Looking for Advice

ej1970

Hi my husband and I are celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary July 2017 and we would really love to a Paul Guaguin Cruise, I just have a few questions so I hope someone can help. We have cruised with Royal Carribean and Carnival so this cruise will be completely different.

We are not party animals but do enjoy entertainment at night time, we like listening to live bands and always enjoy the piano bars on the cruise ships, what is the entertainment like on PG cruises, I understand that it will be low key but it is enough to keep you entertained.

We are looking at either the 15th or 26th July cruises, the 15th has an overnight in Bora Bora, (Bora Bora is the main reason for me doing the cruise) whereas the 26th only has the one day there and as the 26th July is a reunion cruise there is a gala dinner and other extras on this cruise.

I am not sure which one to book, the extra night in Bora Bora or the extra activities on the Reunion cruise, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

We are booked on the reunion cruise and it will be out 5th PG cruise. Either of your choices are excellent. If you can do a couple of nights prior or after the reunion cruise on Moorea I would choose that one. As you see Moorea and Bora Bora are 1 night each on the reunion cruise. Spending a few extra nights on Moorea is great and the ferry is inexpensive at about $30 USD roundtrip (if you went to Bora Bora the flight alone is $450 pp roundtrip).

While Bora Bora is spectacular you do get a good full day to visit and can easily take one of many great lagoon snorkel tours. The motu at Taha'a is great and the extra day there is well worth it on the reunion cruise.

The last reunion was great fun. The staff go all out.

The Gala dinner was great as well.

Aitutaki is gorgeous.

The piano bar is a nice place to grab a drink prior to dinner and la palette has a live band most nights. I am also going to request a 60s night as well.

There will be a magician, the cruise director entertains one night, the Gauguines entertain at least two times, the crew puts on a wonderful show that is well worth watching plus on the last night the number one dance group comes in to put on a great show.

The piano bar has great music prior to dinner and after there is always something going on in the evening.

We try to make every evening event in the Grand Salon.

Thank you all for the replies, I am going to book the reunion cruise. It will be a wonderful way to celebrate my wedding anniversary. Flightmedic55 I will certainly look at spending a few days in Moorea it looks beautiful.

Thanks again

You have to stay a day or two in moorea,It just gorgeous.

long cruiser

Just wondering what your favorite things to do on Moorea & places to eat as we will be there for 2 days before our 6/1/2016 cruise, plus the 2 cruise days there. I am sure the OP would be interested as well. Thanks.

Just wondering what your favorite things to do on Moorea & places to eat as we will be there for 2 days before our 6/1/2016 cruise, plus the 2 cruise days there. I am sure the OP would be interested as well. Thanks.

We spent several days on Moorea before our PG cruise. We stayed at the IC. Lots of nice snorkeling in a loop around the place right from our bungalow. We also arranged two excursions through the hotel - a sunset catamaran cruise (we were the only passengers on the boat). We also did the “3 Coconuts” hike (with a guide). We were the only people on that excursion, too. It left from the Belvedere, so we got those views, along with great ones from the top of the saddle where we found ourselves after several muddy, slippery miles. The guide also pointed out plants of interest. I am so glad we did this hike by ourselves rather than with a group through the PG. Never hike in a group. Too many people slow you down, degrade the experience, and there's always at least a few who have vastly over-estimated their hiking abilities. My $0.02.

On the cruise days, we did we did 2 ship’s tours. The first was a catamaran ride with snorkeling (mainly, it was a cat ride, which was lovely). Only 8 people on the trip. The 2nd day, we did the dolphin watching with Dr. Michael Poole – a great trip to take. Some rain this day, but nothing that stopped anything from happening.

Edited by azevedan

we like listening to live bands and always enjoy the piano bars on the cruise ships,

Lets hope the PG gets a good band, from what I hear Santa Rosa is done with the PG very soon. If only Siglo could come back, but I think the problem with the bands and the PG is they want the band to do other duties other than just play and any band worth while it wears on them and they move on....

Lets hope the PG gets a good band, from what I hear Santa Rosa is done with the PG very soon. If only Siglo could come back, but I think the problem with the bands and the PG is they want the band to do other duties other than just play and any band worth while it wears on them and they move on....

Siglo is with Norwegian. Not enough to tempt me to sail with them, but I do miss them, although papa died a few years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other duties". On every ship I've been on the bands show up here, there, and everywhere in various configurations. I've never seen any band members polishing the brightwork or swabbing the decks.

Where are you staying? That will influence where you're going to eat. And whether you have a car, although most of the major restaurants will chauffeur you to their place for dinner. There are grocery stores around too, for stocking up on beer and baguettes, if you so wish.

As for activities, the excursions are offered everywhere, through the hotels, at the docks, even in the airport in Tahiti. Look at what you might do while you're on the ship, and whether you want to stick to ship-sponsored excursions or not. Then look at what's available locally.

We are doing 3 nights pre-cruise in Moorea again in December, and we will probably do very little during that time, other than paddle about off shore, drive around a bit, eat, drink and sit there looking at the water.

My favorite excursions on Moorea are Poole's dolphin and/or whale watching (depends on season), a sunset sailboat ride if available, catamaran with snorkeling, and a 4x4 ride. Any vehicle tour will include the Belvedere, which is obligatory.