Renting a taxi in Cozumel & Grand Cayman

I wouldn't even know how to reserve a cab in any port. But yes, there are many cabs waiting for your business. This is how they make their money so you will have your choice of them. Ask how much to where you want to go. If the price is high say thanks and ask the next cabbie. This will get a lower price from the 1st you ask.

Also go to your Roll Call here on CC and see what others are doing. We have taken tours with people we meet on our Roll Call. You can email each other here and often their is a meet & greet top met each other.

I too wouldn't know how to reserve a taxi in these ports and there is no reason to do that. Very easy to get taxis. Cozumel they are right there at each terminal area as you are exiting the secured area and very easy after you get off the tender at Grand Cayman.

Negotiate your rate up front. I prefer when we negotiate a rate so they stay with us the entire time. That way I have leverage getting back to the ship.

Keith

We are first time cruisers -can anyone tell us if we should make reservations for a taxi for these two ports? Reviews from cruisers seem to imply there are plenty of taxis available; however, we wonder if it is prudent to reserve prior to our trip.

Plenty of taxis available, no need to reserve in advance.

We are first time cruisers -can anyone tell us if we should make reservations for a taxi for these two ports? Reviews from cruisers seem to imply there are plenty of taxis available; however, we wonder if it is prudent to reserve prior to our trip.

A couple of years ago we hired a "Private Driver". One of the best "excursions" we ever did.

You can do your research on Cozumel, and tell your driver what you would like to do, and away you go.

A MUST is to do the "wild side" and have a meal at one of the many bars and restaurants.

We ate here, Playa Bonita:

_DSC0255.jpg

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

Thanks to everyone; that was my first post and you all were very helpful. We've reviewed things to do in ports and even saw there are taxi companies where you can reserve ahead, some even get good reviews from TripAdvisor; however, we prefer the suggestions of bargaining for a price and keeping the driver with us. Thank you!!!

We rented a car in Cozumel the first time we went and it was totally not worth it. It was interesting to drive around the island loop, but I wouldn't do it again unless I was staying for a long time. The car was expensive and very sketchy. I took pics all around it because I was worried they were going to say we made the dings. I was scared it was going to break down the whole time. Also, you don't have that much time in port. It took awhile to get our car. I'd rather take a cab and enjoy one place as long as possible.

Last time, we took taxi to the money bar and snorkeled and ate. It was about $12 each way. They had taxis waiting when we left. It was so much easier. I haven't been to grand Cayman but we're going to take the bus. It's only 2.50 to ride the bus and they come by often. You can even flag it down if you are standing by road and it will stop.

I haven't been to grand Cayman but we're going to take the bus. It's only 2.50 to ride the bus and they come by often. You can even flag it down if you are standing by road and it will stop.

We did this very thing in the Grand Cayman's last fall. We were on a ship excursion to the turtle farm, seen all we wanted to see & do there and knew we wanted to go to "HELL." Talked to our guide from the tour told him what we wanted to do and he took us right outside in front of the Turtle Farm and flagged down a bus for us and told the driver we were wanting to go to "Hell." Since we were the only ones on the bus, the driver took us straight there and said, ok take your pictures then lets get you back to the ship. We said no no no, we want to get off and look around, shop and go back after while, he said ok, no problem, buses come by here every 15 minutes or so, just flag one down. After we were done seeing the sights and shopping we went out front and waited for about 5 minutes and seen a bus, flagged him down and we were on our way back to port. We stopped and picked up 2 other passengers but it didn't really take any longer than if we had taken a taxi. By the way, the taxi's & the buses look the same, the only difference is the license plates, and I, for the life of me, can't remember what that difference is. To wrap it all up, the bus driver told us it would be $4 for the trip from the Turtle Farm to Hell, so we gave him a $5 and said keep it, he was thrilled, said he never gets tips on the bus. We did the same on the trip back to port. So maybe when we were there in the fall it was only $2 and now the price has gone up to $2.50, but still, very cheap transportation and both drivers were friendly and glad we were spending our money in their great country.