stopped to see him after the show as he had invited her to do so.

At this point my daughter's instincts took over, she felt he had been stalking her. She told him to get lost and that was the end of it.

No, we did not report it.

Once again my deceased husband wrote that letter...NO UPGRADE WAS OFFERED. i DID NOT WRITE THIS LETTER LOOKING FOR ANY COMPENSATION. i THOUGHT MAYBE THE CORPORATE OFFICE WAS UNAWARE OF WHAt was happening on the ship.

I am sorry you have been attacked for your views. Some I imagine was meant as constructive criticism on how to write an effective letter, but some is what comes up after a critical post on most of the CC boards from loyalists.

It discourages critical posts of any kind which can be informative for the rest of us.

Sort of changing the subject, but sorta not. What is the pecking order for a service professional on the cruise? In other words, is it possible to be a cabin steward and "putting" in for a job/promotiom in the MDR and as part of the training they assign them to the breakfast meal which is much less stressful than a dinner position? Just wondering.....

dave

Seems like a reasonable idea. Even if it's not a promotion, I'd imagine that cross training could be practical for management, even more so if there have been reductions in staffing. I'm sure there would be special training though, especially for any worker moving into a food service area.

Glad to see some constructive, non-crucifying posts. It never ceases to amaze me how so many many HAL CC-ers have never had anything but an absolutely perfect cruise with nary a mis-step and cross-examine anyone who dares to post anything critical of a ship or HAL. As to crew "coming on" to passengers, oh yes it does happen. And remember, a ship is much like anywhere on land, good and bad everywhere. Not all angels.

dave

Yes, when I asked my cabin steward how come she was working the Lido...her response was to get training for an advancement in position

I suspect the poster who questioned you missed the post in which you indicated it was from personal experience.

I, too, would find that uncomfortable.

Inappropriate behavior; cornering me by the night stand between bed a wall, touching and seductive whispers the he can satsify all my needs...blunt enough!

I think that such behavior can be safely classified as inappropriate!