So many upsells...

I have been noticing an inordinate amount of upsells calls/ offers on Haven lately - often on the larger ships (-Aways and maybe some Escape).

Is NCL having difficulty selling these cabins outright?

Just wondering. Also curious if Haven/ suites are seen as less desirable on certain ships/itineraries?

...unless this is a ploy to get ppl into these Haven suites at lower prices (maybe some who haven't experienced it before) in an attempt to get them hooked and KEEP them cruising in Haven??

Prices for Haven cabins are way too high so they must offer some of them at much lower pricing to sell them or else they will sail with empty cabins. The prices start high and you have to keep looking to see if there is any drop in pricing. It seems as the cruise sail date nears and cabins remain unsold, the upsell offers begin.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

The price we paid for 4 people two years ago was $5800, the following year $7000, next year $9500 (have not booked). These prices are for the same week year over year. Their pricing is way out in left field now as they are trying to charge Oceania prices on a main stream cruise line.

I have enjoyed the Haven but will not give my money away when I feel I am being taken advantage of. I mentioned the drastic increase in price to an NCL PCC and she told me it was because of inflation-this made me laugh.

I've booked suites on other lines like Celebrity and was considering the Haven for my first NCL in November. Then I read about all of the families/screaming kids running around to the point Haven adults feel the need to buy Vibe passes and saw the size/depth of their "pool" and said forget that. For the price point of Haven, I could do 2-3 cruises elsewhere.

If I get an upsell offer and the price is reasonable, I'd consider it but at full ask? Never.

How close to the sail date do upsells usually happen? My cruise is in 18 days and it looks like there are still quite a few Haven rooms available. Are they likely to be full by the sailing date?

There are many threads that suggest that you wait until the week of your cruise. It does not hurt to call and see what if anything is being offered, since upsell is only M-F. Inventory varies on ship and your sailing date. First suggestion, know what you paid and what all of the haven cabins that are available cost. It pays to spend a little time to do some mock bookings. The upsell is for first 2 people in cabin and no tax. 2nd know what you are willing to pay.

At 17 days out, I decided to call the upsell. I was going to wait, but my instinct told me to call. I was given an offer for a Spa Haven at $750 per person(mock booking would have been $950 more per person) and I was given upsell to H4 2 bedroom($1000)-only 4 at the time of my call. I was calculating on the phone(had the upsell person laughing). I called back after 5mins and took the deal.

My total cost is half of what the H4 is going for. I am happy. There are threads that say you can negotiate, but I knew what I was willing to pay. I would have taken a Haven penthouse, but they were gone. All 2 bedrooms are gone and we are 11 days away from cruising. I am keeping this a secret from my daughter until we arrive at the pier.

Good Luck follow your own instinct and not what others suggest. You may end up with what you want.:)

I wish I knew this last April cruise, because there were 4 of us and I could have used the space.

The availability of suites last min is the risk you take if waiting. Many people would rather pay the going price to ensure they get the cabin they want. The same adage of book the least expensive cabin you will be happy with applies to all categories. My Europe sailing has been sold out of Haven suites for some time now and the cruise isn't till Sept. Well there is one GV left but for two persons it's priced at 45k. Unless there is a mass cancelation prior to final payment I just don't see the H suites opening up like they do on the Caribbean sailings. I watch prices pretty regularly and just don't see the same patterns for prime Europe months sailings.

I think NCL is just getting a lot more for the suites than they previously were so they are not discounting and are able to price higher from the start. For those who are happy with their inside, OV or balcony and willing to wait till last min in hopes of upsell that's great but on many sailings that method won't work because they sell out at the current higher prices. NCL is only pricing them at what people will pay so it's not price gouging, it's just what people are paying.

The lucky few who are getting upsells are most likely cc members so are reporting their successes online. I would guess that the majority of people who paid list price are not even on cc and so unless they hear someone bragging about their price onboard they will never know about the last min discount someone received. Even better that NCL doesn't advertise this discount. I would be pretty upset seeing the stateroom priced at a fraction of what I paid but I would be quite happy for anyone who scored a last min upsell and chalk it up to good luck and persistence.

It's really no different than booking an inside and hoping to upgrade to balcony if price drops after final pmt. You might get lucky and might not. Just depends on if you are happy in the inside should the balcony sell out. Many know they wont be happy with an inside so will pay for the balcony at the start knowing they might see a price drop after final payment.

There are many threads that suggest that you wait until the week of your cruise. It does not hurt to call and see what if anything is being offered, since upsell is only M-F. Inventory varies on ship and your sailing date. First suggestion, know what you paid and what all of the haven cabins that are available cost. It pays to spend a little time to do some mock bookings. The upsell is for first 2 people in cabin and no tax. 2nd know what you are willing to pay.

At 17 days out, I decided to call the upsell. I was going to wait, but my instinct told me to call. I was given an offer for a Spa Haven at $750 per person(mock booking would have been $950 more per person) and I was given upsell to H4 2 bedroom($1000)-only 4 at the time of my call. I was calculating on the phone(had the upsell person laughing). I called back after 5mins and took the deal.

My total cost is half of what the H4 is going for. I am happy. There are threads that say you can negotiate, but I knew what I was willing to pay. I would have taken a Haven penthouse, but they were gone. All 2 bedrooms are gone and we are 11 days away from cruising. I am keeping this a secret from my daughter until we arrive at the pier.

Good Luck follow your own instinct and not what others suggest. You may end up with what you want.:)

I wish I knew this last April cruise, because there were 4 of us and I could have used the space.

Out of curiosity, do they offer different upsell amounts based on the price you paid for your original room or for the type of room you originally booked?

And, if we booked in 2 connecting rooms (for 4 people total) and were able to upsell to an H4, would the kids be able to use the Haven as well? Obviously, we wouldn't leave them in the original room by themselves, but we also wouldn't want to have to pay for 2 Haven rooms.